I'm getting a temp permit

Guest mtsusean

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep....AFAIK there is no time limit on the state to issue a renewal. But in the past generally has not been a problem.

Mine expires in May of '09. May see if a family member wants to pay for my renewal as a Christmas present this year. :wave:

Well who really knows with the state...

T.C.A. 39-17-1351

(l) The department shall issue a permit to an applicant not prohibited from obtaining a permit under this section no later than ninety (90) days after the date the department receives the application. A permit issued prior to the department's receipt of the Tennessee and federal bureaus of investigation's criminal history record checks based upon the applicant's fingerprints shall be subject to immediate revocation if either record check reveals that the applicant is not eligible for a permit pursuant to the provisions of this section.

Just says "applicant" doesn't really say new or renewal. So....

But renewals are addressed in a different sub-part.

(q) (1) Prior to the expiration of a permit, a permit holder may apply to the department for the renewal of the permit by submitting, under oath, a renewal application with a renewal fee of fifty dollars ($50.00). The renewal application shall be on a standard form developed by the department of safety and shall require the applicant to disclose, under oath, the information concerning the applicant as set forth in subsection ©, and shall require the applicant to certify that the applicant still satisfies all the eligibility requirements of this section for the issuance of a permit. In the event the permit expires prior to the department's approval or issuance of notice of denial regarding the renewal application, the permit holder shall be entitled to continue to use the expired permit; provided, however, that the permit holder shall also be required to prove by displaying a receipt for the renewal application fee that the renewal application was delivered to the department prior to the expiration date of the permit.

The very fact the mention the ability to carry with a receipt of renewal looks like to me they expect some permits to expire before the issued renewals even in the best of times and that is with the abilty to apply for a renewal up to 6 months before expiration.

To me an "applicant" is just that whether it is new or renew, but this appear to be special times so to speak.

Edited by Fallguy

I suspect the receipt extension was intended for folks who paid for their renewal at the last second. But that's not what the code says.

Looks like the original intention was to allow the sheriff to have 30 days for his input and another 30 days for the background check. The last 30 should be for the standard bureaucratic inertia.

With that TV report, they are probably doing a more thorough review of all applications and renewals, and maybe current permit holders as time allows.

I think I'll put in for a duplicate permit just for fun. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Guest mtsusean

Finally received my renewal this week,

so since I first posted this on 04-24-2008, and it had been a month passed already,

approximately 90 days to get a renewal. Wow.

Guest mtsusean

oddly enough, it came enclosed with a Davidson county voter registration/address change application. I don't see the connection. Or maybe I'm tired from driving in from Myrtle Beach today and am just punch drunk.

Guest HexHead
Just send the renewal 90 days before the permit expires and you won't have to worry with this stuff.

That's a lot of what I got from this topic. :)

Nonsense. They've had my renewal paperwork since the end of February.

My wife got her initial permit yesterday, turned in her paperwork 3/24.

Guest HexHead
Hex,

Have you called them and asked them to explain what is taking so long?

First time I called in early May, they said they were backlogged 4 months and sent me the temp letter. The 2nd time I called two weeks ago they took my name and number and never got back to me.

Guest db99wj
First time I called in early May, they said they were backlogged 4 months and sent me the temp letter. The 2nd time I called two weeks ago they took my name and number and never got back to me.

I would call them back.