Ideas on making $1000 from $5000?

Guest NYCrulesU

Guest NYCrulesU

After putting aome money aside, giving to church and donating towards a car for someone who needs one....I have $5000 left over from tax returns to do with as I please.

Each day I think of the question, "How can I use my $5000 to make money?" More quick flip than long term investment.

I think expecting a $1000 return on $5000 is very low, not having to break my back and not expecting too much.

Problem is...I am fresh out of ideas.

So...if you had $5000 cash sitting in hand and wanted to flip it to make a $1000 profit, with a 2 week time frame, what would you do?

I have thought of...and the list is far from complete...

Pressure washing

Painting

Car detailing

Landscaping

Stump grinding

Gambling (which I consider pissing $$ away)

Mom & Pop taxi service

And soooo many other ideas...my head hurts.

Guest Lester Weevils

The nice fella who works on my trees, he was telling me about stump grinding. He said the affordable machines that operate kinda like tillers on steroids. He said those will beat you to death. Dunno.

The fella who has ground some of our stumps, haven't the foggiest idea what his grinder costs, and it won't beat you to death operating it. Looks fancy enough that maybe $5000 wouldn't be a down payment. Maybe its cheaper than it looks though. With that guy's equipment, it looks like it could be kinda a fun thing I wouldn't mind doing.

Guest NYCrulesU

The nice fella who works on my trees, he was telling me about stump grinding. He said the affordable machines that operate kinda like tillers on steroids. He said those will beat you to death. Dunno.

The fella who has ground some of our stumps, haven't the foggiest idea what his grinder costs, and it won't beat you to death operating it. Looks fancy enough that maybe $5000 wouldn't be a down payment. Maybe its cheaper than it looks though. With that guy's equipment, it looks like it could be kinda a fun thing I wouldn't mind doing.

Starting small I would lease rhe equipment at first.....would have to build up a decent client list and have word of mouth referrals and some advertising. Still a risk....as is anything. But would be a job I wouldn't mind doing out and doing daily.

I'm also curious to know how to go about legally getting a 20% ROI in two weeks without being a broker.

BTW, if you have that much left over from a tax refund after doing all those other things, it sounds like you need to reevaluate some deductions or something. You are already behind the curve on making money off money.

Edited by Garufa

If you know much about cars and their values, you can usually pick one up if you keep an eye out, clean and detail it, and flip it for a 20% profit pretty quick if you know what you're doing....I don't! One could also likely take 5 grand to a gunshow and come home with 6....again, if you know what you're looking for.

Guest NYCrulesU

I thought about cars. There's a public auction every week near me. Sadly...knowledge of cars are not my strong suit.

My only problem is starting qith such little capital ($5k).

It shocks me sometimes that anyone would think a 20% return is so "absurd".

Think small, be small I say. Who would risk $5000 for $200? That's retarded. Wanting to turn $5000 into $10,000 would be an absurd idea...or a pipedream with failure waiting to happen. But $5k into $6k? Quite reasonable.

I've done it in Jersey and done it in Va....and did those kinds of flips throughout my military career. Tn just seems to be a rare "breed"...so to speak. Unless it's guns, dip or high school football....doesn't seem to be much interest in too many other things.

I thought about building up to open up a "paintball arena" ....someplace the local kids could go and do something constructive...instead of getting knocked up at 13. Wouldn't you know it...local ordinance prohibits gun ranges...to include paintball...in Sparta.

I even considered building and selling cornhole boards...that market is flooded.

Well...enough of my rambling. So to bore you all with my desire to be consteuctive and better myself and make some money. I guess if I cooked meth in my shed, beat my wife, let my kids drop out of school by 5 grade and had a pregnant 12 year old daughter I would be a little more popular and fit in better.

I was making a bit of money by making and selling custom holsters, belts, sheaths, etc. I've actually cut way back on it, as it began to build into something that took up more time than I wanted. The key to it, I think, is that it was something I was interested in.

