Ever Get That "Uneasy Feeling"?

Had to run a few errands yesterday, the first being stop by the bank ATM to get a couple hundred in cash, then to the court house and get my license plate stickers, etc. etc.

Knowing I was going to the court house, I removed my 1911 from my holster and placed it in the console as I was leaving home and I would reholster after I departed the court house. Anyway, as I pulled up to the Regions bank ATM there was one vehicle in front of me taking their good ole time, then another vehicle pulled up behind me. On a side note, this bank has been robbed twice in the last couple of years.

Sitting there I started to think about another ATM robbery at a different bank on the other side of town a couple months ago. I also was thinking ATM'S are prime spots to get robbed then...

I noticed someone walking up from behind me and the vehicle behind me, didn't see where he originated from. This guy was shabby looking, unshaven and wearing a hoody sweat shirt with the hood up (it was 65 degrees). It was a beautiful sunny morning, the kind of morning where you let your guard down some and enjoy the weather. It's about 9 A.M., the bank's open, people everywhere are going about their business, all is normal.

The ATM drive through is located on the very outside lane of the drive through. This guy walks over to a concrete island about 7 yards from the ATM machine and directly across from it. He's just standing there intently watching the person in front of me with both his hands in his sweat shirt pockets. I'm getting an uneasy feeling in my gut. Finally, the vehicle in front of me pulls out and I'm thinking about driving around and coming back later, as this guy doesn't look right. I'm in a little hurry as I have allot to do today so I open up the top of my console hoping I'm just a little paranoid and drive into the tight ATM lane. I'm eye balling this dude now and then, as I insert my card and punch all the buttons. It's hard to conduct a transaction and watch someone 180 degrees away in a car. He's there eye balling me with interest, just standing there still with his hands in his pockets and head slightly bowed down. I get my cash and leave. Nothing happened and I bought the local paper to see if anything did after I left. Just one of those feelings and things that doesn't happen much to me that invoked a little more situational awareness. Just thought I would share an experience.

• Like 1

Good situational awareness... and FWIW, that would weird me out as well. He was probably just a vagrant, but he was wearing a thug "uniform". I would have moved inside to do my transaction and notified the manager of his presence. Also, there are thieves that will try to memorize PIN numbers and such by watching ATMs or debit card pads in use. Always cover the keypad with your hand and do not make your PIN obvious to anyone.

Guest 6.8 AR

I've had that happen, to. Get that creepy feeling and look over in the next lot. I look all around

the area before I touch the ATM. Get the money and get in my car. I always check after dark.

I've seen several people standing around and I don't go near until they're gone. You never

know.

Volphin is probably right that he was just a vagrant, but always good to know what is going on around you.

On a side note (since you mentioned it) is the courthouse you go to posted? I ask since it is not illegal to carry in a courthouse..only a room where a judicial proceeding is taking place.

Only had that experience once when I workred nights, 3 AM at an Exxon in Madison. I was the at one end of the pumps and a car pulls up at the other end. Two guys got out looking around, split up and started walking towards me. One guy was circling the pumps getting on my 9 and the other guy was slowly heading straight to me. We made eye contact and he stopped so we just stared at each other for a few seconds as I bladed myslef and rested my hand on the grip of my holstered gun casually. He finally turned around and they both got in the car and left. I finished pumping my gas and quickly got in the car locked the doors and left! :)

• Like 1

Be careful to check for ATM card skimmers. We check our ATM here every morning becuase they like to collect them early so they aren't detected. He could have been a little "late" on his pickup and was just waiting for the line to clear so he could grab it and run. Keep a close eye on your card activity for a week or so and always tug and pull on any ATM card slot to make sure there isn't a false one on top. And if you think you can spot a fake just by sight, trust me, these people put a whole lot of time and effort into crafting these to look exactly like the originals.

Here's an example of how real they can look:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/08/up-close-with-a-3d-printed-card-skimmer/

Edited by gnmwilliams

Volphin is probably right that he was just a vagrant, but always good to know what is going on around you.

On a side note (since you mentioned it) is the courthouse you go to posted? I ask since it is not illegal to carry in a courthouse..only a room where a judicial proceeding is taking place.

Yes it is. They have that ugly red circle with a slash at every door.

Guest j2thawood

I had that happen. I had a really weird feeling grabbing a late night snack in the kitchen. Then I heard a noise at the door and found my mother in law outside. Freaky $%!^... :)

Finding my mother in law outside my door anytime is freaky lol.

Way to be aware of your surroundings. Read my old thread about "Bat senses kicked in today". I don't know if they were the same guys that robbed a customer a few days later, but it sure seemed like the same MO.

Stay safe

I can't think of a single good reason for someone on foot to be hanging around the ATM, and I imagine the bank manager would agree with that. I heartily dislike hoodies, especially when up -- it screams "I am a thug and I am up to no good."

Have you considered using the nonemergency number to call the cops for them to check it out?

Edited by QuietDan

I can't think of a single good reason for someone on foot to be hanging around the ATM, and I imagine the bank manager would agree with that. I heartily dislike hoodies, especially when up -- it screams "I am a thug and I am up to no good."

Have you considered using the nonemergency number to call the cops for them to check it out?

No, not really. He was in a public place where it's legal to be. What justification would I have to report him? I was very uneasy and in my mind very suspicious and had me on guard. Had he been on or near my property, that's a different story. He was just "watching" us at the ATM. Don't know his intent but just watching is no crime.

No, not really. He was in a public place where it's legal to be. What justification would I have to report him? I was very uneasy and in my mind very suspicious and had me on guard. Had he been on or near my property, that's a different story. He was just "watching" us at the ATM. Don't know his intent but just watching is no crime.

I can only speak for my town, and other towns I've lived in before, but a nonemergency call for "suspicious activity" to include shady characters just hanging around outside a store, will usually generate a police response. You don't have to have a chapter and verse legal reason to call. The police recognize citizen's "gut feelings" because they get them too. They are, or are supposed to be, trained observers. What you see as a shady character just hanging around might also have glazed eyes that you didn't see, or the bulge of a pistol in his hoodie pocket. Or be known to the police as a habitual criminal out on probation. You don't have to check all this out, or have to hang around or even be identified in any way, because that's what the cops do.

The police can in fact walk up to folks and say "Hi! How are you doing?" Individual's conduct after that point either raise the bar of suspicious activity, or lower it. "I'm waiting for my girlfriend to get off shift" might be followed with "What's her name? How long has she been working here? What time does she get off?" Bad answers or not knowing can also generate "Do you have any outstanding warrants? Are you under probation? Have you been drinking? Do you mind if I see your ID?"

Therefore, your call, based on your "gut" feeling, might actually generate legitimate police activity, based on stuff you don't know and wouldn't have a right to ask for.

Or, you might be soaking wet. In which case, the police can check on and discount your concerns pretty quick, and still "show the flag" as the Police Cruiser is once again in the parking lot -- it's gotta be somewhere. Any bad guys other than your suspicious character will once again be warned off.

Edited by QuietDan

Good job being aware of your surroundings.

What I find odd (I am not criticizing I just am trying to figure out your mindset) is that even though your "radar" was pinging with threats you made no effort to extricate yourself.

I have read about instances that victims of an attack felt that something was wrong just prior to the attack yet did not act on the feeling.

You had much more than a feeling yet you stayed in the situation.

Again I am not trying to be a smart a$$ I just trying to figure out why.

Afterall what's the point of keeping your eyes open if we don't respond to potential threats? <== rhetorical question

Edited by frontier737