My first Kill

I don't normally hunt, but these things have invaded the basement. I knew the problem was worse than a mouse when it set off 3 traps and was nowhere to be found. Bigger traps are on the way. I also think I've figured out where they got in. Anyone have any advice for clearing them out?

IMG0222-L.jpg

IMG0221-L.jpg

Edited by smopoim86
  • Like 1

The cats and dog live outside. The cats my get to live inside for a while to deal with this. The dog is a black lab mutt and doesn't seem to care too much.

A really big cat? (Or a small ratter dog?)

Nice shooting. Where did you hit it?

Did it go into attack mode? Do you think its clan will come after you in revenge?

Right in the chest. It stuck it's head out and I put the pellet right under it's chin. No attack mode. It didn't make a sound. Muscle spasm made it fall out of where it was hiding.

That's a huge rat! They're likely coming in to build a nest and/or eat stuff. Find out what they're eating and get rid of it.

I know what they're after. They've been partying for a while now. Went after the dog food. It's in a better container now.

I know what they're after. They've been partying for a while now. Went after the dog food. It's in a better container now.

I had problems with mice in my garage. They were getting to the bird seed, dog food, and recycle bins. I got a few 5-gal buckets and a couple big plastic containers with snap on lids. That kept them out of the bird seed and dog food. Then I fussed at my wife for not rinsing out her coke cans before putting them into the recycling bin. No problems since.

The good news: I discovered that the recycle bins do make good mouse traps. Apparently the mice couldn't climb back out. :up:

The bad news: I made that discovery after the bins had sat in my car in the hot sun all day. With 6 dead mice in the bottom of the containers. :down:

The weird news: Seems mice, when trapped, will turn cannibal. Several of the carcasses had been eaten on. :yuck:

Edited by peejman

My wife had a Cocker Spaniel before we were married. We had to give it away because she (the dog) was too jealous of our son. She was undoubtedly the best small game hunter I've ever seen though. Our first house was in a very wooded area near the Knox County/Blount County line. The dog was constantly killing squirrels, moles and any other small animals she could find. They aren't my favorite dogs, but I'm not a cat person so I'd definitely recommend a Spaniel for a rodent problem.

That thing is huge! You need some of the giant spring traps!

Like this?

IMAG0197-L.jpg

1. Shot
  2. bagged and burned (funny story)
  3. snap trap (pictured)
  4. snap trap
  5. snap trap (appeared to have been cannibalized)

I bought a dozen of the big traps for $25. They work fairly well.

EDIT: another hit

Edited by smopoim86
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took this "dude" today with my Ruger Old Army .45

My revolver was loaded with 10 grains of FFFG Blackpowder, wading, 20 grains of crushed walnut shell held in with more wading.

He was shot while flying at about a range of 6 foot.

Dave004.jpg