Shipping Legalitites? Barrels, Frames, Etc...

xRUSTYx

Hey Guys ...

I have a friend who does some amazing polish jobs on steel, and wanted to send my barrel to him. He isn't an FFL, and I would simply be sending him the barrel, no other parts.

He's in a different state (that is gun friendly - not a Komi state).

I guess I'm trying to find out whether or not it would be legal to send it to him or if it would have to go through an FFL.

From my research, people seem to concur that S/N parts (Frames) would need to go through an FFL, but barrels, slides, misc parts, won't.

The problem being, my gun has a serial number on it.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brianf88

I believe barrels and such are ok since, one you can buy upgraded barrels online shipped to you and two when the gun is not as a whole it is inoperatable correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Brianf88

The receiver (or frame, in case of revolvers) is the firearm.

Barrels, slides, and whatnot may also have serial numbers on them (XDs have matching serial numbers on all three components, for example), but they are not "firearms", and may be sent to anyone, intrastate or interstate, by USPS, UPS, or FedEx. Ground or express.

Otherwise you couldn't buy all that nifty stuff online for your guns, eh?

- OS

I believe barrels and such are ok since, one you can buy upgraded barrels online shipped to you and two when the gun is not as a whole it is inoperatable correct me if I am wrong.

You are wrong, in the sense that functionality doesn't enter the equation -- an "inoperable" receiver or revolver frame is a "firearm" and must be treated the same as an entire functioning firearm.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest 6.8 AR

You can ship any part, except the receiver, to anyone. If you are shipping a complete gun back

to the manufacturer for them to repair or refinish, that's okay, too, and they can ship it back

directly to you.

Hey OS ...

Appreciate the well thought out answer. This is indeed for my XDm, so with an S/N on the barrel, got me really confused!

Appreciate it!

No prob.

Ultimately, serial number is not even a determining factor on receiver/frame. Serial numbers on firearms were not even required before 1968 and there are plenty of older ones that don't have one at all, but the receiver/frame is nonetheless a "firearm".

- OS

Guest Brianf88

You are wrong, in the sense that functionality doesn't enter the equation -- an "inoperable" receiver or revolver frame is a "firearm" and must be treated the same as an entire functioning firearm. So even if you have a frame with out any firing mechanisms in it, it is a firearm?

- OS

So even if you have a frame with out any firing mechanisms in it, it is a firearm?

For BATF regulations as for ownership, transfer and shipping, yes.

A revolver frame, a semi-auto or pump or lever or bolt etc. receiver: yes

THIS is a firearm, for example: It must transfer to you through an FFL if bought from retailer. Must have 4473 paperwork before you may have it in hand.

Frankfurt.jpg

This is NOT a firearm: It can be shipped directly to you from retailer, or walk out of the local store with it, no paperwork required.

d8fa9d2fc99d3191a48744d537d56f73.image.750x532.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Brianf88

Utilizing a removable, serialized sub-chassis the Nano pistol can be easily modified with replaceable grip frames and is simple to disassemble and maintai.

This is what messed me up as this removable frame to change you do not need ffl to ship or receive.

Utilizing a removable, serialized sub-chassis the Nano pistol can be easily modified with replaceable grip frames and is simple to disassemble and maintai.

This is what messed me up as this removable frame to change you do not need ffl to ship or receive.

The Beretta NEOS is same way. However, the plastic grip frame is not the receiver.

Receiver (where serial number is, also) is part 81.

ber-NEOS.gif

Yep, Beretta gave me permission. :)

- OS

About a year and a half ago I sent my sw990L to Smith & Wesson in complete form minus the magizines. They had sent me the shipping label with instructions to ship via Fed Express. I did have to inform the people at Fed Ex but other than that it was a painless procedure. Two weeks later it was delivered to my home by FedEx. Based on that I would assume your good to go shipping a barrel.