Randall Knives

I don't know how to ask this without stepping on any toes, so I'll just come right out and say it....I've looked at several Randall knives, and to me, the quality I see sure doesn't seem to be up there with the prices these things command. Would someone be so kind as to explain the astronomical value of these things?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's kinda like a Jaguar and a Ford Taurus. From a distance, they look similar. They both provide transportation. But the price of the Jag is many times the price of the Taurus.

A Randall and a POS Made in China knife both cut, but the Randall is more pleasing to the eye and the hand. Just like the Jaguar.

You pays your money and take your choice. I own 2 Randalls right now. They don't do any work. They just stay in the safe and get admired from time to time. They could work, but the value would go down. I plan on selling one of them soon, as the prices and wait time have really gone up. Nearly 5 years waiting list last time I heard.

I guess it's kinda like a Jaguar and a Ford Taurus. From a distance, they look similar. They both provide transportation. But the price of the Jag is many times the price of the Taurus.

A Randall and a POS Made in China knife both cut, but the Randall is more pleasing to the eye and the hand. Just like the Jaguar.

You pays your money and take your choice. I own 2 Randalls right now. They don't do any work. They just stay in the safe and get admired from time to time. They could work, but the value would go down. I plan on selling one of them soon, as the prices and wait time have really gone up. Nearly 5 years waiting list last time I heard.

I wasn't really comparing one to a Chinese knife. I was thinking more along the lines of some of the other custom makers. To my eye, it seems that one can get a lot more bang for their buck with another brand. I suppose it is simply a difference in taste. I am in no way claiming that a Randall isn't a quality knife. They definitely are. I wonder if a lot of it is just brand recognition. Guy Clark likes them!

Guest WhiskeySix

I love handmade knives. I have been making handmade knives for several years and I can assure you they are worth every penny.

A Bowie with an 11" blade (16" overall length) made of premium Ats-34 steel has about $60 worth of just raw steel in it. A nice piece of stag for a handle can run around $65 for Sambar stag. Not to mention several pieces of nickel silver for guards and butt caps.

Then there is a leather sheath which must be made out thick, expensive leather.

The consumables eat you up. Grinding belts, sand paper, leather dye, silver solder, acetylene, etc.

By the time a fine knife is finished a maker can easily have 20 to 30 hours work invested in it.

If he charged $500 for a Bowie knife like that he'd probably make about $10 or maybe $15 an hour and still have to pay rent and electricity for all those machines.

I'd sure like to find a plumber who would only charge me $15 an hour.

Handmade knives are not for everyone. They are costly because of the the superior materials and craftsmanship. They sure are a pleasure to own.

I love handmade knives. I have been making handmade knives for several years and I can assure you they are worth every penny.

A Bowie with an 11" blade (16" overall length) made of premium Ats-34 steel has about $60 worth of just raw steel in it. A nice piece of stag for a handle can run around $65 for Sambar stag. Not to mention several pieces of nickel silver for guards and butt caps.

The consumables eat you up. Grinding belts, sand paper, leather dye, silver solder, acetylene, etc.

By the time a fine knife is finished a maker can easily have 20 to 30 hours work invested in it.

If he charged $500 for a Bowie knife like that he'd probably make about $10 or maybe $15 an hour and still have to pay rent and electricity for all those machines.

Handmade knives are not for everyone. They are costly because of the the superior materials and craftsmanship. They sure are a pleasure to own.

Very Good Post!

That answers my question very well. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I should know that anything handmade or custom made will demand a premium over something that is mass-produced.

Edited by DaddyO
Guest WhiskeySix

It's a long process to make a Randall style knife. I'm largely influenced in my style of knives by Gil Hibben, Bo Randall, and Old Bill Scagel. I like big knives mostly, there's just a meanness in this world and sometimes the answer is a good man with a big sharp knife.

Most of us have plenty of pricey guns. Most of us spend WAY too much money on pickup trucks. Too few of us spend the money on a good knife or two. Every man, or woman for that matter, should have at least one good handmade knife. Find a maker and get yourself something made that you can carry your whole life and pass on to your kids. You won't regret it.