Which to go with?

Guest cdsusong

Guest cdsusong

I have been researching three guns that I have narrowed my search to. I am looking for the best fit for me in a 9mm for IDPA type format shooting. I like the M&P because of the interchangable back straps, I have small hands, I also like the XD because it comes in a 5" tactical barrel length. Also the FNP 9mm because it just feels good. Do I need the 5" barrel for the IDPA format or will a 4" do? I currently shoot a Glock 19 and do fairly well with it. What do you guys think? Stick with the Glock (it is kind of chunky for me) go with the M&P for the thinner grip or go for the 5" taticle, or just go for the FNP? Any help would be great.:up:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wheelgunner100

Shoot what fits you the best. I like my Glock 19 but if it doesn't fit your hand you will never be able to shoot up to your potential. The M&P might be the ticket. Barrel length isn't as big a deal. I shoot what I carry.

• Administrator

Just for the record...

The M&P 9mm Pro and 9mm "L" are both coming out soon. Both have a 5-inch barrel and the Pro adds a high visibility fiber optic front sight. If the XD 9mm Tactical appeals to you for the longer barrel but you prefer the adjustable grip size of the M&P, you'll soon be able to have it both ways.

My "gamer" gun is an XD 9mm Tactical but I'll very likely step over to the 5-inch M&P as soon as it is available.

Guest cdsusong

Well I thought about the G34 but I want to see if I can get away from the thickness of the Glock grip. With smaller hands the Glock is a bit chunky for my accuracy. I shoot the 19 well but I want to go to the next level if possible and I thought a smaller grip would help me get there. I like the sound of the M&P 5" tactical coming soon.

Guest jcramin
I have been researching three guns that I have narrowed my search to. I am looking for the best fit for me in a 9mm for IDPA type format shooting. I like the M&P because of the interchangable back straps, I have small hands, I also like the XD because it comes in a 5" tactical barrel length. Also the FNP 9mm because it just feels good. Do I need the 5" barrel for the IDPA format or will a 4" do? I currently shoot a Glock 19 and do fairly well with it. What do you guys think? Stick with the Glock (it is kind of chunky for me) go with the M&P for the thinner grip or go for the 5" taticle, or just go for the FNP? Any help would be great.:D

Same with me. BUT I will start out shooting single stack 1911 because thats what I have now

Guest cdsusong

I believe, if I am not mistaken (and that very well could be) if you shoot 45cal that puts you in a different division than the 9mm? By that I mean in the IDPA format? Anyone have info on that issue?

Tungsten, thanks for the info on the 5" soon to be. I will wait and see what they feel like. What would be great, would be if I got my hands on one to see how I shoot with it.

Guest EasilyObsessed

My vote would go the 5" M&P. I love my 4" M&P9. I will probably pick up one of the 5" models to keep it company once they are available.

Guest price g

:)If you are looking at the M&P that would be stock service pistol [ssp] Any caliber is legal in this class as long as it meets ssp guidelines. CDP custom defense pistol is .45 only.:rolleyes:

Guest price g
.45 1911s are strictly CDP, which is simply an 8-shot .45. A .45 M&P, on the other hand, could be used in CDP with 8+1, or in SSP w/ 10+1. A 1911 cannot be used in SSP because it is not double action.

What he said:rolleyes: