Who needs an AR, check out my Mini!

Great looking rifle! He did and excellent job with the camo. The two Mini-14's I had, wouldn't group after 3 to 5 rounds, While they have a nice clean lines, which I really like, I won't be going down that line again.

Great looking rifle! He did and excellent job with the camo. The two Mini-14's I had, wouldn't group after 3 to 5 rounds, While they have a nice clean lines, which I really like, I won't be going down that line again.

Ruger should have probably just renamed the Mini after all the improvements of the current 580-581 series. At least call it Mini14-II or something, so at least folks would have to compare the two generations against each other rather than just lump them all together.

- OS

I had a mini 14 once for about 2 weeks about 20 years ago. . I cant see me ever selling my Polytech sidefolder AKS but if I ever did I would entertain a mini 30 or mini 14 before an AR. . I cant think of a single advantage the AR has over a mini for the average gun owner. . I remember somones Avatar has something like "the mini 14. . . all the noise of an AR without the complications". . from what Ive been exposed to. . sounds about right to me. . .

I can think of several advantages. Cheaper reliable magazines. Better accuracy. Better ergonomics (that one's subjective, of course). Easier (and cheaper) parts replacement. Modularity. Better sights. Easier to mount optics.....

All at a similar price. I own both, BTW.

Really, the AR is less complicated than the Mini. I can tear down an AR much easier than a Mini. And I've broken them both down to individual parts multiple times.

Will

I can think of several advantages. Cheaper reliable magazines. Better accuracy. Better ergonomics (that one's subjective, of course). Easier (and cheaper) parts replacement. Modularity. Better sights. Easier to mount optics.....

All at a similar price. I own both, BTW.

Really, the AR is less complicated than the Mini. I can tear down an AR much easier than a Mini. And I've broken them both down to individual parts multiple times.

Will

Truth

,,, Easier (and cheaper) parts replacement. ....

This is THE biggest downside of the Mini.

There are parts you simply can't get for a stash, have to send whole gun into Ruger.

Firing pin is a big consideration, for example. Nobody has had the two aftermarket ones hold up for any decent length of time.

A hassle at best, but a very big deal if SHTF. OOTH, neither platform actually breaks much.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

This is THE biggest downside of the Mini.

There are parts you simply can't get for a stash, have to send whole gun into Ruger.

Firing pin is a big consideration, for example. Nobody has had the two aftermarket ones hold up for any decent length of time.

A hassle at best, but a very big deal if SHTF. OOTH, neither platform actually breaks much.

- OS

True.

I have put plenty of time and money into making my Mini-30 a relatively decent shooter. Shortened the barrel to 16" and added a folding stock to make it a compact "traveling" gun. I sent the barreled action off to be cryo-treated. It shoots pretty well now. But if my firing pin breaks because I'm shooting steel-cased Russian ammo, I have to send it to Ruger. And I have no idea what mods that they will undo.

I really like my Minis. But I'm still partial to my ARs. For the reasons I listed above.

Will

Mini-14 vs AR-15 not as I own both and both fill a niche. Being one of the older generation I do love my weapons of steel and wood. However, I am a realist and like my Matel weapons too. Realistically, I keep both for different purposes. The Mini is my truck gun and it was designed to be a 2 to 3 moa weapon from the beginning, very similiar to the M-1 Garand and the M-14. The AR platform can be built to a degree of accuracy that the old war horses could only be hopeful of attaining with several modifications and lots of TLC.

To bash one and praise the other reminds me of the 1911 vs the plastic pistol vs the revolver. Enjoy each for what they are and become proficient in the manual of arms for the weapon of your choice. I often comment to everyone who asks me to help them to decide on a new weapon; pick the one that looks and feels right. Then practice, practice, practice. Have fun

Edited by Chumney
  • Like 1