Newb Questions

I'm very new at hunting in general and have several questions. So take it easy on me guys (been mauled with sarcasm before on other sites when requesting newbie information). Before calling TWRA and asking them, I thought I'd bounce some off of y'all and see what I could find out. I know I could probably search websites for several hours and find some of these answers, but TGO is here... and I thought I'd use it :)

I'm looking for a lot of advice from experienced hunters like those on this board. Personal opinion is great. Facts are even better for my specific questions. I watch a lot of the Outdoor Channel and learn a lot. But knowledge from those who are actually in my area is what I need to be successful and have fun.

I have no personal land for hunting. My father-in-law has about 38 acres that he said I could go check out in a few weeks. So in the meantime, I'm banking on using a WMA for hunting. I'm in Murfreesboro, so I'm guessing the closest WMA is Percy Priest? Is that correct? Anyone here ever hunt there? If so, any advice? I contacted my local NWTF chapter by recommendation of someone on another thread here for information about turkey hunting since that season is fast approaching. I'm hoping to hear back soon from them. But in the meantime:

1) Can you take 4 wheelers on WMA land?

2) Can you take blinds or stands into WMA land? If yes, do you guys utilize these when turkey or deer hunting? Any recommendations on the affordable good ones?

3) Are the WMA areas extremely packed during turkey and deer seasons? How does one negotiate a decent place to hunt with lots of other hunters on public land? What are the unstated rules when dealing with other hunters?

4) How much gear do normal hunters take? I mean, do you carry a backpack full and blind for turkey hunting? For deer hunting, do you lug a stand with backpack and gun? What else would you need to take with you for each of those game?

5) Do most people field dress big game? Or do you take it out? Or can you field dress them on a WMA? If you can't for some reason, how does one get the big game out without an ATV? I don't have a truck once I actually get it out anyways. Am I just out of luck?

6) Does TN require insurance for ATV's?

7) I see the limit on deer is 3. Is that for the whole season?

8) What's the rules for hunting doe? I always thought (or heard) that you can't hunt does. If you can, how does that go toward your quota limit?

9) What kind of optics do you guys carry? Binoculars, rangefinder, spotting scopes? Any recommendations on affordable brands and models?

10) What's a good affordable brand/model scope for each turkey and deer hunting? And for squirrels for that matter.

11) What's the best gauge for turkey hunting? I have a .410 that was passed down to me, but I'm guessing it's probably not good enough. I also have a side by side 12 ga that was passed down to me. But I never see turkey hunters on tv using a side by side.

12) Do you guys use a GPS to find your way in and out of WMA's? If so, what's a good affordable brand/model?

13) What do y'all use for scent reduction? Is it as important as everyone says on tv?

14) Are you permitted to take a handgun on WMA property if licensed to carry?

15) What are your opinions on gun color? Is camo better all around? Or tactical black? I hardly ever see a wood stock on guns on tv. Just wondering why.

I realize this is a lot of information requested. Any answers and advice on ANY of these questions would be appreciated. Hopefully after several experienced hunters peruse this thread I can get an answer to most of these questions. Thanks in advance, and feel free to shoot advice on items not listed above for a newcomer.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very new at hunting in general and have several questions. So take it easy on me guys (been mauled with sarcasm before on other sites when requesting newbie information). Before calling TWRA and asking them, I thought I'd bounce some off of y'all and see what I could find out. I know I could probably search websites for several hours and find some of these answers, but TGO is here... and I thought I'd use it :)

I'm looking for a lot of advice from experienced hunters like those on this board. Personal opinion is great. Facts are even better for my specific questions. I watch a lot of the Outdoor Channel and learn a lot. But knowledge from those who are actually in my area is what I need to be successful and have fun.

I have no personal land for hunting. My father-in-law has about 38 acres that he said I could go check out in a few weeks. So in the meantime, I'm banking on using a WMA for hunting. I'm in Murfreesboro, so I'm guessing the closest WMA is Percy Priest? Is that correct? Anyone here ever hunt there? If so, any advice? I contacted my local NWTF chapter by recommendation of someone on another thread here for information about turkey hunting since that season is fast approaching. I'm hoping to hear back soon from them. But in the meantime:

1) Can you take 4 wheelers on WMA land?

2) Can you take blinds or stands into WMA land? If yes, do you guys utilize these when turkey or deer hunting? Any recommendations on the affordable good ones?

3) Are the WMA areas extremely packed during turkey and deer seasons? How does one negotiate a decent place to hunt with lots of other hunters on public land? What are the unstated rules when dealing with other hunters?

4) How much gear do normal hunters take? I mean, do you carry a backpack full and blind for turkey hunting? For deer hunting, do you lug a stand with backpack and gun? What else would you need to take with you for each of those game?

5) Do most people field dress big game? Or do you take it out? Or can you field dress them on a WMA? If you can't for some reason, how does one get the big game out without an ATV? I don't have a truck once I actually get it out anyways. Am I just out of luck?

6) Does TN require insurance for ATV's?

7) I see the limit on deer is 3. Is that for the whole season?

8) What's the rules for hunting doe? I always thought (or heard) that you can't hunt does. If you can, how does that go toward your quota limit?

9) What kind of optics do you guys carry? Binoculars, rangefinder, spotting scopes? Any recommendations on affordable brands and models?

10) What's a good affordable brand/model scope for each turkey and deer hunting? And for squirrels for that matter.

11) What's the best gauge for turkey hunting? I have a .410 that was passed down to me, but I'm guessing it's probably not good enough. I also have a side by side 12 ga that was passed down to me. But I never see turkey hunters on tv using a side by side.

12) Do you guys use a GPS to find your way in and out of WMA's? If so, what's a good affordable brand/model?

13) What do y'all use for scent reduction? Is it as important as everyone says on tv?

14) Are you permitted to take a handgun on WMA property if licensed to carry?

15) What are your opinions on gun color? Is camo better all around? Or tactical black? I hardly ever see a wood stock on guns on tv. Just wondering why.

I realize this is a lot of information requested. Any answers and advice on ANY of these questions would be appreciated. Hopefully after several experienced hunters peruse this thread I can get an answer to most of these questions. Thanks in advance, and feel free to shoot advice on items not listed above for a newcomer.

1. A few WMA's allow them, most DO NOT. Check the TWRA regs for information on your specific WMA.

2. Blinds and Stands are allowed on WMA's. All your equipment must leave with you at the end of your hunt day. Do not use nails or any other items that will harm trees. Remove all "trail marking" materials at the end of the day. Ckeck TWRA regs for information on your specific WMA.

3. Some WMA's can be very packed at times, and some see very little traffic. When hunting "public" land, read the Thread on here "How to hunt public land". You will learn how to "annouy" other hunters and "not" make friends.

4. When I used to turkey hunt, I traveled "light and fast". No time for a blind. Some people use them though. When I deer hunt (public land) I carry a tree stand with me. I don't carry a "backpack" with me. Everything I need for the hunt I carry in my pocket (folding knife, water bottle, chicken legs, whatever). A deer cart comes in handy here.

5. Field dressing your deer is OK. Drag your deer out or use a deer cart. Do not leave scrotums and deer parts in the bushes or on the ground in and around the parking areas of your WMA. Leave them in the woods or take them with you. DO NOT bring the carcuss back and dump it. Ckeck TWRA regs for your specific WMA.

6. Tennessee does NOT require you to have insurance on your ATV. However, you would be smart to have it covered. Also, ATV's are not "welcomed" by alot of hunters.

7. Some units in TN allow 3 per day. A type 094 license is required in most areas. Check the TWRA regs for your specific WMA.

8. Bow and Muzzleloader seasons allow for does to be taken. Also, see above.

9. I carry a range finder during bow season. None during gun. I have scopes on my rifles that I look at "deer" with just mear seconds before I put their lights out....

10. Any scope that you can afford and is meant to be used on your particuliar rifle or shotgun is fine. Alot of personal choices here....

11. Forget the TV hunting for now. The weapons they use are provided to them free of charge by sponsors. Your 12 guage side by side will work fine unless you want to buy a turkey gun.

12. I only use my Garmin GPS to make stands and sign/trails. Some cell phones has that ability too.

13. I use "scent away" on boots and clothing. Works well. Set up "down wind" of your game, and scent won't be a major factor. I also use "doe in heat" at certain times of the year.

14. Generally yes.

15. Again, forget the TV Hunting. What ever you choose is fine with us. Get what "you want", not what we want. But, here's a few tips. Wood is purty, but needs more care. Synthetics are good as they do not scratch as bad and are weather resistent. Cammo guns are "eye candy". Most deer that you kill does not care what your gun looks like. They'll see you move before they see your gun (unless it's pimped out with gold and silver bling).

