Envelope Budgeting

Guest Torrin

I'm looking for a good PC program that uses the envelope budgeting system. Does anyone here use one that they would recommend?

I just use an Excel spreadsheet for mine. I think Dave Ramsey might sell something electronic, but really, it is easy to do in Excel.

I just use an Excel spreadsheet for mine. I think Dave Ramsey might sell something electronic, but really, it is easy to do in Excel.

I can set it up in Excel; I just was hoping to find something that would reconcile bank statements and credit card statements.

Guest Torrin

I can set it up in Excel; I just was hoping to find something that would reconcile bank statements and credit card statements.

Ahhh, really, the only thing out there is Quicken (which I use and love) It does a great job and there is a budgeting component to it. Frankly, I use Quicken to do all of my reconciliation, then key stuff into Excel for my envelop budget, it is easier for me to do, and I can give my wife access to the spreadsheet. She does not have access to Quicken, since she has a bad habit of screwing it up. :)

Guest Torrin

You need the Congressional budgeting program. You can spend whatever you want, and stick somebody else with the payments.

That is kind of like the new Obama Burger at McDonalds, your order it, and the guy behind you has to pay for it.

Ahhh, really, the only thing out there is Quicken (which I use and love) It does a great job and there is a budgeting component to it. Frankly, I use Quicken to do all of my reconciliation, then key stuff into Excel for my envelop budget, it is easier for me to do, and I can give my wife access to the spreadsheet. She does not have access to Quicken, since she has a bad habit of screwing it up. :)

Well, I have to say that I never thought of using them both together. Great idea. Thanks.

This may stray from what you are wanting, but I learned this trick 12+ years ago, and I have never looked back. I use a local credit union, and they will allow my to setup as many accounts as possible. Each time I receive my automatic deposit, my check is divided into these pre-distributions and the accounts are called exactly like these:

1.) $25 auto insurance

2.) $100 vacation

3.) $300 mortgage

4.) $100 auto loan

5.) $25 auto maintenance

6.) $50 fuel

7.) $50 electric/utilitlites/phone

8.) $40 Fun Money

9.) $50 Savings

10.) $20 Christmas

12.) $40 Tithes and offerings

11.) Balance of money into General Checking

This works just like envelopes. Bascially the credit union does my general ledger. My budget on paper and these accounts match. I have all my bills auto pay and I try to stay away from credit cards. The fun money account is my favorite account. Works great! You will be surpised at how quickly you see where your money goes and how quickly you save money.

I keep everything in Quicken but once a week, I withdraw what I need to spend in cash (gasoline, groceries, laundry, etc.; basically anything that doesn't come directly out of my checking account) and put that cash in my Dave Ramsey envelopes that I've been using since 1997; works great and I never go over my budget because once I run out of cash I stop spending...so simple even Congress could do it if they wanted to.

I keep everything in Quicken but once a week, I withdraw what I need to spend in cash (gasoline, groceries, laundry, etc.; basically anything that doesn't come directly out of my checking account) and put that cash in my Dave Ramsey envelopes that I've been using since 1997; works great and I never go over my budget because once I run out of cash I stop spending...so simple even Congress could do it if they wanted to.

This is exactly how we do it too. I get my check, we take it to the bank and deposit it, and withdraw cash. My wife has it all figured out exactly how much and what bills. For instance, for a two week period, we each get a hundred bucks for gas and twenty for incidentals. I like mine in 50's and a 20, my wife likes hers in all 20's. She walks into the bank, hands them a list that says 7-$20, 2-$50, etc. When she gets home she puts the cash in envelopes for each of us.

Guest Torrin

I doubt that Congress could figure out how not to spend more than they had.

Well, I appreciate the replies.

I understand what envelope budgeting is. I was merely looking for a PC program that would let me set it up that way and let me reconcile different accounts each month (cash, credit card) as well as the bank statement.

Guest Torrin

Several of my friends use mint.com in combo with Ramseys envolopes. They say it works great.

The only problems I have with mint.com is: 1) It is still owned by Intuit (Quicken Authors) 2) All of your information is on the Internet (if they go down, you don't have any of it)

The only problems I have with mint.com is: 1) It is still owned by Intuit (Quicken Authors) 2) All of your information is on the Internet (if they go down, you don't have any of it)

Thats why I wanted something I could install on my hard drive so I wouldn't be dependent on the good graces of the internet gods.