Feel like I hit the lottery

I've been on hiatus from this forum, and actually all things firearms related since my father was diagnosed with leukemia, which just happened to be the day I finally got my C&R license. So I had done no shooting since last April, nor had I done anything with my license, when I decided I needed to blow off some steam and find some fun stuff to do instead of all the not so fun stuff I've been dealing with.

So 2 weeks ago, I found some round reciever M91/30's in unissued condition online for about $80 each. I naturally ordered 2 and figured I commit the atrocity of sporterizing one and leaving the other in original condition (there's only about 20 million of these rare beauties around).

Well, I've been tracking the UPS packages until they arrived at my house and I noticed that the weight seemed to be way off and very different in each package. "Oh well" I thought.

The packages finally arrived today. I noticed one very large and long package and one very small package. I figured the small package was the goodies (bayonet, firing pin gauge. etc.) except it was very heavy when I picked it up.

So I get the packages into the house and I immediately went to opening the small package first. What I saw inside was 2 unmarked spam cans that had no markings whatsoever and 2 can openers. I figure that I've never gotten an unissued Mosin or the goodies, maybe for some crazy reason, the goodies were originally packaged in spam cans so I started to open one. What I found was that it was a case of 7.62x54r steel core ammo. So I got 2 free cases of ammo. WTF? Worth more than the rifles I payed for.

Big question: Being that it is from completely unmarked spam cans, should I trust firing it? The cartridges seem to be appropiately maked and good to go.

• Like 1

Good to hear from you again. We've missed seeing you in the store. I pray all is well with you dad? Anyway, the Mosin will handle the crappiest ammo you could ever find so you should be good to go. Congrats on the gun BTW! :up:

Thanks Smith. My dad is unfortunately at the palative care phase of his care, but we've had a very good year in spite of the situation. These things make you appreciate time like you normally do not. The guns are actually really sweet. The best condition 91/30's I've ever seen. Wonder why these have been hidden back for so long?

• Like 1

Did you call whoever you bought the rifles from and let them know about the ammo?

Just cause they sent it does not make it right to just up and keep it. I could not do it, would have to let them know about it.

As I stated in the original post, I had already opened one of the cans because I really didn't realize what I had at first since it was unmarked (I thought all ammo was marked), so it wouldn't do any good to send them back loose ammo. They were already closed when I discovered what had happened. I will send the other can back to them if they want, but I won't pay the shipping. I didn't order it, so I shouldn't have to pay for the shipping back, IMHO.

• Like 1

its pretty obvious whats in them spam cans. Justify it any way you want. I'd call and ask them what they want to do. Certainly you should not have to pay shipping. An employee made an error.

Just sayin

Mike, I'm a lot of things, a liar or a cheat has never been one of them. It never occurred to me than anyone could make that kind of error. Had the can been marked, I would have known exactly what was in it especially since I thought it had to be marked by law (guess I was wrong). This was my very first C&R order to my home. I have had Mosins before, but they came from the store and were uncrated with all the goodies out and in the open. I didn't know this was not how they came originally.

• Like 1

I never accused anyone of being a liar or a cheat. got it?

It is obvious what is in a spam can, marked or not. An oil can, tool pouch and sling do not weigh that much.

Regardless, all I was saying is I would be contacting them to see about returning the ammo or purchasing it.

Someone made a mistake shipping it.

I'd be checking on the legality of that. Those items were not asked for so it is up to the seller to recognize the mistake. They can battle with the bank. If it were me and it came down to it, I'd buy the ammo. I love the stuff.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

What TNTNixon does or doesn't do is up to him and the dealer. So far there is nothing he can do till they open anyway and then it will have to worked out. He didn't know when he opened them what it was. It happens. Either way he's been down and trying to get back up. Glad we have someone to kick him back down and make sure he's corrected. :down:

Guest tlondon

In the famous words of Rodney King, Cant we all just get along!!! The OP said he didnt know what was in the can. He opened one and found out what was in the can. He didnt open the other and he said he was going to call the company and find out what they want him to do. I really dont see the big deal here.

Guest A10thunderbolt

I had never seen a spam can until about 2 months ago, if I had received one before discovering them on line, I would have opened it to see what was in it. However the first thing I would have done is check my card to see if they had charged me for it, and then called them. :up:

Obviously somebody in the shipping area slapped the wrong label on the ammo. So, somewhere there is a fellow wondering where his ammo is, and the company thinks that it already shipped.

Most of these companies like AIM Surplus, SOG, etc are pretty small operations. Having 20-30 folks working in one place is not the same as GM or Microsoft. A lost shipment costs them two ways; both the loss of merchandise and shipping costs they have to make good to the ammo buyer, and also the online complaints that will almost certainly result. Their profit margins are pretty slim. This simple mistake probably cost them around $300 out of hand, and an unknown amount in lost sales from a single complaint.

If you had simply called them, they could have arranged a re-shipment of the ammo at their expense. Things happen, and this is normal procedure. Having opened a can, you still need to call the company in order to let them know where the ammo is. They can then tell you how to handle it.

No matter how you look at it, it's not your ammo. You did not win the lottery. If you had sold something and shipped it to the wrong person by mistake, should that person just keep it and not let you know?

Guest cardcutter

No matter how you look at it, it's not your ammo. You did not win the lottery. If you had sold something and shipped it to the wrong person by mistake, should that person just keep it and not let you know?

Technically it is his to do with as he wishes. Unsolicited things sent to you without your knowledge or consent are considered gifts by the law. He may do with the as He sees fit. They are responsible for their mistakes Not OP. Now if he chooses to and only if he chooses to he can pay for or he can sit back and laugh at their mistake. The choice is OP's.

Guest A10thunderbolt

This sounds like something I would tell my wife "No I don't know why they sent me all this ammo I guess they just added it to the order on accident to late now" :stunned:

Yall make me laugh. In one thread a bunch of yall are holier than though and now in this one yall are telling him to keep something that he didnt pay for. Say he goes to the bank and the teller accidentally gives him more money would you tell him to keep the extra money? It is the exact same thing.

• Like 2

I would call the place and inform them of this error. Let them know that I opened one of the cans and saw that it was ammo and knew this wasn't my order and now would like to know what they want to do. If they tell you to keep it, Great! If they want it back, then shipping should be on their dime not yours.

That is what I would do and that is what I would advise a person to do. For whatever that is worth.

Edited by memphismason
  • Like 1

Technically it is his to do with as he wishes. Unsolicited things sent to you without your knowledge or consent are considered gifts by the law. He may do with the as He sees fit. They are responsible for their mistakes Not OP. Now if he chooses to and only if he chooses to he can pay for or he can sit back and laugh at their mistake. The choice is OP's.

This is exactly what I thought. Sounds like the guy needs a break. Not like the company is gonna go under because of it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk