S&W M&P 40 Pro 5

Guest hillbilly007

Guest hillbilly007

I've been looking for a new .40, and I came across some info on the S&W M&P 40 Pro with a 5 inch barrel.

Anybody got one?

Anybody care to share an opinion?

Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hillbilly007

Thanks for the replies.

Trekbike: My plan is to use the pistol as a self-protection defense gun. I like the ballistics of a ,40 and the 5 inch barrel only makes it better.

My biggest concern is that I've never had a S&W semi, I've got 4 S&W wheel guns that work great.

When i got my first carry gun i got a big freaking double stack Para Ordnance PRX1445 which is a double stack 1911 in .45. I wanted a big gun to make sure I was on target and could easily qualify. Eventually I realized I could have easily qualified with a smaller gun and I would never carry my Para Ordnance in public because it was too dadgum big. My advice is to go to the stores and find a gun you wouldn't mind putting on your hip comfortably. Just imagine them weighing quite a bit more with bullets and when you can hold 15 .40cal bullets it's going to be HEAVY and drag your pants down or your belt will be so tight you won't be able to breath... I would suggest you look at smaller single stack .40s. The glock 27 is a tad heavy since it holds 9 (plus 2 with the pierce grips). If you don't mind .45 the Springfield is releasing the XDS soon, and I would recommend you check it out.

http://www.xdspistol.com

JMHO here. But what about the Glock 30? 10+1 rounds of 45acp in a good-size package. And if that's too much for you, there's the G36. Although I prefer the 30 over the 36.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good advice, I like the G-36 because it's nearly the same size as the G-19/23 but the G-30 is a fine pistol. Before you spend your money though take the time to shoot a G-23 and a G-27 as well as Ruger's very nice SR 40c, it's important to keep an open mind when looking for a defensive carry pistol.

Edited by TNWNGR

Didn't explain why I prefered the G30 over the G36. Basically, it's the same reason I don't care for any other of the G series subcompacts. i just can't feel comfortable with my pinky hanging out in midair. I like the feel of the full grip available on the 19/30/23 frames. I realize many will disagree with me on it, but I'm not dissing the guns, I just am not comfortable with the smaller grip.

M & P Pro 40 i have seen in use have been great! but as stated it always been at pistol (USPSA) matches 40 has a scoring advantage.

but since you are talking about a defencivse roll, if you shoot M & P already and are happy. stay with them, the glock grip angle as you know is a lot different so your point shooting should be low, compared against the Glock that you do not normally shoot.

but that is only my 2 cents.

just do whats right for.

Guest windhamdw

I got the the M&P 9c last weekend and finelly got to shot it this weekend and love it, now i'm tring to find the full size.

I got to shoot a M&P 9mm (with a suppressor) at the range the other day. I dig it. Good gun. Don't think you can ever go wrong with a S&W. (I own mainly Glocks and 1911's, so that's my basis for comparison on the M&P).

(On a side note I shot my friends S&W .357 - dunno which model - this weekend and it was a very nice pistol as well).

• Authorized Vendor

I have two M&P 9MM 5" Pro Series pistols. One I use as a fun gun with a Dr Optic red dot mounted to the slide for paper and steel. I also installed the APEX competition trigger system in it and polished the internals and feed ramp. It's a lot of fun to shoot and has become my favorite target pistol.

The other is currently under construction...I've installed the APEX carry trigger set up..polished the internals and feed ramp...stippled the frame and have it tore apart at the shop getting ready for some paint. The slide is up in Michigan getting some laser etching, Top serrations and a nickle boron coating.

I'm really happy with these two guns and never had a hiccup with either.....some pictures available upon request :up:

Edited by Grand Torino

I think you should hold it and dry fire it a few times. It is longer with the 5 inch barrel, but the Pro model has many of the features of the custom shop guns without the higher price. I have the older model M&P 45 with the safety lever ( throw back to 1911 habits) , I will have to say I like the way it handles.

Guest hillbilly007

The biggest problem I have with the Glocks, including the Gen4 models, is the size of my hands. I have been blessed with mighty large hands. Even the full size Glocks don't feel comfortable. I worked am M&P 40 at Outpost and really liked the way S&W did the interchangable back straps. Their don't just increase the back of the grip, they flare the sides some too.

As I explained to the guy at Outpost, I guess I've never forgiven S&W for those crappy Sygmas.

Thanks for all the input. :up: