NEF .22LR 9 shot "Won't eject"

Guest Nunya

Guest Nunya

Got a cool little NEF (looks like the old H&R) revolver. Shoots consistenty, but I think it's been dropped or otherwise damaged. Where the barrel is pinned to the frame is a little off to one side. The front sight was off and I have that moving in the right direction. I figure those are really the same issue and I'm compensating for the angle of the barrel by adjusting the front sight. I'm not really worried about that becuase it doesn't get warm until about 50 rounds.

But there's another issue...

The shells will hardly come out. I've cleaned agressively with bore cleaner and brushes of varying sizes. Though I've developed a pretty efficient "thumping" method to force the ejector up, it just don't seem right to have to do that. The ejector moves freely without shells and before it's fired.

I've tried different kinds of .22LR and they all do the same thing, so I'm convinced it's the gun.

Thoughts?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got an H&R 9 shot and it does the same thing. Its not like I have to use a hammer to get them out but I just have to push a little harder on the ejector to get the spent cases out.

Z90 and I were just talking about these today at a shoot together. I've got an older HR 9 shot, the 922, rod and cylinder have to come all the way out of mine, though it does have the star ejection (you use rod to stick in other end of cylinder once it's out).

HR.jpg

Anyway, no probs with spent cases, come out pretty easily. Some you can just shake out, sometimes have to use the rod, but with no real force at all.

If there's really no buildup of anything in those cylinders, only thing I can think is that the machining must have been a few microns off during certain spells of those models' runs. Though I don't know what would be involved to mill them out just a scootch.

Mine shoots a bit high and left, but barrel seems aligned. My timing pawl (or whatever that giz is called) must be worn slightly out of spec though, as I get just a tad of discernible blow back now and then. But I don't see any buildup at chamber or on butt of cylinder after shooting, kind of mysterious.

Probably like you already have, Benton, I did a few Googles to see if could find anything about the prob, but came up with zilch. Found one mention that guy had sticking casings, but only after firing enough to get it dirty.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

It sounds like it's been dry fired and the firing pin may have put a very small dimple in the edge of the chamber. I had this happen to a single six I bought. Someone had dry fired it a lot. I ended up having to break out the magnifier and the dremel and dress the edge EVER so slightly.

It sounds like it's been dry fired and the firing pin may have put a very small dimple in the edge of the chamber. I had this happen to a single six I bought. Someone had dry fired it a lot. I ended up having to break out the magnifier and the dremel and dress the edge EVER so slightly.

Thanks for that, seems to be a pretty logical postulation of cause; must admit I feel chagrined for not thinking of it.

- OS

Guest Nunya

Thanks for that, seems to be a pretty logical postulation of cause; must admit I feel chagrined for not thinking of it.

- OS

If you are embarrassed by not having thought of it, I feel like an idiot for not understanding what he said. Could you explain that in smaller words for me, Caster?

Guest Nunya

Z90 and I were just talking about these today at a shoot together. I've got an older HR 9 shot, the 922, rod and cylinder have to come all the way out of mine, though it does have the star ejection (you use rod to stick in other end of cylinder once it's out).

- OS

I actually have one of those, too. Never had any trouble out of it.

Guest Nunya

So, it may just be one chamber (hole in the cylinder) that's causing the trouble? I guess if I can't see it, I could shoot one chamber at a time until one sticks. Hmmm.

So, it may just be one chamber (hole in the cylinder) that's causing the trouble? I guess if I can't see it, I could shoot one chamber at a time until one sticks. Hmmm.

VERY well could be. That would be a cheap [and fun] way to test the theory. If you find one that is sticky, get a jeweler loupe or something and lots and lots of light. Look inside the rebated area that the rim sits in and focus on where the firing pin would be located when that chamber is in battery. If you see a little dimple, chances are, that's it.

Guest Nunya

VERY well could be. That would be a cheap [and fun] way to test the theory. If you find one that is sticky, get a jeweler loupe or something and lots and lots of light. Look inside the rebated area that the rim sits in and focus on where the firing pin would be located when that chamber is in battery. If you see a little dimple, chances are, that's it.

Cool. I get it now. I'll take a :dropjaw: . Thanks guys!

Guest Nunya

Took it to the range again today. One chamber at a time, fully loaded and not. There were two chambers that bound up the works after they were fired. Both of them were resistant to release for the first `1/64 or so.

Do you think that means the issue us down in the chamber (where the end of the shell bottoms out) or at the top, where the rim of the shell rests?

I'm gonna get the microscope out.

Took it to the range again today. One chamber at a time, fully loaded and not. There were two chambers that bound up the works after they were fired. Both of them were resistant to release for the first `1/64 or so.

Do you think that means the issue us down in the chamber (where the end of the shell bottoms out) or at the top, where the rim of the shell rests?

I'm gonna get the microscope out.

If it's from hammer hitting from dry firing, at the top, where hammer would fall if no shell in there.

edit: wow, synchronized responses

Edited by OhShoot

I have an old H&R 930 9 shot .22 revolver that I just bought a year or two back. Starting with it clean, it tends to start getting a little 'sticky' on ejecting after firing a few cylinders full. Even with totally clean chambers, it wants to 'bind' a bit if I fire hypervelocity LR ammo through it. In fact, it takes quite a lot of pressure to eject hypervelocity empties and I don't shoot them through it very much. Shorts eject with no problems (and, for whatever reason, seem a bit more accurate from mine.) In the case of my revolver, I think it is just the 'nature of the beast' and not something to be fixed - but it sounds like yours is sticking worse than mine.

That said I have a six shot Taurus 66 (.357) I picked up a couple of years ago that was made in the late '80s. This did not look like a 20+ year old gun - more like a one or two year old gun - and I think I soon figured out why. Empties took so much pressure to eject that I sometimes had to put the end of the ejection rod against a hard surface and push to get them out. Unfired rounds would drop right out but empties, after firing, would bind terribly. Eventually, I realized that even the empties would sometimes simply fall out if I turned the gun with the muzzle pointed up with the cylinder open and shook the gun a bit. Well, all the empties except for one chamber. Ejecting that one chamber still took as much pressure as ejecting all six so I knew that chamber was the problem. I inspected the chamber and for the life of me couldn't find anything wrong. I started watching the brass from that chamber and realized it was leaving a long, hair-thin scratch on the empties. Looking very closely at the area of the chamber that corresponded with that scratch, I finally saw a tiny burr that was probably smaller than an average grain of sand near the mouth of the chamber. A few seconds with some fairly fine grit sandpaper and the problem was solved. Empties - even from 180 grain hard cast Buffalo Bore loads - now eject just as easily as they should.

Edited by JAB

wife is on her second high cap 22 mag revolver and both of them also get sticky fast. I think its partially the extra capacity means that much more force required to eject the shells. 8, 9, and 10 shot varieties are a lot more surface area to increase the friction over a 6 shooter.