Perhaps you should return to Jersey since you have such a low opinion of us redneck hicks here in Tennessee.

• Like 1
I was making a bit of money by making and selling custom holsters, belts, sheaths, etc. I've actually cut way back on it, as it began to build into something that took up more time than I wanted. The key to it, I think, is that it was something I was interested in.

Perhaps you should return to Jersey since you have such a low opinion of us redneck hicks here in Tennessee.

+1

Guest NYCrulesU

Just like a damnyankee. If you're going to ask for opinions and obviously all ready know the answers then why bother? Maybe we should all be learning from you.

Couldn't hurt.

Guest NYCrulesU

I'd go for one of those big professional ride behind mowers and start cutting.

I did landscaping for a while as a side job. I also used to install flooring.

I thought about leasing a Skag and trying to pick up a few decent, respectable, accounts...a few local hospitals, couple of apartment complexes, county courthouses....places like that and get back into lawn care. Not looking to do residential...too many want something for nothing.

This is just something to pass the time and make some side cash. Not looking for it to be full time.

Guest NYCrulesU

Create your own version of the bump fire stock and sell them for absurd amounts like the other guys and Get rich :D Hell I might even buy one but it has to look better then the stuff out now

Not even sure what that is. I steer clear of the stock market at all costs. And that sounds a bit "shady". I'm just looking for something to do...and honest days work for an honest days pay. But worth my while.

I made a decent living on the side off of a few ventures in the past, so I know it can be done. I just want to do something different...challenging.

Not even sure what that is. I steer clear of the stock market at all costs. And that sounds a bit "shady". I'm just looking for something to do...and honest days work for an honest days pay. But worth my while.

I made a decent living on the side off of a few ventures in the past, so I know it can be done. I just want to do something different...challenging.

I like the Bumpski Best for the ak

Now get some Metal and a welder preferable Light weight metal build some of these with better grips like Hogue or somethin and sell them for like 160.00 a peice hell id buy won for 150 if it wasnt to heavy had a decent grip and worked right so I know others would buy it.

IMG_4944.jpg

Edited by plank white

Golf carts. My friend buys them, fixes them, and customizes them. He does not do the stereo work in them but has worked out a deal with a local radio shop to do all of his work for a cheaper price if he gives them all of the golf carts to sell. However he lives close to many golf courses/country clubs and close to a lake. Literally the guy makes a killing. He quit his regular job (BMW Master Technician) to start doing this full time.

Edited by ls3_kid

A coworker recently sold his fancy ($10k) stump grinder. It was the kind you ride on with hydrostatic steerable wheels and cutting head. He did a couple stumps for me and that machine is a monster... ground two 28" dia stumps to dust in 10 minutes. He quit the business because he wasn't making any money. Fuel to haul it, run it, and maintenance ($300 for a set of teeth) were too high.

Well...enough of my rambling. So to bore you all with my desire to be consteuctive and better myself and make some money. I guess if I cooked meth in my shed, beat my wife, let my kids drop out of school by 5 grade and had a pregnant 12 year old daughter I would be a little more popular and fit in better.

Just the attitude I would expect from someone from Jersey.

Had a few ideas for you till I read this. Good luck my friend.

I thought about cars. There's a public auction every week near me. Sadly...knowledge of cars are not my strong suit.

My only problem is starting qith such little capital ($5k).

It shocks me sometimes that anyone would think a 20% return is so "absurd".

Think small, be small I say. Who would risk $5000 for $200? That's retarded. Wanting to turn $5000 into $10,000 would be an absurd idea...or a pipedream with failure waiting to happen. But $5k into $6k? Quite reasonable.

I've done it in Jersey and done it in Va....and did those kinds of flips throughout my military career. Tn just seems to be a rare "breed"...so to speak. Unless it's guns, dip or high school football....doesn't seem to be much interest in too many other things.

I thought about building up to open up a "paintball arena" ....someplace the local kids could go and do something constructive...instead of getting knocked up at 13. Wouldn't you know it...local ordinance prohibits gun ranges...to include paintball...in Sparta.

