A pretty .357 mag

Guest Lester Weevils

Guest Lester Weevils

Not much profound to say. Was looking at the current brands and models of .357 mag revolver. I only have one .357 mag revolver and was trying to decide which one that would be best if I get a "spare". Since I already have a 4" barrel, would ideally like a longer barrel in the next one, just for variety. Similarly, though a 6 shooter is fine, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have a 7 or 8 shooter.

Ruger, Taurus, and S&W all make some nice-looking revolvers. Hadn't paid much attention to S&W model 27 in the past, but recently somebody was selling an old one here and I finally noticed that a 27 is real good looking in an "old fashioned" way.

However S&W has been selling an 8 shot performance center 5" barrel 627 for over a decade, that is only a few hundred bucks more spensive than the model 27. Am sure I've seen this model before, but just now realized that it is about the "most elegant" looking .357 mag revolver to my eye. It somehow has a "perfection" of form similar to an inox 92FS. Visual impression is elusive to explain. The stock 4" barrel 627 isn't that much different in appearance than the 5" performance center, but somehow doesn't look quite as "aesthetically balanced". Similarly a 7 shot 686 5" Pro model looks pretty good, but somehow lacks "ideal visual proportional balance".

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course. Tis difficult to explain. It seems doubtful that just adding the round-butt wood grip to the stock 627 would quite do the trick. Something about the extra inch of barrel better matching the large frame? Along the same lines my 4" full-lug barrel 586 always seemed to have a "very good" visual balance. On the other hand the 6" 586 full-lug barrels look visually balanced as well. Hmmm, S&W announced they will be selling 586 4" and 6" in 2012. Maybe ought to just get a 6" 586 to go along with the 4" 586.

Below in sequence, from the S&W site, 4" barrel model 27, 5" barrel 8 shot pro-center 627, stock 4" barrel 627, and 5" barrel 7 shot 686 Plus Pro, 4" 586 full-lug barrel.

150339_01_md.jpg

170210_01_md.jpg

178014_01_md.jpg

178038_01_md.jpg

150909_01_md.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

if I was looking for a shooter,id opt for a 686 or 586 ..early models have no lock

I shoot a 686plus ,had it listed for sale for a bit but every time I shoot it it makes me smile so

I am keeping it ,its a 7 shot 6" model.,...It gives me that Dirty Harry feeling every time I take aim with it

Every collection needs a S&W 357 :) I own 3 a 19 ,66 and 686

Edited by SonnyCrockett

I guess I am old school, but I like the big grips on my old S&W 19 more. Here is a pic of one like it.. http://thefiringline...ad.php?t=415969

I think the bottom is closest to that, and it feels awesome to shoot.

The wood grips with finger grooves gets a nod at being very nice looking, but too small. The top one, the grips are way too small. For a shooter, those rubber grips probably feel great but are not attractive to me.

If you get a popular model, you will find a wide variety of grips for it, something will appeal to you.

Edited by Jonnin

My vote has to go with the "old faithful" Model 27 and it's newer cousin the 686 full-lug barrel model. Classic lines that just can't be beaten. And the full size, target style grips just enhance the looks o' so much.

Yeah, I guess I'm old school in my revolvers. But why change perfection?

Guest Brianf88

I like the rhino in 6 in it is so ugly that its cool. I want the sw 500 though for my big revolver and dare I say get it engraved! Or the pro jerry model in 45 that one is nice!

Go for the 27. Its a .357 built on a .44 frame ( n frame). Will handle full power. 357 allday long unlike the 19.

The "weakness" of the 19 was way overblown. I own several (and have shot dozens) of them for 3 decades now without any problems whatsoever. Matter of fact I have never seen or heard of any in my community that have ever had a problem. Kinda like the glock kb problem....It happens....somewhere I am sure.

Guest Scramasax

Like my Smith N frames 31/2,4,5 inch, 357.41mag/45acp,44spl. Love to add the 627 pro to the lineup. An yes Brianf88 the Rhino is sooo ugly it's cool enough that I have two 5". Don't forget the ultimate .357 revolvdr Colt Python. Carry an N frame long enough and you see why cop uniformes included SamBrown belts.

Don't like the frame lock, but have learned to deal with it.

Cheers,

ts

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks for all the good ideas.

Appearance is not the only thing that matters but S&W reputation plus excellent experience with the 586 and the previous traded-off 649-- Am confident that any of the S&W revolvers are well-made and shoot fine, so appearance is a remaining decision.

Called some local stores. Apparently they don't routinely stock 27's or 627's. A couple of dealers at East Ridge gun show apparently specialize in S&W revolvers. IIRC last time I went, prices were crazy high. Not caring about collector value but would like a "near new gun" whether new or used.

I guess I am old school, but I like the big grips on my old S&W 19 more. Here is a pic of one like it.. http://thefiringline...ad.php?t=415969

I think the bottom is closest to that, and it feels awesome to shoot.

The wood grips with finger grooves gets a nod at being very nice looking, but too small. The top one, the grips are way too small. For a shooter, those rubber grips probably feel great but are not attractive to me.

That Model 19 looks great too.

Bought the 586 used at a gun store in late 1990's. Original cardboard box and papers for about $300. It is an early 1980's model. If the original owner had shot it in 15 years, he had barely shot it. Looked new and doesn't look too shabby today though it has by now been definitely shot a few times. :)

The old 586 came with wood grips that seemed wider at the bottom than modern S&W wood grip models. May be remembering wrong. It also came with rubber grips in the box. The big wood grips initially felt hard to hang on-to. Kept expecting recoil to rotate the gun upward in the hand and spoil the grip, though it never did in practice. Installed the rubber grips soon after purchase which are still on it. I ought to try the original wood grips again and see if I like em better 10+ years later. The old gun is still in clean condition --SW586_4Inch.jpg

Reading on the web, it said the old 586's go for $500 or $600 nowadays in good shape, assuming you can find one fer sail. Wonder if S&W re-releasing 2012 586 models will raise or lower the price of old ones in good shape? Retail on the new ones is north of $800.

Some people talk down the new S&W models. They don't like the lock or transfer bar firing pin and say the quality isn't as good. Dunno how much there is to that. Guess it might be cheaper and better to get an old 6" barrel "practically new" 586, assuming somebody had one for sale. Such a beast might be hard to find.

if I was looking for a shooter,id opt for a 686 or 586 ..early models have no lock

I like the first one and the last one :)

My vote has to go with the "old faithful" Model 27 and it's newer cousin the 686 full-lug barrel model. Classic lines that just can't be beaten. And the full size, target style grips just enhance the looks o' so much.

Yep beginning to think the same way.

I like the rhino in 6 in it is so ugly that its cool. I want the sw 500 though for my big revolver and dare I say get it engraved! Or the pro jerry model in 45 that one is nice!

Agreed the Rhino is attractive as a science fiction revolver. Ain't mocking. There is just the old versus the new.