Lc9 or Db9?

Mdunntn

I'm looking at either a db9 or lc9 to purchase soon, to accompany my lcp. I was hoping to rent both guns before buying, but CCA has neither one of them for rent.

The db9 is obviously smaller And would be ideal to even pocket carry, while I think pocket carry for a lc9 would be a little much. Both have decent sights, And from what I understand are both dao guns correct?

I'm leaning toward the db9 but haven't heard about reliability. Also with its small size I would imagine probably has quite a bite to it. Pros, cons, opinions? Thanks guys.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want a DB9. I have a DB380 that works great. I carry an LC9 which I really like but it's not really a true pocket pistol. The LC9 connceals well IWB, offers up 8 9mm rounds when needed and it has never failed from the first shot to around 200 so far. I am going to wait on the DB9 until I am sure they have any problems worked out. The DB9 is such a cool little pocket rocket I will have to buy one sooner or later. Diamondback customer service is excellent.

Edited by Will Carry

I've had an LC9 and sometimes carry my DB9. Trigger on the DB9 is far better than that on the LC9. The DB9 at 11.5 oz or so is a real dragon when you pull the trigger. It is accurate. It is very small in comparison to everything else I have tried in 9mm and a better all around light pocket carry 9mm than the Keltec PF9 or LC9 INMHO. DM Bullard makes a nice DB9 holster for either left or right hand.

I place a lot of stock in what graycrait posts here; he is methodical at testing and evaluating his handguns as well as in DIY modifications. I like the size and feel of the DB9 but haven’t fired one yet, however I did own and carry a K-T PF9 for a little over a year. Now I’m using an LCP but also have a Lc9 which is perfect for IWB/OWB carry, it’s a tad bit too large for pocket carry unless in an over coat pocket. Essentially this is a judgment call decision for you, I’m in no hurry to purchase a DB9 until the design matures a bit more.

I'm leaning toward the lc9, because I'm a little concerned of how bad the db9 would recoil or how snappy it is. I hate how snappy my lcp is so I could only imagine shooting the db9. I don't mind recoil, but I know after shooting a couple magazines out if my lcp the area between my thumb and index finger are in quite a bit of discomfort. Does the db9 have that sort of issue?

My knowledge on holsters is limited and I've got a little bit of a gut on me. Just from my guess if carrying iwb, I would need to carry on my back right side. Would the lc9 be decently comfortable in this position, and also how concealed it would be. My lcp is in a back pocket holster and is definitely deep concealed.

Edited by Mdunntn

I too have been looking at the DB9 and just the other day ran across a Beretta Nano. I believe that is my next gun purchase. It is just slightly larger than the DB9 and smaller than the LC9. Seams to be well built and is getting some good reviews, however I would like to shoot one for myself.

When I carry IWB I position the holster on my strong side slightly forward of the rear pocket of my pants, with the right belt and holster this is comfortable. Further it is simple to access as well as descreatly concealed from view under a pull over shirt or wearing a jacket. I've carried a G27 in this manner for many years with excellent results, the Lc9 is a trimmer pistol and exhibits less bulk. Please don't be mislead into believing the Lc9 doesn't have a bit of snap to it when shooting because it does; however, it is far more comfortable to shoot than the LCP or PF9. I intend to upgrade mine with some replacement parts to improve the trigger pull.

Guest mdh3p

My father has a LC9 and I have shot it a few times and immediately didn't like the trigger pull, It is way too long. If you intend to carry it for personal protection then you are fine since (God forbid you actually have to use it) you are just going to draw and shoot. If you intend to go to just use it for target practice then I'd not recommend it. Since it is double action only, it has a really LONG and heavy trigger pull.

I had a DB9 for a while,I ended up selling it - I just did not like the gun at all

but it was small....here it is side by side w my BG380.....can even use the same holsters

Some of the things I detested in the DB9 were the cheapness of it,the slide moved a bunch,IMO it needed more rail

the trigger was pot metaland flimsy...Its just a cheap gunw too many cut corners - but hey what do I know I prefer a Airweight for CCW

IMAG0486.jpg

Edited by SonnyCrockett

Some of the things I detested in the DB9 were the cheapness of it,the slide moved a bunch,IMO it needed more rail

the trigger was pot metaland flimsy...Its just a cheap gunw too many cut corners - but hey what do I know I prefer a Airweight for CCW

Haven't shot one but that's the same impression when I handled it, cheap. The coating on the slide looked like it was a bad spray paint job with Krylon. I''ve heard it is indeed snappy, but that is to be expected.

I'm with you Sonny, I prefer an airweight for my pocket gun.

