Romney/Paul Ticket??

Rand Paul not the old man.

Romney has not unleashed his attack machine on Ron Paul and really hasn't said anything negative towards him, plus both of them have run attack ads against the other two, Newt and Rick.

So, is some back room deal in the works?? I do think If Romney does announce Rand as a VP it might give him the edge he needs to push him over the top. It will also stink less to throw the lever for ole Mitt Romoney should he be the pick.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/22/rand-paul-says-it-would-be-an-honor-to-be-considered-as-veep-this-explains-a-lot/

Another debate tonight, we'll see who screws the pooch this time.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Star1021Scott

I think when this Republican debacle is done Big O gets four more. Not gonna get too wound up over the latest theory of the day.

Sadly I agree with you. As for a Romney / Rand Paul ticket, I personally would highly doubt that. If Romey is the nominee I foresee Chris Christie as the VP nominee.

Regardless this field of candidates is less than desirable.

They are way to different to work or even run together. Romney is a liberal democrat with a ® next to his name.

If Paul decided to run as VP with Romney he would loose a lot of his base. I know I am a huge fan of Paul and if he partnered up with Romney I would no longer support him. Unfortunately the GOP has probably removed my ability to vote for who I want for President.

Dolomite

Sadly I agree with you. As for a Romney / Rand Paul ticket, I personally would highly doubt that. If Romey is the nominee I foresee Chris Christie as the VP nominee.

Yow, Prez tepid on guns and a veep that's a real anti. (feels NJ's gun laws "are about right"!)

Two Yankees, I doubt it.

I'd think Rubio would be the pick, IF he'll do it. Would sway the South. Though he's been as adamant sounding as a no as Christie.

Rand Paul might possibly be seen as an asset in the South too.

- OS

Guest Lester Weevils

Having Rand Paul on the ticket might make it somewhat easier to throw the R lever, while simultaneously suppressing on one hand severe nausea and on the other hand any shred of subconscious hope that unexpected random misfortune might propel Rand into the oval office.

Such sentiments may initially seem unseemly but on the other hand such conflicted feelings would be neither unusual or unprecedented. For instance it would be analogous to the secretly conflicted sentiment experienced by countless millions of Joe Biden fans-- The untold millions of fanatic Biden-bots who would otherwise have voted McCain or Chuck Baldwin had Joe Biden been absent from the ticket. Those countless millions of Joe Biden worshippers, subconsciously hoping against hope that Biden might accidentally become president. :)

Consider Bill Clinton--Who could ever pretend that Bill Clinton would have had the slightest chance of victory had Clinton not also enjoyed collateral support from the numberless hordes of voters who literally worshipped the very ground trod upon by Al Gore!

Edited by Lester Weevils

Regardless this field of candidates is less than desirable.

With this group of candidates, obamma can take another vacation to prepare for the election.

Yow, Prez tepid on guns and a veep that's a real anti. (feels NJ's gun laws "are about right"!)

Two Yankees, I doubt it.

I'd think Rubio would be the pick, IF he'll do it. Would sway the South. Though he's been as adamant sounding as a no as Christie.

- OS

I was thinking Rubio too. If Romey pairs up with Christie, ABO becomes much less appealing

I'd hate to see the Senate lose a valuable asset to become a VP. I think Rand

will look at it as that, also. Same for Rubio. Jeb Bush might be a southerner

Romney would be wise to utilize for a southern attraction if, in fact it's Romney.

Gingrich and Santorum still have a dog in this race and I wouldn't count either of them out.

Guest Lester Weevils

From what I've seen, Romney and Ron Paul ganged up on Santorum last night.

There are fundamental conflicts in multiple dimensions. Which could ally the various candidates in different configurations.

Romney appears a big-gov corporatist republican but in spite of the "devout mormon" thang he does not seem hard-tail socially conservative. Romney doesn't seem unusually motivated to use gov as a hammer to force people's personal lives to conform to his own religious ideals.

Ron Paul is a small-gov libertarian republican and would have natural disagreement with Romney on many issues, but RP is also against the gov regulating people's personal lives.

So at the very least RP and Romney can both agree that a hard-tail intolerant moralistic goober like Santorum has no business anywhere near the oval office.

This is not a new dynamic. The moral majority rolex-wearing TV preachers first dove big-time into republican politics during Reagan's ascendancy. Reagan was not traditionally religious and didn't go to church very often, but he embraced the moral majority crowd big-time and they became an important and reliable republican voting bloc. But Reagan and following R leaders didn't really satisfy many moral majority wishes. They just promised the moon, spoke platitudes, and would occasionally attempt to pass doomed-to-failure token legislation to please that bunch.

On the other side of the coin, many folk praise Goldwater as the conservative's conservative, but Goldwater couldn't stand the moral majority bunch, was loudly critical of religion getting involved with politics, and opposed moral majority legislative pushes. IMO "conservative" ain't synonymous with "moralistic prick". People can be as religious or moralistic as they want. No problem as long as they don't use the gov to force it on everybody else. A good conservative who happens to be deeply religious would mind his own business, just like a good conservative who happens to be athiest or agnostic would mind his own business. Leave other people's personal lives alone.

Romney, Gingrich, and Santorum are all big-gov republicans. Possibly Romney isn't quite as "big gov" as Gingrich or Santorum, though he is pretty big gov. They all think that a bunch of real smart republicans can get together and design real smart big gov programs that will fix everything for the dumb commoners in the USA. That is the same game played by progressives. Sign up to a public policy university course load where you dream up giant gov programs that will bring nirvana for the idiot common men. Then become a perfessor and write scholarly papers on the topic. Gingrich was involved in the Alvin Toffler "designing the future" writing scholarly papers, building utopian castles in the sky, from the beginning of his scholarly career.

Gingrich may pretend to be a small-gov guy to try to get elected, but he ain't. Dunno if Gingrich really believes the social conservative carp he spews. Anything is possible. Maybe he is just pretending to be a hard-tail to get the moral majority to vote for him? Then if he gets elected, make speeches filled with moral majority platitudes and make a few failed legislative attempts to mollify the moral majority folks who voted for him? The old Reagan shell game.

I doubt he would, either, OS, but he has been mentioned as one for either slot. That doesn't

mean much, though. Actually it might only be slightly different from an Alexander as VP, which

would make me vomit.

Two Yankees, I doubt it.

- OS

Very much agree here. Personally I suspect Rubio.

That said, there does appear to be something going on between Romney and Paul.