Eagle Hunting

The USDA and USFWS gave permission for native americans to hunt and kill bald eagles for religious purposes. The same government organizations that will not let me hunt a PIG for FOOD, is allowing the Hunting and killing of eagles.....some world we live in.....

The USDA and USFWS gave permission for native americans to hunt and kill bald eagles for religious purposes. The same government organizations that will not let me hunt a PIG for FOOD, is allowing the Hunting and killing of eagles.....some world we live in.....

Let's not overblow the actual impact - one tribe, two eagles, one time permit.

I agree the symbolic implications are troubling.

- OS

• Like 1

One tribe, two eagles and one time permit. Does this still not set back the eagle restoration effort of how many years? I find it very discusting as a sportsman and conservationist that these great birds are going to be killed.

One tribe, two eagles and one time permit. Does this still not set back the eagle restoration effort of how many years? I find it very discusting as a sportsman and conservationist that these great birds are going to be killed.

Conservation effort totally unaffected. The eagle was taken off endangered list 17 years ago and off the threatened list 5 years ago.

For all I know, there may be more eagles than Arapaho.

I said the symbolism is troubling, like pissing on a flag or something, but not the environmental aspect. It bothers me more about the many whales various tribes are allowed to harvest each year, but can sort of understand that too I guess.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

The issue is some groups get to exercise their traditions while some do not. There has been a lot of tax dollars expended in getting the national bird off the endangered and threatened lists. Wonder if they will take a mating pair. If not then four eagles will be affected instead of two. Just saying..

Personally, I am not one for supporting something based on "tradition". Let's take a minute and look back at all the "traditions" that are no longer socially or legally acceptable.

I don't mind the killing of the two eagles. I have lived in Alaska and seen a glacier flat creek, lined, shoulder to shoulder, as far as I could see, with bald eagles. There are enough that killing two won't hurt the population anymore than bear hunters taking their limits in Tennessee, or Elk Hunters taking their limits in Kentucky. I just don't like the inconsistent "rules" our government establishes. You can't kill whales or seals or eagles. Wait, ok, you can kill them if your a native American. You can't discriminate based on race or religion. Wait, ok, you can if you are doing it to ensure a state college is diverse enough.

These permits were supposed to have been available all along. No one has ever been granted until now. There is a government "catch" of dead eagles that are available for Native American ceremony use, but these birds are decayed and unfit for religious ceremony. Another problem: unless the Native American is a member of a federally recognized tribe, these eagle parts are off limits. There are many non-federal tribes. Some have state recognition, while others have none. I am a member of a non federally recognized tribe. The permit issued is a small victory, but there is a lot of things that still need change.

I fully support protecting our eagles, as well as other animals, but a promise is a promise. Most of the promises made to Native Americans have not been fully kept and I am glad to see at least one that has been.I also understand the problems that can be caused when one group is given permission and another is not. There is a lot of grey area in this...

I agree, I'm all for protecting species that are endangered. Eagles no longer fit this category. The US has broken

most, if not all the treaties/promises they made to Native Americans over the years. A couple of eagles is but a

drop in the ocean as payment for what they're owed.