Range Report (Springfield XDM 9mm 3.8)

Seabeejason

I took the Tennessee Carry Permit course today and used the Springfield XDM 9mm 3.8 I just recently acquired. I have to say that it performed flawlessly. It was dead-on at the 3, 15, and 25 yard lines. I was extremely happy with the accuracy and groups. This is definitely the best handgun I have owned thus far and will remain in my possession permanently. I am going to be buying some extra extended mags from Springfield this weekend. I alternated between the extended and short mags during the course and my shots still remained on target. That definitely builds my confidence in using the shorter mag once I get my carry permit. I was a little hesitant because my pinky kinda hangs off the bottom of the grip, but it didn't seem to affect my shot.

I know this isn't a "detailed" range report. It's more of a "I shot my new gun" report. Just wanted to let everyone know in case one of you is thinking about getting one of these. They're great guns. I have to admit that I am partial to Springfield's though.

Edited by Seabeejason
  • Like 1

A friend of mine recently purchased the Springfield XD subcompact in 9mm. For me it seemed that the point of Aim / impact was a little different from my glock, but once I adjusted for that I was ringing the plates. It was a sweet shooter. (I admit that I may have been jerking the trigger / anticipating the recoil as well, still working on that kinda stuff).

Yeah, once you learn the trigger you will get that anticipation to go away. I sometimes find myself jerking the gun due to that. But I have learned to squeeze the trigger about half way before sighting all the way in and firing the round. Since I started doing that my shot has greatly improved.

A friend of mine recently purchased the Springfield XD subcompact in 9mm. For me it seemed that the point of Aim / impact was a little different from my glock, but once I adjusted for that I was ringing the plates. It was a sweet shooter. (I admit that I may have been jerking the trigger / anticipating the recoil as well, still working on that kinda stuff).

Dry fire practice will help tremendously with that. Just watch what your front site does and adjust the amount of trigger finger, etc until you find what makes the site stay still.

You'll like them. Makes the gun a lot more comfortable with the lower cap magazine.

I am sure they'll solve my problem. I went ahead and ordered an extra 13 rd mag and a 19 rd mag with the X-Tension from the XDM Store while I was at it. I can't wait until it all gets here.

I am applying for the carry permit tomorrow, so I'll be good to go once it gets here.