I hope this helps you...

Dave

Edited by wd-40

Not much to add...

10) its not the brand, its the warrenty. Find a cheap scope with a lifetime warrenty & decent online reviews, and you will be good to go -- the company has enough faith in the product to claim it will hold up. Few people use a scope on a shotgun (unless shooting slugs?). A .22 for rodents, a 4x or so cheap scope is fine. A deer, I would pay a little more to get a variable power so you can adapt the power to the spot you are sitting at, say 3-7 power for example. I like higher powers, you can get by with less probably if you want.

14 yes. You can hunt with a handgun so during the appropriate season (rifles/open?), unliscened carry is also OK.

All I have is for 15. Deer cannot see color. It could purple and pink with neon green polka dots as far as the deer go. What you want to avoid is reflective surfaces: deer "understand" that a reflective surface moving around in the woods is not natural and if it is not nautural, it is a threat .... that goes for your entire body, no shinys.

I question this answer....

You can carry a handgun in the woods for hunting purposes without an HCP or special stamp. But without a HCP once you get to your vehicle you must unload just like a rifle.

Now I wouldn't carry both a rifle and a handgun without an HCP. But per the original question. yes you can carry even when bow and muzzleloader hunting.

Edited by Lumber_Jack

You are absoluteley correct. However, You must be 21 years of age to hunt with a handgun. A Keltec "pocket pistol" is NOT a hunting handgun. I would Question the "carriers" intent. Proper hunting licenses, appropriate handgun and legal age is all fine.

The OP has not displayed his/her/it's age as of yet. Assume the worse.....

I'm far past age 21, heh. However I wasn't really considering it for carrying to hunt. I was more wanting something as a backup like I carry normally. You never know when you might need something for protection and you can't shoulder your rifle fast enough. That was my intent with that question.

That's all fine. Get yourself geared up and get to the woods. There is a whole new world waiting for you out there!

There are a couple TGO members here from Murfreesboro. If'n it was me, I'd invite them out for coffee and "pick" thier brains!

That's all fine. Get yourself geared up and get to the woods. There is a whole new world waiting for you out there!

There are a couple TGO members here from Murfreesboro. If'n it was me, I'd invite them out for coffee and "pick" thier brains!

Great advice. I found a person who works in the same organization as me who I invited to lunch next week to talk "turkey". If you know of, or if you are, from Murfreesboro and want to get together holler at me. Coffee is on me.

I was curious on how to properly age deer by sight and came across this great video on Bass Pro Shops website:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&template=video.cfm&cat=Hunting&subCatID=10&connectionSpeed=hd&videoID=638&startRow=0&videoType=prodcutdemo&option=2&cmid=OLPHVIDEO_638_HD

It got me to thinking; what is a proper age to harvest a deer? I know in the heat of hunting, people get excited (or frustrated) and sometimes kill a buck that is not yet of harvesting age. But what is the generally accepted age range to harvest?

All good advice so far. I always make two suggestions when someone is new to hunting and is seeking answers: 1. Get a copy of the printed hunting/fishing guide, put it in the john and read it over and over again. 2. Go to the hunter's safety course. If there isn't one offered soon, take the free online course.

Another great thing to do is find the 3 closest WMA/Public hunting areas nearest to you that you. Print out the WMA flyer for each from the TWRA website. Then you can learn the specific rules for the area you plan to hunt. No need to try and learn every rule for every WMA in the state, they just vary too much. Focus on the one you are interested in.

3) Are the WMA areas extremely packed during turkey and deer seasons? How does one negotiate a decent place to hunt with lots of other hunters on public land? What are the unstated rules when dealing with other hunters? - First come first served. That is the way it should work. If you get there first, 3 hours before daylight, then others should move on. This isn't always followed. The upshot is that it's public land and there are plenty of jerks willing to ruin their hunting just to ruin your hunting. However, I have had very few problems with this over the years.

4) How much gear do normal hunters take? I mean, do you carry a backpack full and blind for turkey hunting? For deer hunting, do you lug a stand with backpack and gun? What else would you need to take with you for each of those game? - Too much. I have changed my philosophy on gear. I have gone from trying to carry everything I "could" need or want, to a philosophy of carrying as few things as possible. Do I really need 3 knives on a deer hunt? Do I really need 3 slate calls on a turkey hunt? Do I need a rain coat and a poncho? NO! Go as light as possible, you will enjoy it more. After your first few hunts, reassess the items you are carrying. Leave out what you haven't used.

