Maine Resident Kills Would Be Burglar with .22 Handgun, Wounds Another

Anecdotal evidence proves nothing.

Except that in most cases a .22 is better than a fist, or saying stop, or weilding an electric guitar, or having nothing at all. I read quite a few more reports saying that a BG was stopped with a .22 than those that say after being hit with several .22 rounds, the perp got more angry and continued his beating, rape, robbery, or whatever.

Nobody can argue that there are more effective calibers but if a .22 is all you have, or care to have, then carry on.

My wife will not fire a gun chambered in 9, 10, .38, .45, etc. She doesn't think that guns are cool or that range time is fun. But she knows she will not be able to talk an attacker into reconsidering his position, so she carries a .22 and we both feel better because of it.

Nothing illogical. Simple physics explains it.

But since your litmus test for a good SD weapon seems to be "Gee, I wouldn't want to get shot with one", I fully encourage you to carry a BB gun. Maybe it will scare the BG away.

I'll keep carrying what I know will work the majority of the time and has the BEST chance of success.

Edited by DaddyO

I'll keep carrying what I know will work the majority of the time and has the BEST chance of success.

That's why I carry a desert eagle .50 and a sawed off 12 gauge as backup. If that doesn't work I have a backup 2 ft long bowie knife running the length of my leg. Anyone that carries anything smaller is just asking to be a victim.

• Like 1

That's why I carry a desert eagle .50 and a sawed off 12 gauge as backup. If that doesn't work I have a backup 2 ft long bowie knife running the length of my leg. Anyone that carries anything smaller is just asking to be a victim.

Ridicule doesn't make a very good argument. I haven't advocated carrying howitzers or anything else extreme.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1

Nothing illogical. Simple physics explains it.

But since your litmus test for a good SD weapon seems to be "Gee, I wouldn't want to get shot with one", I fully encourage you to carry a BB gun. Maybe it will scare the BG away.

I'm still waiting to hear what life and death struggles you've personally been in requiring you to use your firearm that supports your opinion about "mouseguns"? You seem so certain that small calibers are ineffective I have to believe that the opinion wasn't just formed from reading magazines or watching TV.

I'm still waiting to hear what life and death struggles you've personally been in requiring you to use your firearm that supports your opinion about "mouseguns"? You seem so certain that small calibers are ineffective I have to believe that the opinion wasn't just formed from reading magazines or watching TV.

Ever notice how people who carry mouseguns are always defensive about them?

But apparently, telling other people they don't know what they are talking about while offering nothing but opinion does make for a good argument, right? :rolleyes:

You shouldn't tell lies. Did I tell you or anyone else they didn't know what they were talking about? Are you always this insecure when someone challenges your opinion?

Please, by all means - carry your .22lr and feel good about it. After all, it's all about feeling safe, right?

Edited by DaddyO

Ever notice how people who carry mouseguns are always defensive about them?

The smallest caliber I carry is a 38; usually as a backup to my backup...my primary weapons are 357Sig/45ACP/10MM; usually the 357 and the 10MM together so no, despite your ridicule, I'm not defensive at all about mouseguns....nice try though.

I'm still waiting to hear what life and death struggles you've personally been in requiring you to use your firearm that supports your opinion about "mouseguns".

The smallest caliber I carry is a 38; usually as a backup to my backup...my primary weapons are 357Sig/45ACP/10MM; usually the 357 and the 10MM together so no, despite your ridicule, I'm not defensive at all about mouseguns....nice try though.

I'm still waiting to hear what life and death struggles you've personally been in requiring you to use your firearm that supports your opinion about "mouseguns".

My experiences don't change anything, and neither do yours. Facts are facts. Do the research for yourself.

And if you want to shoot to kill, instead of stopping the threat, by all means, carry a .22. Have at it.

Show me the proof that sub-service calibers CONSISTENTLY perform as well as service calibers, and I'll consider adding a mousegun to my arsenal. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1

You shouldn't tell lies. Did I tell you or anyone else they didn't know what they were talking about? Are you always this insecure when someone challenges your opinion?

Please, by all means - carry your .22lr and feel good about it. After all, it's all about feeling safe, right?

More ridicule? Didn't you just scold someone else for doing that???

I don't own a 22 anything and never have.

You said "people" and then specifically that I "didn't understand" ...how different is that from telling someone they don't know what they are talking about?

I'm not insecure about my opinions at all...and by the way, I'm still waiting to hear what life and death struggles you've personally been in requiring you to use your firearm that supports your opinion about "mouseguns".

More ridicule? Didn't you just scold someone else for doing that???

I don't own a 22 anything and never have.

You said "people" and then specifically that I "didn't understand" ...how different is that from telling someone they don't know what they are talking about?

I'm not insecure about my opinions at all...and by the way, I'm still waiting to hear what life and death struggles you've personally been in requiring you to use your firearm that supports your opinion about "mouseguns".

