Stupidly Overpowered Hunting Weapons

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That first photo is NOT a .577. It's like some old school 4 bore or maybe a .700 nitro.

This brings up a good point. What's up with the overcompensation some hunters around TN have? I saw a guy at the range last year sighting in his "deer rifle" . It was ungodly loud and the smell of sulphur was so strong I thought a demon might be possessing someone. Turns out to be a .30-378 Weatherby. I didn't say anything but I did ask where 'bouts he hunted to which he replied, oh all around middle TN. Well, if he's happy I'm happy but what the heck????? I used to work with a guy who deer hunted with a .416 remington or a .458 Win. Yeah....

Hah, that is funny.

I think the issue around here isnt that a 30-30 or less is good enough for anything, its that people have all these toys and want to use them. I can understand that. Its hard to turn down a gun that calls to you, and if it can take an elephant at 1500 yards, but you WANT it, you buy it & then go looking for a practical application.... and all that comes to mind is blowing a deer in half at 75 yards.

I guess overpowered is in the eyes of the hunter and what they hunt. Personally being a person who likes to eat what I kill, i'd refer to only use what is necessary for the job to preserve the most meat.

I have never found mch useful in the old large bore rifles. Ammo has improved much over the years and less is necessary. I have shot a 700 nitro double gun and have no use t'all for the dang things. I have never shot anything or hunted with anyone who needed more than a 570 mitro. some like to hunt with th old rifles, but the dang 700 jut outright hurts.

I think my favorite large bore, powerful is the 416 Remington. There are few animals on earth that the 416 is too small to use. That is one sweet rifle and IMO has less recoil than the 375 H&H. Though some I guess like the wildcat rounds theyuse, ultrapowerful rifles on the deer in this part of the country is way overkill, literally.

Some just like to say they hunt with this or that. In the end though it really comes down to what one hunts with as to what is overly large or powerful.

"Too powerful" is a meaningless term. Is it dangerous to others? Does it fail to accomplish it's purpose?

The .577 t-rex is more of a showpiece than a true hunting tool. I've never actually seen one used for hunting. But if I had a Cape Buffalo charging at me, I might not feel that it was 'too powerful'! Call me 'chicken', but my idea of a weapon for use against Cape Buffalo and similar creaturees is a vehicle-mounted 20mm auto-cannon.

I don't hunt much any more, but generally my concern was with dropping the critter quickly without destroying meat. If it's a nuisance critter like a coyote, meat is obviously not a concern any more.

Back when I actually thought I might get to go on a safari, I had a .416 Rigby on an Enfield action. Frankly, it was about as much recoil as I felt I could handle and still make accurate multiple shots. I probably ran 400rds through it practicing quick 2nd and 3rd shots so that I could place my shots quickly and accurately.

People these days seem to foget that it really was not that long ago that the .32-20 was considered a useful cartridge for deer. A 100gr bullet at a whopping 1200fps and 325 ft/lbs is hardly considered 'high-powered' these days.

As always, shot placement seems to trump power most of the time. Even if you're shooting Cape Buffalo with a 20mm auto-cannon from a vehicle, whacking it in the tail is still not a good hit. ;)

The article was obviously written by folks who at best know little about guns and who, at worst, are anti-gun. Reference the dumbass comment about FMJ being more 'humane' than expanding bullets. Hell, FMJ are not legal for hunting in TN because such hunting with FMJ would be inhumane.

I agree that some folks seem to terribly overestimate what is needed for hunting certain animals, etc. That said, any somewhat valid or humorous points the article might have otherwise made were overwhelmed by their holier-than-thou, anti-gun, anti-hunting attitude.

Edited by JAB

The article was obviously written by folks who at best know little about guns and who, at worst, are anti-gun. Reference the dumbass comment about FMJ being more 'humane' than expanding bullets. Hell, FMJ are not legal for hunting in TN because such hunting with FMJ would be inhumane.

I agree that some folks seem to terribly overestimate what is needed for hunting certain animals, etc. That said, any somewhat valid or humorous points the article might have otherwise made were overwhelmed by their holier-than-thou, anti-gun, anti-hunting attitude.

Honestly to me it didn't come across as anti-gun or anti-hunting. I just don't think they know any better.

Honestly to me it didn't come across as anti-gun or anti-hunting. I just don't think they know any better.

Maybe - but my feeling was that they don't know much about the subjects of guns and hunting and think that learning anything about guns and hunting is 'beneath' them. Not knowing about guns, hunting, etc. certainly didn't stop them from thinking they were qualified to write a two page piece about the subjects.

Well, you can tell the author just googled and assembled for sure. The 2 or 4 bore or whatever it is round in hand is NOT a trex, which is a necked cartridge. There are a couple of other mistakes too, as someone noted FMJ is a used in military applications to allow the soldier to recover, a gentleman's approach to war, and a bullet designed to ensure the victim survives isnt humane hunting! Now, a FMJ tumbler is as good as a JHP, and should be as humane, but thats getting too deep for this guy to even think about.

I would say he has nothing against legit hunting but is woefully uneducated. The turkey slicer.... is humane and going to take some skill to use. I dare the author to try to behead an animal clean with that thing, would be a heck of a shot for most. Most archers I see could barely hit a deer at all, anywhere on the body, at 50 yards. A turkey head, they would have to be 10 feet away --- the birds do NOT stand still for long usually.

The big caliber stuff gives the hunter no advantage, really. It makes a mess, breaks your shoulder, and the animal is just as dead as it would be with a 223. Its not overpowered in terms of giving the hunter an edge.

The blind is not that much better than a standard one. Its cooler, by far, and makes some great photos, but animals are not going to see a standard blind any better.

I think this guy is totally into the blood & guts, not a PETA style guy at all. I suspect he actually got a thrill thinking about the applications of these tools, rather than being disgusted.

Edited by Jonnin