12) Do you guys use a GPS to find your way in and out of WMA's? If so, what's a good affordable brand/model? - I like them, but I find that after learning my way around an area, I rarely use them. They are handy the first few times in a new WMA, but not required. I use my iPhone mostly.

WD40 gave you good answers. There is good reason he is a SME for the hunting forum. Just don't pay much attention when he gets on a turkey rant. He hasn't been pulled over to the dark side yet...

This forum is a great resource. Lots of experienced hunters to help answer your questions too.

Forgot to add one more thing:

Spring is quickly approaching. Tomorrow is when you need to start scouting for turkey hunting WMAs. Go walk around the woods, look for scratching and feathers, but mostly, just learn the land now before the leaves are on the trees and the underbrush is growing up. You can see further now, you can walk faster, no need to sneak around. Almost no one else is in the woods. To me, knowing the woods and the lay of the land is the best key to success.

Twice this month I have gone on day hikes at Land Between the Lakes. I have seen deer sign and turkey sign on each trip. I wasn't there for the scouting, but it stood out and may be options this spring or fall.

Several have mentioned Hunter Education.

Because you were born after 1969 (per your profile), you need to pay attention to this -

http://www.state.tn....a/huntered.html

You will eventually need to get a hunter education certificate (in addition to license), although a 1-time exception (Type 012) permit is available (good for one season).

Edited by R_Bert

whiskey, awesome input. Thanks a bunch!

Per your answer on negotiating areas with other hunters on WMAs: What is an acceptable range to stay away from others? Example; if someone is setup on the edge of a field or deep in the trees in a stand, should you stay clear of that field entirely, or how far from the other hunter in the trees should you stay away?

I have an iPhone too. I guess I'll try just using the map on there first. I wish someone would write a hunting app with a GPS feature for hunters!

R_Bert, I completed the hunters ed course when I was in 4th grade (then my elementary required it for all of us in 5th grade so I took it again way back then). Ah, back in the day when we could shoot clay targets on the playground after the course completed. You won't see that ever again. I remember an uprising when they told my friends we couldn't bring firearms on school property anymore. They all used to hunt before school and had their rifles hanging in their trucks. Now you get a year's suspension if you have a spent shell in your floorboard.

However after browsing the link you gave me, I noticed that the new course has several areas that we never went over. I think I might go over it a couple of times.

You guys are awesome! Thx a bunch for the info.

whiskey, awesome input. Thanks a bunch!

Per your answer on negotiating areas with other hunters on WMAs: What is an acceptable range to stay away from others? Example; if someone is setup on the edge of a field or deep in the trees in a stand, should you stay clear of that field entirely, or how far from the other hunter in the trees should you stay away?

I have an iPhone too. I guess I'll try just using the map on there first. I wish someone would write a hunting app with a GPS feature for hunters!

R_Bert, I completed the hunters ed course when I was in 4th grade (then my elementary required it for all of us in 5th grade so I took it again way back then). Ah, back in the day when we could shoot clay targets on the playground after the course completed. You won't see that ever again. I remember an uprising when they told my friends we couldn't bring firearms on school property anymore. They all used to hunt before school and had their rifles hanging in their trucks. Now you get a year's suspension if you have a spent shell in your floorboard.

However after browsing the link you gave me, I noticed that the new course has several areas that we never went over. I think I might go over it a couple of times.

You guys are awesome! Thx a bunch for the info.

Stay clear, downwind and out of sight. Nothing worse than sitting in your stand staring at some dude 75 yards away. That would be the perfect time to get your pants soiled....There is no reason in the world to be any closer than two hundred yards or "within sight" of each other. It's makes for a bad day of hunting for both of you.

Edited by wd-40

I was curious on how to properly age deer by sight and came across this great video on Bass Pro Shops website:

http://www.basspro.c...LPHVIDEO_638_HD

It got me to thinking; what is a proper age to harvest a deer? I know in the heat of hunting, people get excited (or frustrated) and sometimes kill a buck that is not yet of harvesting age. But what is the generally accepted age range to harvest?

