Gail Kerr: Guns-at-work proposal is a disaster in waiting

What is wrong with this woman?

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120305/COLUMNIST0101/303050021/Gail-Kerr-Guns-work-proposal-disaster-waiting?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Opinion|p

If she just made it solely a property rights issue, then I wouldn't have as much of a problem, but, and predictably, she tries to tie it to workplace violence. I have challenged her again and again to publicly admit that she was wrong about her "blood in the streets" and "bar room shootouts" predictions about the so-called and mis-named "guns in bars" bill/law, but she has kept her mouth shut like the coward that she is, just hoping that it will go away.

And just like that issue, she shows her supreme ignorance and dishonesty about this issue as well.

Liars keep on lying.

Edited by DaddyO

Does anyone here know when Title 39 CFR 232.1 was enacted? That's the no-firearms on post office property one. It would be interesting to know if that regulation was in place before the string of PO shootings happened that Kerr cites, or if there was a policy in place for employees at the timeif they were mostly prior to Title 39 CFR 232.1.

Guest A10thunderbolt

You watch, they are going to turn this around and try to make carrying at the work place Illegal.Passing laws to empower the Gov is dangerous.

Guest 6.8 AR

Notwithstanding the property rights argument, the woman is another hack writer liberal

who knows nothing but what is told her by her handler. PC

She likes tyranny. Who woulda thunk?

I read that with disgust. Thought about sending in a rebuttal but it's not worth my time.

Same liberal crap from a liberal rag.

I emailed her and said this:

Gail,

Please stop with the sensationalizing. Above all, please stop spouting off about that which you obviously have no clue. Just like the "guns-in-bars" bill, which you were DEAD WRONG on, but refuse to own up to and admit that you were wrong, you are wrong about this. Every time you write one of your hit pieces on gun owners, you sink in credibility, but that's your choice.

It's fine to have an opinion about something, but unless it's grounded in fact, then as my dad used to say, it's about as useful as teats on a male pig.

Please stop lying about gun owners.

Here is the reply that I got:

Thanks for reading me, and sending your feedback. GK

She's right about one thing: I read her - like a book.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1

I never waste any of my time reading her crap. Don't want to give her the satisfaction of p***ing me off. Just reading her name or hearing it is enough.

Is that her real name? I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't and she had a permit in her real name.

Edited by Volzfan
Guest bkelm18

If Someday, God forbid, this stupid woman ever gets mugged, she'd turn into Sarah Connor and demand the right to lean a 12-guage shotgun up against her cubicle desk.

Probably not. People with their heads that far up their ass don't make philosophical 180's. She'd just become more of an anti-gun advocate or anti-rape advocate.

Here's her response to my little rant via email. Maybe she's getting a few more opinions from gun owners?

Thanks. We will disagree on this, but know this: I appreciate you reading me, whether or not your opinion differs. And I am thankful that you took the time to send me your thoughts and feedback. Gail

Here's her response to my little rant via email. Maybe she's getting a few more opinions from gun owners?

Thanks. We will disagree on this, but know this: I appreciate you reading me, whether or not your opinion differs. And I am thankful that you took the time to send me your thoughts and feedback. Gail

The fact that people "read" her is what secures her job, and that's all she cares about.
  • Like 1

In other words, "Thanks for the click. . . SUCKER!!!" :wave:

• Like 2

Ms. Kerr's "article" seems like a statement of opinion based on more than a few prejudices toward the general public as a whole. I am not sure how you can interject your own opinion (i.e. "The House version, thankfully, is bottled up…") and still call it good old fashion unbiased journalism, or at best reporting the facts of the story. I can agree with the fact that there will be a debate over property rights infringement. However, it would seem that if the law is passed in its current form that a judicial challenge will be forthcoming.

The article's use of "facts" from the US Bureau of Labor loosely applies to the headline's sensationalist headline that did its job or selling papers and/or generating internet traffic. "43 percent of workplace homicides involve employees currently on the payroll." For this example, the inverse is also true! Suffice it to say that 57%, or MOST, of the homicides weren't on the payroll. So what does this statement of fact have to do with parking lot gun storage in most of the cases? Nothing.

Also, the quote from Dr. Larry Barton (http://www.shrm.org/Publications/HRNews/Pages/GrievanceCollectors.aspx) is taken out of context and goes on to say:

"While workplace killings are down in the United States, written and verbal threats in the workplace were up about 30 percent in 2009, and there has been an increase in suicides at or related to work, according to Barton…

“But it’s far better,†he added, 'for an organization to act with integrity according to its stated values and be seen by some as ‘politically correct’ than to allow the actions of one disturbed individual result in an entire community inside its workforce being diminished or mistreated.'"

It is MY opinion that a "Journalist," like Ms. Kerr should consult her source before quoting his or her statements - in this case presumably without their knowledge. It is also MY opinion that this article AND this legislation are trying to cash in on fears about workplace safety.