AR15 223 VS how many Jugs?

JeffsSig

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? is it because of the tumbleing of the 223?

Nope, it's because the .223 will fragment and dump it's energy rather than penetrate. For 55gr M193, and 62gr M855 that's pretty much true as long as the bullet is still going over 2400fps. As it gets slower, the bullet tends to fragment less, until under about 2400fps, it doesn't fragment at all. That's why troops complain about poor combat performance of the M4 at over 100 yards. At longer ranges, it tends to pass right through soft tissue with minimal damage.

do not know about milk jugs, but at or right at 200 the cheap black federal 193 will still go through 1/4" thick stainless like butter plus leave a nice cone shape hole on the 2 x 4 on the saw horse that it hangs from.

that round so also something i do not normally buy unless it is on sale, i try to use 223 most of time. less blast and recoil.

and as understand it this is not any kind of penatrator round. but i do believe milk jugs would be harder to do.

• Admin Team

There's a good old mythbusters episode where they go shooting a bunch of different calibers into a pool, trying to determine how deep you need to be if someone is shooting at you to avoid injury. The handgun calibers perform better in water because they're moving slower. I seem to recall them being surprised when they shoot the 5.56, .308 and .50BMG and don't do anything but pick up pieces of the bullet off the bottom of the pool.

Slow it down, and that's a different story, though.

The one that went the farthest, if I remember correctly, was a 12 gauge slug.

Take a look at this:

http://stevespages.com/jpg/bestbullet.jpg

Notice how the SIerra Pro Hunter has a penetration over 5 feet when the velocity is 1,900 fps but only 12" at 3,100 fps. It is because the bullet's integrity is overcome by the extra velocity. This is what will happen with any caliber and any bullet design. If you push any bullet design fast enough it WILL fail.

To give you an example. I was loading some 90 or 95 grain 380 bullets in 9mm and firing them out of a rifle. They were FMJ with a round nose. At velocities around 1,200-1,300, if I remember correctly, the bullet passed right through 2 one gallon jugs. They left nice clean holes all the way through. I took those sme bullets and pushed them to 2,000 fps (I know it was stupid) and the bullet never made it out of the first jug. There were bits and pieces of the jacket and lead in the jug, or what was left of it, but no exit. It literally turned the jug inside out but didn't hurt the second jug at all.

Dolomite

To give you an example. I was loading some 90 or 95 grain 380 bullets in 9mm and firing them out of a rifle. They were FMJ with a round nose. At velocities around 1,200-1,300, if I remember correctly, the bullet passed right through 2 one gallon jugs. They left nice clean holes all the way through. I took those sme bullets and pushed them to 2,000 fps (I know it was stupid) and the bullet never made it out of the first jug. There were bits and pieces of the jacket and lead in the jug, or what was left of it, but no exit. It literally turned the jug inside out but didn't hurt the second jug at all.

Dolomite

Was it stupid because of the pressures involved, other safety issues, or just silly? How was the noise and flash? If all that was manageable, your "stupid" idea could turn a 9mm carbine into a serviceable home defense-type weapon for those concerned with overpenetration, while providing way more kinetic energy than frangible handgun loads. I'm guessing those are big "ifs", but it still seems pretty interesting.

Well pushing a 9mm hard enough that the primer pockets were fall out loose is never a good thing. Noise and flash was similar to factory ammo, maybe a bit more of a crack. Realistically I wouldn't be concerned pushing it to 1,600 fps but not much beyond. And that is in a rifle only. It would no doubt turn the average pistol into a hand grenade.

I literally made about 10 rounds that day and never revisited it. It was pretty amazing shooting at steel at 50 yards with no perceivable delay. I was also very, very nervous working up to it. I would never load rounds for "later". It would be too easy for someone to load them into a pistol and get hurt.

I would never recommend anyone do the same and I will take the recipe to my grave.

Dolomite