New AK!

Smith

Well, I decided to "build" another one. I decided to tryy one of the new IZH-332 Saiga's that have the front end converted at the Izhmash factory. This makes a full conversion much easier and cheaper since I didn't have to hunt down the parts and then send them off to have installed. The only drawback is that the reciever doens't have "dimples", but most of them till recently didn't either so it's not that big of a deal. I'm gonna leave this one kinda basic. I'm really diggin the Molot grip. These thing are great! BTW the threads are 24x1.5 and the front trunnion was flat onth is reciever. Every other one I've had was round. Outside of converting the rear end the only other thing I had to do was cut the thread protector off the front sight block. Here she is!

before: (stock photo)

LEGIZH-332_1.jpg

After:

IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0260.jpg

Edited by Smith
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith, very nice.

I wish this model was available when I did my conversion. What does this model appx cost?

Right now they are running in the sub $550 range I used to get Red Jacket to do my front end work and he only charged me $100 in labor to remove and install the new parts (VERY cheap compared to others I asked). I would refinish them myself. So if you take a Saiga @ $375ish, +$70 HG, +$40 Gas tube, +$50 GB, +$25 FS, and +20 HG retainer. you would come out to to about $580 without paying for labor just to convert the front end. Add labor and you are close to $700 and you haven refinished it or converted the back end. Pretty good deal IMO.

BTW - I still have to plug the back holes. I've got an internal reciever block and ACE stock, but I think I'm going to put that on the Tantal I've got coming and put the Polish folder on this one.

Edited by Smith

If you are paying $700 before refinish and the rear end, wouldn't it be easier to just buy a Arsenal for $760 all done for you. Unless you are doing the build for fun? :)

That kinda my point. Unless you go the route I did and get it with the front end already converted you are going to be very close to an Aresenal when it's all said and done the old way. Right now I've got less than $600 in it. That's over $200 less than an Aresnal. Of course I used to be able to do these a LOT cheaper. I guess words gotten out. :(