Saiga's Cheap

babelt

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Classic Arms has them for $319. They have then converted, 922r compliant for $479. I bought a converted Saiga from them a couple of months ago when they had them on sale for $449 and have been very happy with it. It's a basic conversion and hasn't missed a lick.

Oh great Brian. The SKS not enough for ya huh? They have an SKS-M at that shop next to Byrd's right now that you should just jump on. Best of both worlds, SKS bolt assembly and accepts AK mags!

Ah I will have to check that out, but I want something with a pistol grip too.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will be ordering one from classic.

Is the Saiga basically a commercial version of the AK? Does it use AK mags?

Search will help, but essentially a Saiga is a Russian AK that they configure to be able to import under a "sporting" gun classification. It is fairly easy to convert them to a standard AK. They will take AK mags once you install a bullet guide and take a little material off the mag catch.

That's great price on the 922r conversion! I did my own and I have about $520 in mine including mags. What convinced me to do my own was when I called up Coal Creek to get them to do it and they wanted something $600 for the conversion alone. Decided I'd just give it a whirl myself and as BK said it's so easy a monkey could do it! They are great rifles! Wouldn't mind having one in 5.45X39. My rifle is a .223.

What convinced me to do my own was when I called up Coal Creek to get them to do it and they wanted something $600 for the conversion alone.

Does that the price include the Saiga rifle or on top of it? I'd that place makes enough off the only local indoor range alone to cut people a break.

Edited by Garufa
Guest jrcnova

I have been looking at these rifles as well. I was mainly looking for something cheap that I could use for hunting deer. Never been much of a deer hunter but want to give it a shot. I own several guns but not familiar at all with these. Does anyone have a suggestion on caliber and if this would work well for what I want? What is the 922lr compliant thing people are talking about? Thanks in advance for any help given.

Garufa, that was not supplying the rifle. I told them I had a Saiga and wanted to get it converted. This was to one of the sales clerks behind the counter. He never batted an eye. Just told me the conversion would be around $600. I knew what the price was on the parts and I'd seen the Youtube vids, so I knew it wasn't all that hard to do and required no special tools. So I said thank you and left. I ordered my parts the next day. Three weeks later, I screwed up my courage and started the project myself. It took me two evenings and I had a converted Saiga. I'm not the worlds most gifted mechanic/machinest. To say even that, is a liberal use of the phrase! But this was really simple and when I was done, I knew my rifle inside and out and had the satisfaction of knowing I could do stuff like this. I also have a new found respect for the simplicity of the AK-47. It's a brillant and simple design!