Saw a little blurb in the paper today about a guy in a local convenience store bathroom who accidently fired a round into the floor when re-holstering after finishing his business. LEO was called, but no mention of charges, and most importantly no one was hurt. Guy said his shirt must have gotten caught in the trigger as he was holstering into his hip holster.

A couple things about this:

He has an HCP according to the database (not mentioned in story).

No mention of any charges placed.

The story was in the local briefs section, not headline news.

Seriously, the mens room seems to be in the lead for about the most dangerous place for us guys who carry. If someone isn't leaving a gun behind, or dropping it on the floor when dropping pants, then the reholstering ND comes into play. Next it'll be someone putting a round into the urinal.

When are guns the most dangerous? When we are handling them.

When do we handle them? When we are loading/unloading/holstering/un-holstering/re-holstering/cleaning, etc.

Is it really surprising that these things happen when we are in a rest room which often means we are going to need or have to handle our weapon...I mean firearm?

There is no gun I know of, at least not in modern times, that will "go off" as long as no one is messing with it but as soon as you introduce the human element into the equation the equation changes significantly!

Why do you take it out of the holster to take a :poop: ? I suppose with some of the weird holster setups you have to huh? I carry in Galco with a snap/strap retention. I don't even unholster it when I pull it off for the night. Sometimes the gun will go for weeks without coming out. Seems silly to me to ever take it out.

Why do you take it out of the holster to take a :poop: ? I suppose with some of the weird holster setups you have to huh? I carry in Galco with a snap/strap retention. I don't even unholster it when I pull it off for the night. Sometimes the gun will go for weeks without coming out. Seems silly to me to ever take it out.

Well, unless you carry a girly gun (smile) when you pull your pants down your gun and your pants are going to wind up on the floor.

Now I don't know about you but I don't want my pants or any part of my pants OR my gun sitting on a skanky restroom floor plus I want my gun where I can get to it quickly should some BG attempt something.

I've tried the keeping my pants off the floor while keeping the gun holstered but it just doesn't work well...sooner or later the gun or the pants work their way down to the floor - I've found nothing as good overall as simply un-holstering and keeping my pants off the floor. It's also yet another opportunity to practice proper un-holstering and re-holstering technique. :)

More reason to carry condition 3... just a preference I guess.

What condition one carries in will not negate stupidity on the part of the person carrying.

That said, yeah...condition 3 might be "safer" than condition 1 or 0 but then again; remember WHY we carry; to be ready to face a threat!

I do believe that if someone is very well trained and very, very fast they can load one into the chamber and be ready to engage a BG almost as fast and maybe even as fast as I can be ready to engage while carrying with on in the chamber. But, I'd say the folks that fall into that very, very fast category are also very, very few and far between.

You may be one of those very, very fast folks...but I know I'm not one of them so I'll continue to carry with one in the chamber ready to go. :)

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1
More reason to carry condition 3... just a preference I guess.

Or maybe we should not allow people to carry firearms; that would have prevented this too. Or we should have legal postings on bathroom doors to prevent restroom NDs. Requiring safeties on all handguns might also have prevented this. Or maybe folks should carry their mags in a separate pocket and only load their weapons when they're ready to use it. I can load and make ready pretty fast, so everyone else should too, right?

Guest bluecanary25

Maybe he was just trying to scare the sh_t out of someone , it would have worked for me.

I was also thinking that constipation would be resolved for the day.....

Guest Shootermcgavin

After removing the gun where do you put it? Do you just sit on the crapper with your gun out? I can't imagine inadvertently walking in on someone ####ting and seeing a .45 in one hand and tp in the other lol

I personally see no reason to remove it from the holster. I remove the holster, with the gun inside, from your belt and set it down. I make sure to put the belt back in the first loop or you might get it wet (yest I speak from experience). Then when I am done I again put the holster, with the gun still inside, on the belt and tighten it back down.

After all you are dropping your pants so you have to undo your belt and pants anyway. May as well keep your gun and holster together to prevent accidents. A holstered gun is about as safe as it gets. And removing and reholstering a gun only increases the chances of a ND.

My 1911 hasn't been out of its holster in well over a month. I see no reason unless I am either giving it its quarterly cleaning, practicing shooting or using it to defend a life. During the warmer or wetter months I will soak it down with oil about once a month but other than that it isn't removed. It has probably been 400-500 rounds since the last cleaning. And I shoot it regularly with practice loads then load my carry ammo at the range and in the holster it goes until the next range session or annual cleaning.

Dolomite

After removing the gun where do you put it? Do you just sit on the crapper with your gun out? I can't imagine inadvertently walking in on someone ####ting and seeing a .45 in one hand and tp in the other lol

Dolomite's method is pretty good, actually but that does still leave the problem of "where" to put it.

The only way I can answer that is "it depends". Some stalls make that an easy problem; some not so...you just have to decide what's best given how the stall is arranged.