Just depends,for the most part I like to only shoot does because I prefer them for their meat. I might take a yearling depending on what the freezer looks like. I prefer to take something with a little bit more meat on its bones but try to stay away from a doe in a group that looks exceptionally big as she is probably a little bit older and tougher than the rest. In Tennessee it seems that an 80-100 pound doe eats pretty good and I'm sure a little bigger won't be bad either. I killed a 180 pound doe once and it wasn't hardly fit to eat. As far as bucks go it varies by the individual. I may shoot a scrubby looking buck if it has an ugly rack just to get it out of the gene pool. I usually let bucks walk, I have a nice one on the wall from long ago, and I don't really want to pay to mount another one (That's the price of a nice gun anymore.) Not to say if a buck came out on me and made me drop my jaw I wouldn't take it. It's up to you, if you see a nice 4 pointer that you would feel proud to take I see nothing wrong with taking it, though I prefer to let any nice young buck walk.

Only you can decide what deer to take. Age is "just a thing". Big old bucks look nice on the wall....Small young deer look nice on the dinner plate. We never ever take a little deer with "Aiming Dots" all over it (fawn). We thinned a few smaller bucks off the property this year and let a couple "wall hangers" live. They made it through the rut so we know the big boys got'em a doe or two. We'll remove those bucks next year. Probably save them till the youth hunts. I personaly don't care a thing about big bucks anymore. Little one's are easier for me to get out of the woods.

Just so "Whiskey" is not let down.... I HATE TURKEYS!!!! They are the SCOUR OF THE EARTH!

Too many on the property. Tearing everything up! We'll follow TWRA's theory on hogs to control our over populated turkeys; "Stop hunting them, and they'll go away on their own"......NOT! May have to bring "Whiskey" or some other VERMIN in to chase them off. I dinged up the old lady's Expidition chasing "Dirt Scratchers" out of the food plots. NOT ALLOWED TO DO THAT ANY MORE (old lady's orders).....

Have a great day!

Dave

Edited by wd-40

I like Gaia GPS. It's not hunter specific, but is highly recommended on lots of back country hiking web sites. It has several different topo maps (along with road maps and Google satellite) and allows you to download the map panels for the area you'll be in, so when you lose cell reception, your map still works. The default iPhone Google maps require cell signal to load new panels.

Gaia also lets you set waypoints and mark your truck/trailhead using the GPS of the iPhone instead of the cell signal. It's about $10, IIRC, but worth every penny.

Edited by monkeylizard

I like Gaia GPS. It's not hunter specific, but is highly recommended on lots of back country hiking web sites. It has several different topo maps (along with road maps and Google satellite) and allows you to download the map panels for the area you'll be in, so when you lose cell reception, your map still works. The default iPhone Google maps require cell signal to load new panels.

Gaia also lets you set waypoints and mark your truck/trailhead using the GPS of the iPhone instead of the cell signal. It's about $10, IIRC, but worth every penny.

Thanks! I'll check it out tonight! I just happen to have $13 left on the ole iTunes card :)

Only you can decide what deer to take. Age is "just a thing". Big old bucks look nice on the wall....Small young deer look nice on the dinner plate. We never ever take a little deer with "Aiming Dots" all over it (fawn). We thinned a few smaller bucks off the property this year and let a couple "wall hangers" live. They made it through the rut so we know the big boys got'em a doe or two. We'll remove those bucks next year. Probably save them till the youth hunts. I personaly don't care a thing about big bucks anymore. Little one's are easier for me to get out of the woods.

Have a great day!

Dave

So I guess I was mistaken about there being a strict limit on age harvesting? Not sure where I heard that. Guess it's an old wives tale that got passed down over the decades. I know not to kill the real young ones (that practically look like does), but always heard you're "supposed" to take out the older (I guess meaning 4 1/2+ yr old) bucks first. I'm not hunting for trophies (right now). So it's more important to know this since I'm not going for the rack.

So I guess I was mistaken about there being a strict limit on age harvesting? Not sure where I heard that. Guess it's an old wives tale that got passed down over the decades. I know not to kill the real young ones (that practically look like does), but always heard you're "supposed" to take out the older (I guess meaning 4 1/2+ yr old) bucks first. I'm not hunting for trophies (right now). So it's more important to know this since I'm not going for the rack.

You have to decide what's right for you. I harvested a "spike" this year that had a gray face. He was aged (by teeth) to be about 31/2. He was huge by spike buck standards. I actually shot him while he was mounting a doe.....poor guy......