Watched some comparison videos of the pf9 And the lc9. Pf9's cheaper, no loaded chamber indicator, no mag release safety, shorter trigger pull, thicker grip, thinner slide. Hickok45 also said it had a picatanny rail? Any opinions on this gun? I like the looks of it alot better then the lc9, trigger appears to be better, and no thumb safety.

The PF9 is a decent little pistol, mine functioned well after it's initial break in period, but it's small sized trigger guard bothered me. First it was difficult to access the trigger and second it would rap the dickins out of the front of my index finger. As much as I liked it's size this pistol wan't a good fit for me, someone with smaller hand's and finger's might not have any problems with it.

The PF9 is a decent little pistol, mine functioned well after it's initial break in period, but it's small sized trigger guard bothered me. First it was difficult to access the trigger and second it would rap the dickins out of the front of my index finger. As much as I liked it's size this pistol wan't a good fit for me, someone with smaller hand's and finger's might not have any problems with it.

That's what I was seeing on some of the video's, I don't have very large hands so probably need to get my hands on one. I really wish the lc9 didn't have all the BS on it, and that the trigger pull wasn't basically all the way to the frame.

Guest etnsr9c

I have a lc9 it is my edc pistol 95% of the time, I really like and shoot very good with it. The trigger is not perfect, but like everything else it just takes practice(hot and dryfire) to master it. I did remove the mag safety, and had my Uncle stipple the grip. Also I have owned 2 keltec pf9s and 4 kahrs(a pm9, cw9, cw45, and a kp9) all of the karhs where very reliable, but I always carry a spare mag and the karh spare mags have all dumped ammo in my pocket or mag holder(tried several different kinds). It did not matter if it was in a pocket or a mag holder. And the Keltecs both had problems with reliability. Both pf9s had different issues and I just had no confidence in them. So that is how I arrived at the lc9(it has been 100% reliable and is very easy to carry and conceal), but I am very interested in the Beretta nano.

Edited by etnsr9c

I have no interest in validating the DB9 to the masses, but as I said before it has been 100% reliable with a number of shooters with different ammo after its short trip back to the factory for an out of spec trigger bar. After having two PF9s that shot fine, but I always do a Keltec Fluff and Buff prior to shooting any Keltec, I didn't like the way that they slapped my trigger finger, the same thing that TNWNGR experienced. I personally have no desire to try any other micro 9mms besides the DB9. Mine works, is not fun to shoot and don't expect any other sub 12oz 9mm to feel any better or be any more reliable or accurate and will be just as tough to shoot one-handed weak-hand fast and good enough. My 4 go to carry guns: Primary: Glock 9mm, Keltec .32 - Secondary: LCR .38 and DB9. Note the common denominator: "Plastics!"

I have nothing against metal or steel on steel guns like 1911s, Colt Mustangs, SIg 226 or 220, or a host of others. I like shooting them all. However, I am now a lightweight, with my most pressing enemies: age, a gangbanger on initiation tour, possibly an errant drug addict or teenager who thinks he needs to prove something. Hell, my old S&W 38 is up to those tasks, so this diatribe is mainly esoteric.

I got this from my buddy who is still on the line as a major crimes and gangs FBI agent and is FBI SWAT, albeit a junior agent. However as a former Army buddy and former cop, who put his arm around me one time and said, "You could be a really good shooter if you practiced more, " and is 30 years my junior said today to me via email:

Craig,

I have not made up my mind yet, as I am going to exchange my Glock 23 for a Glock 22, but I may be switching away from the 1911 platform for both daily carry and SWAT applications, in its place carrying a Glock 22 and a Glock 27.

I could go on and on about the finer points of the 1911 vs the .40 Cal Glock (I despise the .40 caliber round) but the bottom line is I am in the process of breaking my third 1911 in a year. My personal Professional still runs like a top and is in great shape, but the issued Professional Operators (refurbished) don't hold up to my volume of shooting. I have broken off a safety, shot a front sight loose, had an extractor go bad, and burned through four CMC Powermags, all in one year.

The Glock 22 they issue me MUST run with a light attached, so it will get a thorough testing. I did 350rds through my Glock 27, 23, and my fiance's 22 yesterday. The gun is not a 1911 - they are harder to shoot, harder to manipulate, and slower than my 1911. They also don't hurt my elbow as much, carry many more rounds, point well for me, and are lightweight.

If I do swap over, I'll be back in the Glock saddle and looking for a 20SF for hunting back up.

Edited by graycrait

I was also considering the db9, but I was comparing it to the Taurus 709 slim, among others. I am partial to Taurus as I own three and I like the safety and trigger weight.

I ended up buying the 709 and fired multiple Mags through it this weekend and was amazed at the groupings (compared to my lcp). Five star

Guest etnsr9c

I also had a Taurus 709 and mine was a great gun, and ran 100%. Also with a small file and some time you can make a glock front night sight fit them.