American Flag Patches

Hello,

I have been searching the web and getting conflicting information on the following.

As far as flag patches go, for example the ACU-themed hats that I've even seen sold at Home Depot as a Fisher House fundraiser, what "can" you wear, but what is really "appropriate"?

For example, is a hat with a flag patch considered disrespectful? My first thought is that it was (however you'd word it) displaying the flag and a sign of respect. So long as you take good care of the hat/patch.

I do have an OD fleece jacket with velcro on the sleeve, and I wouldn't put the flag patch there because to me that gets close to imitating a soldier's uniform/patches, and as a civilian, I don't think that's right. However, I do have a set of Gadsden patches ("Don't Tread on Me") that I don't mind putting on the jacket, since they aren't official military patches and represent my personal political views as well as my TEA party orientation.

I have a T-Shirt that has a picture of the flag screen-printed with "Freedom" below that, just some generic t-shirt from wal-mart or somewhere. But it's an illustration of the flag, not an actual "free standing" flag, like a patch might be.

So does anyone have any good links or thoughts on what is "appropriate" and what is not? I don't want to do anything that might make others feel disrespected or that would be wrong. I see articles online that conflict each other...

Edited by Guest
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is purely my opinion but I care for displays of the flag on clothing; I DO wear a "flag pin" on the lapel of my sport coats, suits, etc but that's pretty much as far as I go.

I don't mean to imply that anyone who does wear a flag on their hat, etc. is disrespectful to the flag nor that they are trying to be; I'm sure their intentions are good, I just don't do it.

I don't mean to imply that anyone who does wear a flag on their hat, etc. is disrespectful to the flag nor that they are trying to be; I'm sure their intentions are good, I just don't do it.

This. If intentions are good, its fine. If possible/appropriate, I try to educate people. Most have no idea a "Flag code" exists.

Here's the code: http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

and an often controversial topic...

(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
Guest bkelm18

Bear in mind that the codes quoted above refer to using actual flags as apparel, such as making a shirt out of an actual flag. I have no problem with people wearing flag patches. It's everyone's flag, not just the military's.

Section (j) is kind of what threw me for a loop.... as in, on the uniform of a patriotic organization? Or just as a way to show pride in what the flag stands for? No idea... so to avoid any issues I've just avoided the "flag patch" hat to this point. I guess it's more a matter of personal opinion, and of course, above all, that you treat the patch (if worn) with respect. Thanks for the input guys. Gonna stick with the Gadsden patches, but this clarifies a bit more on the flag patch.

Bear in mind that the codes quoted above refer to using actual flags as apparel, such as making a shirt out of an actual flag. I have no problem with people wearing flag patches. It's everyone's flag, not just the military's.

You posted that while I was typing. I would tend to agree with that, which is why I don't have a problem with the flag-patch hats, but wasn't sure what reactions I would get if worn in public.

Guest bkelm18

I have one of these:

269580.jpg

It's not a patch hat per se, but same thing. I wear it pretty often. If it offends someone, that's their problem. It's my flag and if I want to wear it proudly I'll do so.

I have an American Flag patch on my rifle bag and range bag, although I will not put a flag patch on my LBE vest because it gets a little "close" to military/official apparel at that point, just my opinion. I do have some hats that have an American Flag as part of the hat but in conjunction with other designs, usually a manafacture...free hats :)

Edited by k9wh91984
Guest lostpass

Scouts wear a flag patch as part of the uni. Class A's all the way.

I take the flag thing seriously so I don't wear one but as long as it is on some nice duds, no big deal. Stitch it on to a ratty ol t shirt and I'd be unimpressed.

The big thing, to me, is to treat the patch like you would treat an actual flag.

Picture1.png

Prince Harry.

There are plenty of servicemembers, retirees, contractors and so on that wear them everywhere. Come to Clarksville and just look around. In no way disrespectful or anything of the like.

Edited by TMF 18B

As long as you are wearing it with pride and not in a disrespectful manner; wear all the flag patches you want. Some of us enjoy seeing them. patriot.gif

Just don’t wear one while driving a ricer or carrying a Glock; that wouldn’t be right. rollfloor.gif