Reloading Brass question

Guest asaxton

Guest asaxton

I just started reloading. My first 50 rounds (45 colt) used Winchester brass, winchester (large) primers, titegroup powder 6.8 grains, .452 200 grain fnrp. All 50 fired great. I was very happy with them. I was inspecting the brass to reload and noticed that several of the pieces of brass appear to be bulging slightly a little above the rim. There aren't any cracks, when the light hits it you can visibly see the bulge. When you run your finger over it, you can feel a very slight bump. It appears that the bulge goes around the brass on all sides, kinda like it mushroomed out. Would this be a case of simply some bad brass or something that I may have done when loading? I have set all of this aside for now with the intentions of not reusing it.

Could be from an oversized chamber on the gun. I have read that a lot of 45LC chambers are cut very generous. Resize it and keep shooting it. If it starts to crack, get rid of it.

Your load of Titegroup is a pretty stout starting load for a 45LC. The book shows that is about 950fps. What gun are you shooting it in?

• Like 1
Guest asaxton

Could be from an oversized chamber on the gun. I have read that a lot of 45LC chambers are cut very generous. Resize it and keep shooting it. If it starts to crack, get rid of it.

Your load of Titegroup is a pretty stout starting load for a 45LC. The book shows that is about 950fps. What gun are you shooting it in?

According to the recipe, it starts at 6.5 grains and max of 7.7 grains. Shooting in a Ruger BlackHawke and WInchester rifle.

Mike's already on it. It's the chamber.

There was an article in the last issue of Handloader® about 45 Colt chamber sizes. They are all over the place. It's something you have to learn to live with, but if I were you, I would pick up a copy of this months issue and read about it. All dies are not created equal when it comes to sizing the colt case.

As far as reusing them....Run one through your sizing die. Stick it back in the gun. Did it fall all the way in? If it didn't, toss them. If you have to gently push one to go in, that's cool, but if you have push with any real effort, trash it. If, after resizing, they go back in the chamber, load them.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk that was custom built. The cylinder was replaced and the chambers cut tighter than average and I STILL get a slight bulge ahead of the rim. Most of that is from the dies though. The sizer can only get so close to the base.

Now that we know it's a Ruger Blackhawk, you wanna take that back or would you like to man up try what I offered you at the range a while back? Anyone who doubts the testicular fortitude of the 45 Colt in a Ruger.......I'll make a believer out of you. :devil:

Ohhh, for the record. Despite many loads of acceptable accuracy and exceptionally uncharacteristic pressures for the venerable 45 Colt; My VERY best load to date is a 200g lead RN that I cast soft, my own lube recipe, and 7g of AA Nitro 100. They feel like a mouse farted under the weight of the Ruger.

Guest asaxton

Now that we know it's a Ruger Blackhawk, you wanna take that back or would you like to man up try what I offered you at the range a while back? Anyone who doubts the testicular fortitude of the 45 Colt in a Ruger.......I'll make a believer out of you. :devil:

You obviously have me confused with someone else. The only range I shoot at is in my backyard. So what are you trying to say anyway?

I will admit to shooting some mighty light loads in the last few years. I regret not shooting Casters beautiful Ruger. At the time, I was actually afraid I might drop it. :surrender:

Maybe next time.

Yes, now that we know the OP has a Blackhawk, I say load it up! If your wrist can take it, the gun can.

There was an article in the last issue of Handloader® about 45 Colt chamber sizes. They are all over the place. It's something you have to learn to live with, but if I were you, I would pick up a copy of this months issue and read about it. All dies are not created equal when it comes to sizing the colt case.

As far as reusing them....Run one through your sizing die. Stick it back in the gun. Did it fall all the way in? If it didn't, toss them. If you have to gently push one to go in, that's cool, but if you have push with any real effort, trash it. If, after resizing, they go back in the chamber, load them.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk that was custom built. The cylinder was replaced and the chambers cut tighter than average and I STILL get a slight bulge ahead of the rim. Most of that is from the dies though. The sizer can only get so close to the base.

I have a Rossi 92 that does that on some loads , and have picked up some range brass with the "pot-belly".

The Handloader artical (page 26 Feb 2012) also mentioned a dual ring carbide sizer die by Redding that helps. I seem to recall seeing other brands touting them recently also.