I even considered building and selling cornhole boards...that market is flooded.

Have you ever thought of not being an arrogant jerk and insulting those you ask for help? You're just as bad as any racist out there. Good luck finding help from anyone who reads this.

And for the record I was neither born nor raised in Tennessee but I have lived here long enough to know that your characterization of Tennesseans is as off base as many people's characterizations of New Yorkers, present company excluded of course.

Guest Lester Weevils

A coworker recently sold his fancy ($10k) stump grinder. It was the kind you ride on with hydrostatic steerable wheels and cutting head. He did a couple stumps for me and that machine is a monster... ground two 28" dia stumps to dust in 10 minutes. He quit the business because he wasn't making any money. Fuel to haul it, run it, and maintenance ($300 for a set of teeth) were too high.

Thanks peejman

Yep, bet maintenance, fuel and consumables could get out of hand quick.

Awhile ago googled grinders and saw different designs, but didn't find the one this local guy uses. It is built like a tiny caterpillar tractor and runs on tracks. I guess it would be big enough to ride, but it is operated by walking along "in the vicinity" and controlling it with an heavy-duty wired remote control, like a game controller on steroids. Reminiscent of a military robot vehicle or whatever, with a hydraulic-controlled robot arm which has at least three degrees of motion to control the grinder wheel.

The arm could extend forward and back, up and down, and sweep side to side. He would walk along beside it till he got to a stump, then place the robot arm grinder over the stump and sweep back and forth, forward and back, lowering a little on each sweep, just chopping the snot out of a stump. Grind it a foot or two under the dirt level, finally leaving a soft spot with a mix of dirt and sawdust.

I don't get out much and am easily impressed. Most likely am describing the common-place, but it was neat to watch. Anything could get old, but it looks like the gadget would be fun to run for a few days anyway.

Should have asked the fella how much that thing costs. Maybe cheaper than I'd imagine, but something made of heavy steel, tracks and hydraulics and wired remote-- Maybe there is a big market and the factory achieves price advantage of scale, but I was at a loss even wildly guessing what such a gadget might cost to manufacture and market. You couldn't exactly manufacture em in yer garage. One would expect some serious capital and personnel investment before the first one rolls off the line.

Guest NYCrulesU

FYI, 20% ROIC is not normal or expected even in the garden state. What a joke.

Like I said....think small, be small.

I just purchased a baseball card collection from a guy on Craiglist Nashville. Spent yesterday looking it over and bought the entire collection for $6000 cash.

-Complete Topps sets from 1969-2008.

- 1957-1969 Topps Micky Mantle's (all of them in beautiful condition)

- 1959-1963 Topps Stan Musial

- 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan rc x3

- 1967 Topps Tom Seaver rc x2

- 1967 Topps Rod Carew rc

- 1963 Topps Pete Rose rc x3

And so many more it would take me hours to list them. It's going to take days to sort through what's left.

Today....less than 24 hrs later....I sold all of the complete sets for $9000.

And still have all of the single cards to either have graded or piece out as they are.

So....yea.....don't tell me that 20% ROI is ridiculous. Clearly some of you have no business sense outside of vending machines or plumbing.

I just cleared $3000 cash in one day. Do these kind of deals come around often? No. But this is my 4th or 5th HUGE deal in the past 10 years. They do happen. Some luck in finding the right seller is involved and the rest is knowing what you are doing.

For a $6000 investment, I should clear a $12,000 profit with a total time of 2-3 months invested in leg work, Ebay listing etc

Funny, how when you a tually expand your knowledge past dip, HS football and fixin' stuff. Yuns can learn a thing or two about making money. Now I can't wait for the Sparta gun show to roll around. I have more disposable income than I thought I'd have.Time for 2 SW M&P AR15 Sports and a few thousand rounds of ammo.

And any of you wanna call BS? Go right ahead. I have pictures of a good portion of the collection ready and waiting just for that occassion. ;)