Son's First Turkey!!!

Old camo hoodie... free

Netting.... $4.95

Scraps of material from the scrap bin at wal-mart... $5.00

Couple of yards of fabric to cut up... about $10

Tube of Shoe glue.... $4.00

Your 11 year old son getting his first turkey in the Ghillie suit that he made (with very little help from me!).... PRICELESS!!!

I just had to post these! I'm just such a proud Dad! :mad:

ghillie_turkey.jpg

Turkey_forWeb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! Congrats!!

Thanks!

He went with a friend of mine and I stayed home. My wife asked

if i regretted not being there... but he is getting to the age now that this

really made him feel like a "big kid".

You should have seen the smile on his face when I opened the front door.

I have the tail feathers pined and drying out. I trimmed his 20 ga shell

down to the brass and hot glued the little beard into it. Also drilled a small hole in the primer and ran a paper clip through it so he can hang it on his wall.

Oh yeah... tasted good to!! :popcorn:

Guest db99wj
Awesome !

Sounds like the problem is statewide for some of us. Seen some hens, no gobblers or even jakes. The ones we could get to gobble would not come over and play and now they aren't even talking.

Congrats again on a fine turkey.

Those hens have wore out all the boys....they are all tired and not interested:D

Congrats by the way Creeky, err I mean to your son....we know who is more proud!:)

Edited by db99wj

Thanks guys! I have a lot going on right now and haven't had time to be

on the TGO Boards much lately.

I hope to call the forum up tonight and let him read some of

the comments. he'll really get a kick out of it.

He gave a 4-H speech this year on turkey hunting. Mainly

so he could take his Ghillie to school again. (Last year his speech was

on how to make a Ghillie and it's history.)

Guest shortfri

Tell him i said congrats also.

I got a jake opening morning, and have seen all kind of jakes but not been able to get them to do anything but gobble one time and run like hell. But as for long beards, i think they left the country.

Guest Grizzly Johnson

Not sure if you knew this, but if you get onto the TWRA website, then go to the wildlife and hunting section and the over to the right and click on "wildcast trophy album" you can get the e-mail address and send in your sons picture and have it added to the photo album for all to see. I have sent in a few of my pictures, look for Jeremy Bates in the deer, waterfowl, and turkey albums. Congrats to your lil hunter. Love the Gillie Suit!!

Guest Bronker

Good for you Creeky. I shared the same awesome experience this past weekend. On Friday, I killed a 4 year old Tom. First turkey in 8 or 9 years (just got back into it).

On Saturday, was fortunate to share a ground blind with my 6 year old son, who bagged his very first animal of any kind -- a jake, at 12 yards, with my 30 year old single-shot 20 gauge.

I agree...there's nothing like it.

Congrats.

• 3 months later...

We saw 6 in the backyard yesterday evening and he wanted to run out

there and try to get one with his bow! :cool:

I told him no. He'd have to wait.

I'm not raising "slob" hunters. He's going to have to play by

the rules.

He is also wanting to run a trap line. Guess I'll have to read up

on that a bit! LOL!

^5 dude....good for you, and great for him to have such a dad. I was raised in the city, and my dad didn't want jack to do with hunting or guns. Had a bro-in-law that brought me out as a 14yr old, and I was sold. I havent got to hunt since moving to Tn., but I am hoping to be able to do some in the next few years.

Thanks. I'm more of a paper puncher and bowling pin shooter myself,

but I do enjoy Rabbit and Squirrel hunting though. I have always tried to get

my boys to enjoy being outside if nothing else.

I took my oldest down the harpeth and camped out when he was three.

We have two "campsites" set up just far enough where you can't see the

house. Now that they are getting older it's a big deal to be able to camp

where they can't see the house! LOL!