Prices on Armslist ? Anybody else thinking the same?

plank white

Ive noticed alot of guns pop up latley that are used and still priced at atleast 100.00 more than what any gunshop would charge the only reason I even mention this is because it seems Like the only people who would buy them are people who "cant" for whatever reason buy them at a gunshop.

Just got my wheels spinning Ive been on for the last few days looking for a good deal on an old beat up ak 74 or 47 and I see wasr's showing up for 600 to 700 when you can buy those things new for 450 to 500. Im not knocking the sellers maybe the have an emotional attachment or something who knows. It just seems a little shady.

I also ran across a deal where a guy wanted to trade an Ar for one of my AK's but he was in Kentucky and so I posted here asking what I would need to do to legally trade him. Well you guys told me what would need to be done so I sent him an email telling him we would need to go thru an FFL "any FFL he wanted " and never recieved any email back . Before though he had been emailing me non stop makes me think it was either someone trying to trick me into doing something illeagal or that the Gun he has may have been stolen either way Ive done some swaps and buys on Armslist but here lately there seems to be a lot of shadyness going on . ....Maybe my imagination is just getting the better of me though.

Edited by plank white
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe, but unless there's actually proof of wrong doing, it's really no one's business and digging into it would be baiting, entrapment, or an invasion of privacy.

I here ya I really do feel like I was being baited on that whole AR thing though I guess as with everything else in Life you just gotta watch your self

This is true, if and when you ever feel unsure.........walk away. It isn't your soulmate or your sisters honor, there's millions of them. I've seen a few deals on Craigslist, cleverly disguised. After a round or two of e-mails, trash, delete, and block user. There are all manner of predators out there. Constant vigilance is your best weapon.

maybe not so much baited as "If you won't tell I won't tell" thing. You gotta know that there's probably a bunch of illegal swaps going on all the time.

I can't see its worth it myself. I like my sleep at night myself.

Amen to that If is was wanting to go illegal I wouldnt be looking for a SEmi auto :P But yeah I stay well within the Law and just try to watch out for scams and shadyness

I've sold a couple of guns on Armslist and my experience has been positive overall. I did have a guy contact me last week on a gun I had for sale saying he would buy the gun, but was not going to provide any sort of government issued ID. He went on to say he has a problem with our government, and he does not think they have the right to require him to have any sort of ID. He may be a good guy, but I chose to pass on selling to him. I figured Homeland Security has him on their radar already and the last thing I need was to get all mixed up in something like that...

I've sold a couple of guns on Armslist and my experience has been positive overall. I did have a guy contact me last week on a gun I had for sale saying he would buy the gun, but was not going to provide any sort of government issued ID. He went on to say he has a problem with our government, and he does not think they have the right to require him to have any sort of ID. He may be a good guy, but I chose to pass on selling to him. I figured Homeland Security has him on their radar already and the last thing I need was to get all mixed up in something like that...

Probably a good decision on your part. He may have been ATF or Brady plant to get you to commit a felony. Something is fishy if he won't provide ID.

I had a guy that lived in nyc try to buy a glock i had for sale here on tgo a year or so ago offered an extra $200 if id ship it to brooklyn or meet him in pennsylvania. Im convinced it was entrapment by some gov agency. Needless to say i walked away but it happens on all firearms classified sites

As far as prices they are just like anywhere else, some high and some low. I have a friend who bought a HK-22 with 3 magazines, a tactical soft case for $450 and that included delivery from Nashville to Knoxville. To me that is a deal. I also missed out on a rolling block chambered in 38/357 for $250 when by all accounts the going price is near twice that. Same friend who bough the HK-22 also bought two HK USP's for $400 each including quite a few extra magazines. Hardly over priced.

Deals can be had but you need to stay on top of it and check daily to find deals. Same as with pawn shops. Most times the pawn shop prices are in line with most other gun shops but on occassion they get something in they know nothing about and price them for a fraction of their real value. I passed on a Savage left handed 25-06 for $239 OUT THE DOOR. I routinely see skeet shotguns for about 1/2 what they would sell for in a regular shop. To most pawn shops a shotgun is a shotgun and price them accordingly. I see nice 870's for $150-$175 and well used but still good ones for ~$125. Some of the most over priced shotguns in pawn shops are the single shots and it seems universal regarding all the shops I frequent. Regardless of gauge they are almost always priced over $125 even if they are beat up.

Even on here there are deals nearly every day, you just need to be looking at the right time. Like the $500 Olympic Arms AR that sold this week. Or the $100 Remington 742 I bought a few months ago. It is just a matter of seeing and responding to it first.

If you want deals, regardless of where you are looking, you have to look regularly. You can't pop in every week and expect that super deal to be waiting on you. You have to find it and make the deal before anyone else can.

Dolomite

Yeah I wouldn't single out Armslist, it happens everywhere. And on stes like that I always price my items over because no one like to say "I'll take it" but rather "will you take $xxx".

I run into that here some too, but not as much. if its priced right here, it will sell eventually.

Ive noticed alot of guns pop up latley that are used and still priced at atleast 100.00 more than what any gunshop would charge the only reason I even mention this is because it seems Like the only people who would buy them are people who "cant" for whatever reason buy them at a gunshop.

Just got my wheels spinning Ive been on for the last few days looking for a good deal on an old beat up ak 74 or 47 and I see wasr's showing up for 600 to 700 when you can buy those things new for 450 to 500. Im not knocking the sellers maybe the have an emotional attachment or something who knows. It just seems a little shady.

I also ran across a deal where a guy wanted to trade an Ar for one of my AK's but he was in Kentucky and so I posted here asking what I would need to do to legally trade him. Well you guys told me what would need to be done so I sent him an email telling him we would need to go thru an FFL "any FFL he wanted " and never recieved any email back . Before though he had been emailing me non stop makes me think it was either someone trying to trick me into doing something illeagal or that the Gun he has may have been stolen either way Ive done some swaps and buys on Armslist but here lately there seems to be a lot of shadyness going on . ....Maybe my imagination is just getting the better of me though.

I don't think there is anything fishy about the guy not wanting to mess with a FFL transfer. It cost more money, you have to deal with shipping to the FFL and you have to deal with the FFL (getting ahold of them, telling them the package is coming and trying to find out if it has arrived) Not everyone is friends with there gun shops and some guns shops are a pain if your not buying from them.

But this is why I buy guns from only Tennessee private sellers.

This is true, if and when you ever feel unsure.........walk away. It isn't your soulmate or your sisters honor, there's millions of them. I've seen a few deals on Craigslist, cleverly disguised. After a round or two of e-mails, trash, delete, and block user. There are all manner of predators out there. Constant vigilance is your best weapon.

Very good comment, which can be applied to just more than buying and selling firearms. Good advise for any kind of trading where you don't know the other person.Don't let those dollar signs over ride your instincts.