No ridicule, just observation. I didn't say anything about anyone else not knowing what they were talking about, and yes, you seem to be all butt hurt because someone is challenging your assertion about the wisdom of depending on a .22 for self defense.

Show me where I said YOU didn't understand. Go ahead.

Let's see some proof about consistency of sub-service calibers. Go ahead. You have the floor.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1

My experiences don't change anything, and neither do yours. Facts are facts. Do the research for yourself.

And if you want to shoot to kill, instead of stopping the threat, by all means, carry a .22. Have at it.

Your experience???

It makes a difference; if you've had it.

Edited by RobertNashville

Your experience???

It makes a difference; if you've had it.

Regale me with your experience about stopping a threat with a .22 or any other mousegun caliber, since you're all about "experiences".

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1

No matter what the caliber people don't like getting shot. In a scenario of criminal activity resulting in violence an intruder is most likely gonna try to bail on the sound of gunfire alone.

Crimes of passion are going to increase the likelihood of continued advance even after being wounded.

Clearly in this case when the gun came out these guys fled. It wouldn't have mattered if it was a .22 or blunderbuss. The only difference may have been how fast the perp died. I'm sure this is true in most cases of SD shootings that don't involve passion or emotion. So yes, a .22 is quite capable of fending off an attacker even if it doesn't incapacitate them.

For someone opposed to carrying such small caliber weapons it is most likely because they don't want to give the attacker the opportunity to make that choice because there is still a chance the perp will not decide to stop... I am one of those folks. That don't mean I don't recognize that bad guys don't like being shot at or shot, and will most likely take the first "out" they can find; and I do have personal experience on that subject to support my conclusion.

• Like 3

No ridicule, just observation. I didn't say anything about anyone else not knowing what they were talking about, and yes, you seem to be all butt hurt because someone is challenging your assertion about the wisdom of depending on a .22 for self defense.

Show me where I said YOU didn't understand. Go ahead.

Let's see some proof about consistency of sub-service calibers. Go ahead. You have the floor.

You have a very unique (one might say, "flexible", one might even say "convenient") definition of the word "Ridicule".

So, you want to discuss labratory tests and magazine and TV "facts"...is that it? ROTFL

As I said and have said many, may times NO ONE is arguing that a 45 or a 10MM or a 357Magnum isn't "better" than a 32 or a 308 or a 22 so how is discussing "consistency of sub-service calibers" pertinent? I'm talking about PREVAILING in a life and death struggle which is ALL THE MATTERS and if you don't or won't understand that then I don't care if you ARE carrying a " howitzer" or something "extreme" to paraphrase your previous statement; because when you life is on the line all those ballistic tests and talking head opinions won't mean a damn thing.

Regale me with your experience about stopping a threat with a .22 or any other mousegun caliber, since you're all about "experiences".

You first...I asked first...yet you won't answer...I wonder why? ROTFLMAO

I've never owned and don't own a 22 caliber anything; as I have already said - you must have missed that post.

For someone opposed to carrying such small caliber weapons it is most likely because they don't want to give the attacker the opportunity to make that choice because there is still a chance the perp will not decide to stop... I am one of those folks. That don't mean I don't recognize that bad guys don't like being shot at or shot, and will most likely take the first "out" they can find; and I do have personal experience on that subject to support my conclusion.

Bingo. It's all about having the best possible chance to survive.

I don't want a jellyfish thrown on my face either, but that doesn't make it a good defensive choice. All the "it's better than nothing" arguments are ridiculous from the viewpoint that it's not "either/or". No one HAS to choose something that isn't proven to be CONSISTENTLY effective.

• Like 1

You first...I asked first...yet you won't answer...I wonder why? ROTFLMAO

I've never owned and don't own a 22 caliber anything; as I have already said - you must have missed that post.

Gee, I'm disappointed. I thought for sure since you put so much weight on first hand experiences that you would willingly tell me about your own. After all, it's you who's making it an issue, not me.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1
Guest A10thunderbolt

So your saying my wife is better off carrying a gun that she ends up closing her eyes to fire and she jerks because it almost tears here wrist off? Yes her wrists are small I have seen here limp wrist the second or third shot causing the gun to FTE. I don't think any bad guy is going to run into a hail of well placed bullets.

So your saying my wife is better off carrying a gun that she ends up closing her eyes to fire and she jerks because it almost tears here wrist off? Yes her wrists are small I have seen here limp wrist the second or third shot causing the gun to FTE. I don't think any bad guy is going to run into a hail of well placed bullets.

A lot of people also think that every bad guy will wet his pants at the sound of a 12 gauge shell being chambered, but there have been instances where that wasn't the case.

If a .22 is all someone can handle, then it's definitely better than nothing. Does that mean that it will do the job? I dunno.

• Like 2
Guest A10thunderbolt

DaddyO, I think you have a mental block on this one. I can also say will any gun work in every situation? I Dunno :)