bought the wrong gun, and I love it!

Guest earlybird

Guest earlybird

Was looking for a full size .40 after selling my Walther. Spent the day riding around to different shops and took one home for about $400, actually a few weeks ago, but I've been busy.

676A0111.jpg

A EAA (Zastava) EZ9 in 9mm. Made is Serbia.I wanted a .40, but said what the heck. Price was right, gun is very comfortable in my hand, and very crisp feeling. So I said "give it to me."

1st issue I had with it, it came with 1 15 round magazine. Bugger. Factory mags are quite pricey and hard to come by quickly; so after some digging I found Beretta 92fs mags are a near perfect fit. After $45, a drill bit and a diamond cutter for a new hole I had a second 15 round, a 20 round, and a 32 round magazine. Works without issues. I wouldn't recommend it, but I was a bit antsy and impatient...

676A0110.jpg

To the range. I tossed 200 rounds through it out of the box. Zero issues, no misfires, ftf, fte, just perfect. My hand and wrist were not sore, tingly or in the least bit "off" feeling, if I can call it that. My USP compact would tear my wrist and hand up after 150 rounds. Not bad. Grouping was pretty good. I'm used to higher end, compact stuff, so I was very satisfied.

both are at 15 yards. I could go at length about my shooting and what went were. But I don't feel like it :) Groupings were good out of the box. Oh yeah, I am VERY near sighted and wasn't wearing my glasses... couldn't hardly see the targets but I digress,

676A0106.jpg

676A0108.jpg

2nd issue. There is technically no safety on the gun. I don't carry a round in the chamber so no issue there. Just saying, I'd like a safety if I were to carry it. But it is a little bulky for carry, as it has an ambidextrous magazine release, slide release/de-cocker. The Misses really likes it because she is left handed. So that kinda works out good, she can use it without issue as well, but now she wants one of her own... to the classifieds!

Aside from those 2 gripes of mine, it is a keeper. Like I said I love it! I thought it was going to be a regrettable purchase, but boy was I wrong. I am thrilled to call it mine!

I will be shooting it again on Wednesday, this time with my glasses :) And I'll bring along a few different types of ammunition and give an update.

edit: I apologize for the bad pictures as the lens got knocked out of adjustment on my camera. I needed a new one anyways. Hopefully I can get some better pictures later on.

Edited by earlybird
Guest earlybird

Actually I don't carry the gun with me unless I am going to the range now. It is prohibited to have a firearm at my workplace or on the property. Can't even keep it in my car, and yes they do random searches. And being on call pretty much 24/7, with the odd day off it has become a bit of a hassle having to run home to drop it off before going to work. So it just gets locked up in the case or safe. I've got an old shotgun for home, so I don't need it fro home defense. Yup, work has made it next to impossible for daily carry. Pretty stupid with the amount of coin we deal with, but it is their rules, and I was out of work for a while and finding a job is pretty difficult at the moment. Working on changing but for now, it is what it is.

Guest Kamikaze

We are hiring. I brought my two new guns in yesterday to show them off. My carry comes in with me every day. Like I said we are hiring. Sucks about your work, that would drive me crazy. You can't even have it in a car safe?

Guest earlybird

Ok. Range report number 2. Now that the new gun smell has worn off :D I can't keep a good grouping with it. I was too embarrassed to take pictures this time, and I even wore my glasses... I need more practice, need to really figure out where the placement is next time out. Still "feeling it out," took me about 1000 rounds through the USP compact to get it right. I still think there is a little too much play in the barrel/slide, from what I am used too, for accurate placement. I'll keep working at it. Still a keeper, just felt the need to bash it a little, can't love it without a little hatred :)

Only 1 issue showed up this time. The 32 round mag decided not to feed. At all. I may work on it a bit, or just toss it. Almost felt like the mag spring or feeder was binding in the mag housing? Anyways The 15 and 20 worked as they should. With the exception of the mag issue, it fed another 250 rounds without a hiccup. After its second good cleanup, still no signs of wear. Will go another round with it in a couple weeks.

On the hunt for something for the misses. I think a good .22 will keep her happy.

Edited by earlybird