thinking of changing my edc from g27 to a 4" ria 1911 any suggestions?

I have been thinking of getting rid of my glock and getting a 1911 and would like to go highend but the ría is in the budget and i have heard good things about them i just dont know much about working on 1911 whear as i know How to replace everything in glocks and im just used to polymer gun and im a bit nervous about taking the plundge and would like some advise.i will have to sell or trade the glock to fund it aswell since im a broke man right now

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, why the change then? I've carried both and

am okay with it, but I'm more confident of my use

of the G30 than the 1911. Besides you will gain

some weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just always liked the 1911 i just havent ever owned one and just trying to get some opinions from people with both so thankyou for the unbiased comment and maybe i will just keep the 27 and save for a 1911 and just have both

I had an xd.40 sc and did like it but i shot 500 rds though it and got offered 50 bucks more than i paid for it so i bought the 27 and i think it feels better iwb and seems to print less and the narrow frame of 1911s is one thing i really like

I have just always liked the 1911 i just havent ever owned one and just trying to get some opinions from people with both so thankyou for the unbiased comment and maybe i will just keep the 27 and save for a 1911 and just have both

Best comment made. And you awnsered your own question. See how easy that was. We can always help here.

I have both. The 1911 is just a little more complicated to work, and a little heavier. Besides, It would bug me if I scratched up my 1911. But don't worry... somebody will come along in a minute and totally disagree with me :pleased:

Here I am :D

not really disagreeing but offering my 2 cents

I carry a full size 1911 every day. I love the feel of the gun, the way it draws, the accuracy. however I sacrifice, number of rounds, and adds significant weight. That's just a choice. If it were me I wouldn't get rid of the Glock in favor of the 1911. I would just save the money, and have both. Then through shooting and carrying decide which you like better. and if selling one is warranted after that, so be it. of course that requires being able to extend $500 for a month or so while deciding. Its your money though, so that's a choice you have to make.

Edited by Lumber_Jack

ria makes a good gun. Very good, considering its price. And, I would add that high end 1911s are not always good carry choice -- you don't want to ding up a $4000 gun, and the extra tight fits of high dollar guns make for (sometimes) pick ammo eating, and they can also be picky about being clean (dunno about you but my carry gun gets lint and dust and such, I clean it once a month even if unfired!). A high end trigger is going to be very light, which the rumor mill always claims can get you in legal trouble (hair trigger blah blah blah) though I have never seen a case quoted for that. I would rather have the ria than most high end guns for daily use. Or a mid grade, nothing much over 1000 for sure.

Recommendations:

First, if you are OK with the glock, keep the glock. If you hate the thing, sell it and from there:

consider a more modern 1911 design. Ria makes a high capacity 9mm "1911" for example, which is an excellent alternative to the old 7 shot 45 variety. Selling guns is a losing game; you get a fraction of what you spent, then turn around to buy a new one and get robbed. Look for a used gun, but few people sell their rias once they get em, or look for a decent trade. 9mm is much, much cheaper than 45 to shoot for practice, and swapping to a totally new platform means you will need practice.

My EDC used to be a 4 inch 1911 but I made the switch to Glock a while back. I still carry my 1911 every so often, but am stuck on the Glock. I don't think you can go wrong either way, just be sure to shoot one before you buy so you can get the mechanics down and operate it safely.

You will likely find that the 1911 is easier to hide.

Have a good stiff belt.

But you will also likely find that you might have to tinker with the RIA to get it reliable with JHP. Or you might get lucky and it will be fine.

You WILL find that you can shoot more accurately/quickly than with the G27

(maybe not but I will be surprised of you don't).

I like both.

I love my 1911s; I've carried them and I still sometimes carry one but I came to the conclusion some time ago that in most cases, the Glock is a better choice for a carry weapon.

I'm not saying that a Glock or any other more modern design is necessarily better than a 1911 or that the 1911 can't get the job done; it's just that I've found my Glocks to be more dependable and less complicated and you get a "bang" almost every time you pull the trigger which is what you need if your life is on the line.

Guest bkelm18

I carry a commander size American Tactical 1911 when I don't need to be super discreet. I really like 1911s. They're heavy enough to soak up that recoil, but not too heavy to be uncomfortable on the hip. They are the only guns I can make the center of a target disappear with. Now IMO, I dislike Glocks. I've never gotten used to the grip no matter how many times I've tried. That's just my own personal feeling though.

image.jpg

The best option is to keep the G27 and get a 1911 when you can afford the model you prefer. I am more comfortable in my abilities with a 1911, as I've carried one for quite a few years. During the last summer I carried my G27 more often than I had in the past.

I started carrying a Glock 23 over a decade ago because I'm left handed and never could find a holster that could prevent the safety from swiping off sometime during the day when carrying a 4" Kimber Compact. Unholstering at the end if the day & discovering you have been carrying cocked & unlocked is not a comforting feeling. I have tried a number of holsters from Alessi to Uncle Mike and none prevented the safety from swiping off. I even tried installing a ambi safety and grinding the left side lever down to nearly nothing & somehow sometime during the day I would still manage to bump against something & swipe it off.

The Kimber is a little more accurate off sandbags, but I shoot the Glock just as well. The Glock is a little thicker, but not much, and enough lighter to be much more comfortable, esp. by the end of the day. I also have 5 more rounds in the G23.

If you're comparing a Glock to a 1911 you might as well consider a full-size. They are no thicker than the compacts and more comparable to the 1911 in weight which helps with recoil. Yeah, I've got a Glock 22 on me right now. 16 rounds of .40 S&W goodness.

Edited by JReedEsq

If you're comparing a Glock to a 1911 you might as well consider a full-size. They are no thicker than the compacts and more comparable to the 1911 in weight which helps with recoil. Yeah, I've got a Glock 22 on me right now. 16 rounds of .40 S&W goodness.

Nothin' better than a heavily armed lawyer! :pleased:

Guest FiddleDog

I switched my EDC from a G26 to a 3" 1911. It doesn't look like much of a difference, but it does feel it. The difference in the thickness by far makes the 1911 a much easier EDC. As with all firearms that you're going to entrust your life to, shoot it at least enough to be confident in it and in yourself with it. This process will address the "break-in" period that most manufacturers talk about.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever works for you is great. I bought a 23 and didn't like the size of it so I rarely carried it. I switched to a 27 and like it a lot more. I am pretty small framed though. Not knocking what works for you at all, just thought I would toss my experience in there.

I love shooting 1911s, they are my favorite pistols for shooting. I prefer to carry my Glock though. I just don't seem to worry about putting wear and tear on the Glock. Holster wear, scratches and whatnot don't bother me. I would hate to do that to a 1911, but again that is just me.

Guest foister82

I have a 2011 ria 1911 w night sights and love it..m that being said its not very comfortable to carry...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk