Check out my homemade 12 gauge "tracers"

Well I was shooting the other day and noticed my slug loads are going slow enough (~1,100-~1,200 fps) that 90% of the time you can see them in flight. I noticed that they would seem to tumble some in flight. That got me wondering how I could make those round balls more visible in flight. So I decided to paint them. One side is flat white while the other is gloss red. I figure that alternating colors should be more visible as the ball tumbles to the target.

These are loads where I pour out the shot of cheap practice ammo and replace it with a .69" round ball. Using Federal 100 round packs all I have to do is dump the shot and insert a round ball, no need for seperate cups.

Here are the pictures:

White side,

6fa6b417.jpg

Then the red side,

c465344b.jpg

how they look.

351b232c.jpg

And the finished product:

90496f03.jpg

I made a die to kind of angle the mouth in to keep the ball in place and aid in cycling. The cases are .77" OD and the mouth is .70", not much of an angle but enough to make the reliable. I did have some issues before with "slugs" but never with these balls. Probably because they are 1 1/4 ounce in weight.

My next batch is going to be yellow or orange and white.

Dolomite

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Slamskie

Dolomite.....you have created a devastatingly high powered Roman Candle....if only tritium wasn't so dang expensive you could have a night version for some real tracer rounds:)

Not sure it would work. I guess I could drill the lead balls for the mini chemlights. Break them then push them into the balls. At that point it would be more of a "can it be done" project and not of any practical use.

Speaking of chemlights I did this once. I sat down, popped about 20 of them then cut them open. I them put them in a battery operated squirt gun. It was like shooting tracers in the middle of the night. Pretty cool but ruined the squit gun.

Dolomite

Speaking of chemlights I did this once. I sat down, popped about 20 of them then cut them open. I them put them in a battery operated squirt gun. It was like shooting tracers in the middle of the night. Pretty cool but ruined the squit gun.

Dolomite

Back in high school I was at a buddy's house and we were playing with those 'glow stick' chem lights like kids sometimes carry at Halloween (or used to, anyhow.) He had his own bathroom and we decided to cut one open and pour it in his toilet, thinking it would look funny. We did so but when we turned out the lights we realized that we had spattered the stuff all over the place. I told him it looked like a Predator had been shot in his bathroom.

Dolomite, do you cast those round balls, yourself or do you buy them somewhere? I have an old, single shot Stevens 20 gauge that does really well with low brass hulls but after a few shots high brass sticks and will not eject (have to pry them out.) I've thoroughly cleaned the gun and even tried chucking a brush into my cordless drill. I got a lot of crud out but the problem persists. It throws the short brass hulls over my shoulder and a few feet away so I don't think it is the spring or anything.

Anyhow, I don't really 'need' to be able to fire slugs or buckshot from it but would like the option as it is relatively short, light and handy and has no sentimental value (I just bought it at a gun show a couple of years ago) so would make a good kick around/truck gun. Thing is, I can't find any low-brass 20 gauge slug or buckshot factory loads (kinda doubt there is such an animal.) I've thought about trying pretty much the same thing you do - maybe just prying open the star crimp on some low brass #8 and replacing the shot with a ball, slug or buckshot. Problem is, the only thing I have ever seen for sale is bags of smaller shot. If there is a source where I might find balls or slugs for a 20 gauge or maybe some loose buckshot, I'd like to know about it.

Edited by JAB
  • Admin Team

A guy I grew up with, but who was a couple years older than me enlisted in the Army straight out of high school. He had some mental issues, and about halfway through basic decided to end his time here on this earth. His method of choice, however ill informed was to cut the tops off of several dozen chemlights and consume the contents while they were out on a field exercise.

He failed to kill himself, but the horrific vomiting that ensued over the next 36 hours glowed in the dark.

Back in high school I was at a buddy's house and we were playing with those 'glow stick' chem lights like kids sometimes carry at Halloween (or used to, anyhow.) He had his own bathroom and we decided to cut one open and pour it in his toilet, thinking it would look funny. We did so but when we turned out the lights we realized that we had spattered the stuff all over the place. I told him it looked like a Predator had been shot in his bathroom.

Dolomite, do you cast those round balls, yourself or do you buy them somewhere? I have an old, single shot Stevens 20 gauge that does really well with low brass hulls but after a few shots high brass sticks and will not eject (have to pry them out.) I've thoroughly cleaned the gun and even tried chucking a brush into my cordless drill. I got a lot of crud out but the problem persists. It throws the short brass hulls over my shoulder and a few feet away so I don't think it is the spring or anything.

Anyhow, I don't really 'need' to be able to fire slugs or buckshot from it but would like the option as it is relatively short, light and handy and has no sentimental value (I just bought it at a gun show a couple of years ago) so would make a good kick around/truck gun. Thing is, I can't find any low-brass 20 gauge slug or buckshot factory loads (kinda doubt there is such an animal.) I've thought about trying pretty much the same thing you do - maybe just prying open the star crimp on some low brass #8 and replacing the shot with a ball, slug or buckshot. Problem is, the only thing I have ever seen for sale is bags of smaller shot. If there is a source where I might find balls or slugs for a 20 gauge or maybe some loose buckshot, I'd like to know about it.

I do cast my own balls for 12 gauge as well as slugs. I also cast 9mm and 45. I am getting ready to start casting for 30 caliber as well. As a matter of fact I cast everything I shoot except 22. I haven't done a lot of anything lately because of other issues but I need to before it gets too hot.

To cast your own you could get a Lee mold for $25. A cheap pot for $5 and a $5 bag of charcoal if you don't have a grill. Scrounge up some lead. You also need a ladle of some sort but for under $40 you could be casting your own. You need to make sure you do it outside and in a well ventilated area. I would also recommend a mask because if you small ANYTHING there is lead mixed in with it.

Here is a round ball mold for 20 gauge:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/556085/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-575-diameter-round-ball

And for the ammo use Federal because the cups work as is. I know with Remington you need different cups. And because the round balls are going to be close enough to the shot weight all you need to do is dump out the lead shot and insert a lead ball.

Or if you want you are more than welcome to come out to my place and use my casting equipment. I am about 20 miles east of Knoxville. It will take between 5 and 6 pounds of lead to make 100 balls.

Dolomite

I cast about another 15 pounds of round balls yesterday. They are dropping at ~487 grains or 1.113 ounces. I also cast some, about 100, of 45 caliber bullets.

I have contacted a guy who does a lot of 12 gauge wildcatting about a starting load for 2 of the 690 round balls. I can't imagine a more devastating round than two .69" round balls at 700-800 fps.

Here is some amazing stuff, not me but amazing none the less:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/72647-12ga-10ga-8ga-4ga-fh%3B-585he-700he%3B-other-big-bores/page__fromsearch__1

Dolomite

I do cast my own balls for 12 gauge as well as slugs. I also cast 9mm and 45. I am getting ready to start casting for 30 caliber as well. As a matter of fact I cast everything I shoot except 22. I haven't done a lot of anything lately because of other issues but I need to before it gets too hot.

To cast your own you could get a Lee mold for $25. A cheap pot for $5 and a $5 bag of charcoal if you don't have a grill. Scrounge up some lead. You also need a ladle of some sort but for under $40 you could be casting your own. You need to make sure you do it outside and in a well ventilated area. I would also recommend a mask because if you small ANYTHING there is lead mixed in with it.

Here is a round ball mold for 20 gauge:

http://www.midwayusa...eter-round-ball

And for the ammo use Federal because the cups work as is. I know with Remington you need different cups. And because the round balls are going to be close enough to the shot weight all you need to do is dump out the lead shot and insert a lead ball.

Or if you want you are more than welcome to come out to my place and use my casting equipment. I am about 20 miles east of Knoxville. It will take between 5 and 6 pounds of lead to make 100 balls.

Dolomite

Thanks for the info and offer, Dolomite. I do want to get into casting, eventually, but want to get started reloading in general, first. I have the equipment to start reloading .38/.357 and .44 I just haven't managed to get one of those round toits, yet. Having buckshot/ball/slug loads for the Stevens isn't imperative but it is nice to know that casting for it could be a relatively inexpensive project, eventually.

Edited by JAB