Country Home Protection?

Say All...

I'm considering installing an eight foot chain link fence, with the three rows of barbed wire on the top around the perimeter of my home. You and I have seen this type of installation hundreds of times I'm sure. So, before I begin, I have some questions. I'm left-handed so please excuse me if I'm thinking in my "right" mind...

It seems to me the idea of installing a chain link fence with barbed wire, is to keep people "out", not in? Each and every installation of barbed wire on top of a fence I've seen, has the barbed wire installation slanting at 45 degrees "inward" to the property. Correct me if I'm wrong but, is that not much easier to climb and get over into the property rather than have it reversed and have the 45 degree barbed wire angled away from the protected property?

Surely there is some logic I just don't understand? Before you reply, think of how much more difficult it would be to get on your property if the barbed wire on top of the 8 foot chain link fence was installed outward.

What ya think?

To answer the basic question; it makes sense to me that if you want to keep people out you would want the barbed wire facing "out". However, I think it would be pretty effective no matter which was it was facing.

I have to say though; if I felt I needed that sort of fencing around my property to keep people out I would move to a better location....truly; regardless of which way the barbed wire is facing, is sounds like you are building a prison for yourself. Just my observation. :)

You need concertina wire, razor wire. Kids will just throw a rug over barbed wire and climb it in seconds. I know.....senator Jesse Cole had a fishing pond that had 2 pound Shell Crackers and 10lb Bass. We used to climb that fence like it was nothin'...............just saying.

Dogs would really help. If you got dogs, you don't need razor wire.....

Edited by Will Carry

As Robert said, sounds like you would be putting yourself in prison. I would move before I put up a fence like that.

Very likely to make someone say, "with that fence, they must have something valuable in there...I believe I might just need to find out what it is". Even the cheapest bolt cutters go through chain link like butter. As Will said, dogs have to be the next line of defense.

Another thought...if I wanted to enter a property surrounded by a chain-link fence, I'd just cut my way in. That is somewhat difficult to do in a prison when you are trying to get out but on the outside world the tools you would need wouldn't be that hard to come by.

If I wanted to protect my property, I would think there are both more effective and more esthetically appealing ways than a wire fence...natural barriers, perimeter alarms, etc.

well let's see set of bolt cutters clip fence walk right in or dig at bottom and crawl right in 5,000 dollars for fence 20.00 ammo and what Robert said

Edited by ted
Guest ExTexan

WTF are you talking about?

My best guess would be a $5000 mail order bride?

I honestly think it was auto correct fixing a misspelled "fence" with fiance.

Edited by ExTexan

Heck, just put up some signs like "Trespassers will be shot - survivors will be prosecuted!" or "Warning: If you are found here at night, you will be found here in the morning." or even, "I can't afford a fence, so just keep the f*ck out - it'll save me a trip to court and you a trip to the morgue."

Fences are like locks, they keep out honest people and emergency responders. Like others have said, If it's that bad where you live, I'd skip the new fence and look for a new house in a different area.

Razor wire facing outward can be cut easier then wire facing inward.

Razer wire facing outward on an 8' fence can be cut by a man that's standing on the ground. For a man to cut razor wire on an 8' fence facing inward, he has to climb the fence.

Edited by strickj

If the razor wire if facing outward (towards the street) all someone has to do is reach up with a set of wire cutters.

He can not reach the razor wire if it's facing inward (towards the house).

Why would you mess with the razor wire on top of the fence regardless of whether if's facing in or out?

If I'm standing before a chain link fence and wanted in, I wouldn't care what is on the top...I'm going to cut the fence and walk (well, maybe crawl) through.

Why would you mess with the razor wire on top of the fence regardless of whether if's facing in or out?

If I'm standing before a chain link fence and wanted in, I wouldn't care what is on the top...I'm going to cut the fence and walk (well, maybe crawl) through.

Well, it would take a few seconds to snip three wires and hop over. I suppose it would take longer to make several cuts (or one cut and un-threading a link).

Well, it would take a few seconds to snip three wires and hop over. I suppose it would take longer to make several cuts (or one cut and un-threading a link).

Well...maybe you can hop better, faster and higher than I can but I'm not going to be hopping an 8' fence anytime soon; with or without razor wire on top of it! :)

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest Lester Weevils

Yep cheap chinese bolt cutters go thru chain link like butter and the weave unravels easy after a few cuts. Nearly falls apart.

I don't think chain link is ugly and it is useful with dogs. I like 6 foot cedar privacy fence as well. Never had a property completely surrounded by privacy fence. It would look good but might feel more like a jail than chain link? You can see surrounding countryside thru chain link so it might not feel as "claustrophobic" as a solid opaque fence? OTOH with chain link you can't walk around the yard naked.

We installed 5 foot chain link in the back yard woods for extra dog run. It wouldn't have been THAT much more expensive for 6 foot or 8 foot. Labor would be near-identical. Wish I had got at least 6 foot but the 5 foot works fine so far. Asked the fence guy for advice. He said he'd sell anything I want but he figured that if a dog can climb a 5 foot fence then he can probably also climb a 6 foot or 8 foot fence. MOST dogs can't do a running jump over a five-foot fence, so the climbers are the problem

Maybe that's why some tall rural fences have barb wire facing in? To keep in coon hounds and other good climbers?

One of mine is a digger and the fence bottom has to be reinforced. The other dog will go over a four foot fence like it's nothing but he never went over the five foot fence. I bet he could get over the five footer if he wanted to. Dogs that climb trees shouldn't have much trouble with fences if they want on the other side bad enough.

Edited by Lester Weevils

I'd personally go with some extremely thorny hedge rows but if your heart is set on the 8' chain link fence w/ barbed wire, may want to get some bio hazard warning signs to throw up after SHTF too. People see the fence and will think you have something worth protecting and willl want to cut or dig their way in. Throw up a few disease control area signs and hide some rotten animal parts around the edge, giving a odor of death and folks will think twice about wanting to go in there.

diseasecontrolarea.jpg

Guest ochretoe

Around here folks put up a 4 or 5 foot fence and get goats. Goats scare the crap out of a lot of people for some reason. throw in a big dog and you are set.