Small .40 suggestions?

Guest mellowglock

Guest mellowglock

Hi folks. I carry a full sized XD45 and am looking for a smaller handgun for those moments when I'm wearing shorts and a tshirt or that I can use as a backup gun.

It should meet the following requirements:

Caliber: All my life I've shot 45ACP and it hurts to go smaller but am willing. I'm looking for something .40 or bigger. Am willing to check out 9mm, but it would hurt.

Small: Maybe not as small as a Taurus TCP or the Ruger LCP, but close. Must be small enough to fit in a pocket or ankle holster.

Safety: I've owned and shot a lot of different guns including Glocks (had a Glock 30 forever). While I know that guns with trigger safeties are safe, I grew up and have trained with a slide/thumb safety like on my 1911s. My XD45 has one installed and it's habit, muscle memory now, to flick that safety down before firing.

Reliability: Probably the most important thing is that the gun most go boom every time. My XD45 has never jammed, no matter what I feed it. I'm looking for something like that.

Cost: Preferably around the $300 mark, although up to $500 would be pushing it, but probably ok.

Now, I'm not trying to start another Caliber or Safety vs No Safety war. I'm not saying one is better than other and they both have their own merits. I'm just looking for the features I'm used to in a smaller package. Just looking for suggestions.

Any ideas?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the $300 is what has got me stuck. I'm not a Taurus fan but they do have a single stack slim .40 that just by chance does have a mechanical safety. I'm sure you have thought about XD SC and baby Glocks, and your probably wanting smaller. There is a new Kahr CM40 out but it will be closer to $500. You might find a Keltec P40 but I'll tell you they are rare and only about 5% smaller than a baby Glock. Could it be a revolver? You could get a Taurus 327mag which performs pretty close to 40/357mag levels without awefull recoil.

Edited by Patton

A J-frame makes a nice pocket gun. .357 is no slouch when stacked up against .45.

I pocket carry a Walther PPS on occasion. They make that in a .40 - though it does rely on the safety that's located between your ears.

Great suggestions but neither is close to $300, maybe if it's not a true S&W Jframe but a Taurus or Charter Arms.

• Admin Team

You can pick up a a 442 or 642 all day on here in the $300 to $350 range. They're .38 Special +P rated. It's been a while since I've seen a 340 or 640 come across.

You're right on the Walther. It's going to be tough to find one in that range - though one just sold on here last week in 9mm with three mags at the upper end of his range. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/44661-fs-walther-pps-9mm/page__hl__%2Bwalther+%2Bpps__fromsearch__1

Guest A10thunderbolt

I carry a Taurus .357 2" barrel with the Knurled flush hammer(I don't really know what its called), only down side its heavy. Its not hard to fix the trigger pull either just don't try to much, its a real pain to get a new spring in my experience.

With $500 to spend I might still recommend the Kahr CM40, it's close to the smallest .40SW made. If you think you can handle 357 mag a .357 LCR is a lot for a little package. Just about everything mentioned so far does not have a mechanical safety but a long trigger pull.

Guest mellowglock

Wow, I really appreciate all the feedback! So far the Taurus 740 looks like a good contender. Are they decent/reliable guns? I've not really shot their firearms before.

My brother-in-law has a Taurus 740 slim, probably meets all your criteria.

My thoughts as well. I have a PT709 ( same size as 740 ), that's a good smaller gun,

fits in the front pocket of my TruSpec pants, inside a Blackhawk nylon pocket holster

I got at Wally World for $10. Probably get one for around $360 or so. Also have a

Crossbreed Supertuck for it.

Guest Catfish36

Have you considered the Glock 27? It is my EDC ...love it. Maybe slightly too big for some pockets..and at the upper end of your price range. But it will definetly go Boom every time...never had one jam or misfire and I shoot whatever is cheapest..

I have carried this gun alot on my ankle, IWB, OC, or just put it in a Desantis Nemesis and see if it fits your pocket.

.40 Cal.

Guest Star1021Scott

Wow, I really appreciate all the feedback! So far the Taurus 740 looks like a good contender. Are they decent/reliable guns? I've not really shot their firearms before.

To my knowledge he has not experienced any issues thus far with his. My father in law also owns a taurus, thus far nothing but praise. I think given your requirements, and value for the money, the 740 may be the way to go.

Edited by Star1021Scott
Guest Aces&8s

The 740 definitely meets your criteria, but the QC on Taurus products has been spotty in the past. If you get a good one, you get a great one, but if you get a bad one, prepare for a headache getting it made right. That said, the Slim is a great pistol... I just decided to go .45, rather than .40, but only due to personal caliber preference, not because I didn't like the gun.

I'm in agreement with the G-27 recomendation, it work's well in an ankle holster and a coat pocket, but is best in an IWB carry set up. FWIW I've carried on as an OD/BUG for over ten years w/o any problems with it. What it's not is thin, what it is though is durable with 9 rounds in a standard magazine as well as the capability to have some first class sight's installed on it as well.

Well, my first thought is to look at the .45 options, and the Kahr CW45 comes to mind. It is probably a little big for pants pocket carry, but is fine for ankle, IWB, or jacket pockets.

The Glock 30/36 and the SA XD45C are also fantastic carry guns, but not what I would classify as ankle or pocket carry options.

As for options in .40S&W that meet your criteria, the Kahr CM40 may be your only choice. They run between $400 and $450 new. The Glock 27 and XD40SC are great, but again, not what I would consider for pocket carry. I also like the Wlather PPS as a IWB option, but it is considerably more expensive and larger than Kahrs CM series.

You might want to look at 9mm as an option. Especially when you get into the smaller frames, the .40 becomes a beast. I am not usually very sensitive to recoil, but a hundred rounds or so through a PM40 is uncomfortable. I don't really have an issue with controlling the .40, but it is snappy.

For me, I really look at the round capacity vs caliber when looking at a lot of the subcompact offerings. I like the Glock 27 over the 26, because you only give up one round. I prefer the XD9SC over the XD40SC for the opposite reason, I gain 4 rounds in the XD9SC.

Guest mellowglock

Oh wow, that PX4 Sub 40 is a sexy beast. A small tad more than what I originally wanted to pay, but it's perfect in every other way. Think I'll head to the gun shop later.

Thanks again everybody! Really got me looking into revolvers for the first time, and those Khars are nice. I played around with one of the smaller ones not to long ago at a gun show, just missed the safety that I'm so used too.

Edited by mellowglock