hero 1911

Guest Brianf88

Guest Brianf88

I've searched some buys on here they look awesome. How is the quality compared to Nighthawk or Wilson or are they more in the realm of the TRp anyone have long term use information and please no speculations I.E I heard this. I love the nighthawk and I want to order it now. But for some reason the fiance says we have to get married before I buy another gun geez some people;). So I will buy next year. But I would like to buy locally if it is same quality. Thanks,

Brian

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Plainsman

Im looking into the purchase of a "high end" 1911 myself and have considered the Hero 1911. I couldnt find much info on them from the standpoint of the end user. Maybe some folks will chime in with some experience with their builds who have actually put it through the paces.

They're ramping up their 1911 builds again after a short break. Although I'm nowhere near an expert on 1911s, I do own a fine example of Jeff's work and, in my humble opinion, think the workmanship and quality is equal to or surpasses Wilson standards (I haven't compared the Hero 1911 to a Nighthawk). My Hero 1911 was built with a Caspian frame and slide, Kart barrel, Wilson Combat bobtail and Cylinder and Slide internals. All parts were hand fitted to very exacting standards. There is absolutely no frame to slide wobble or rattle (while a Wilson in the shop sounds like a castanet). It originally came with Alumigrips that I have replaced with VZ Grips. The new batch of Hero 1911s come with VZ Grips. Since these are fully custom pistols, you can spec it any way you want and Jeff's going to work to make it your dream gun.

They currently have four finished Hero 1911s on display and I'd recommend going by and doing a side-by-side comparison to the Wilson, Kimbers and Springfields they have in stock.

(Full disclosure: I hang out at the shop rather frequently but I am not an employee of Hero-Gear)

Guest Plainsman

They're ramping up their 1911 builds again after a short break. Although I'm nowhere near an expert on 1911s, I do own a fine example of Jeff's work and, in my humble opinion, think Overview workmanship and quality is equal to or surpasses Wilson standards (I haven't compared the Hero 1911 to a Nighthawk). My Hero 1911 was built with a Caspian frame and slide, Kart barrel, Wilson Combat bobtail and Cylinder and Slide internals. All parts were hand fitted to very exacting standards. There is absolutely no frame to slide wobble or rattle (while a Wilson in the shop sounds like a castanet). It originally came with Alumigrips that I have replaced with VZ Grips. The new batch of Hero 1911s come with VZ Grips. Since these are fully custom pistols, you can spec it any way you want and Jeff's going to work to make it your dream gun.

They currently have four finished Hero 1911s on display and I'd recommend going by and doing a side-by-side comparison to the Wilson, Kimbers and Springfields they have in stock.

(Full disclosure: I hang out at the shop rather frequently but I am not an employee of Hero-Gear)

I know they are pretty! How does it run??

Guest Plainsman

Runs like a dream. Eats anything I feed it. No issues to report.

I know Jeff stands behind his product and, if you do have an issue with one, I'm sure he'll make it right.

I would have some initial questions as to their "warranty", but I'd imagine that if any problems arose, they would take care of it promptly and "on the house". In my opinion, when I spend that much on my 1911, I'd expect some great customer service to stand behind it. You get that with other high end brands, so I'm sure they would compete. I do favor the fact that I would be supporting a local shop and could simply drive over to the shop and speak to the man who built it directly and in person.

Although I would hope to keep the gun in my possession to pass onto my son, I am a bit concerned as to the resale value of a brand that most have never heard of before. On the other hand, if they get big, you could have one of the first few built! They all start somewhere!

Guest Plainsman

Sorry, I don't have Nighthawk to compare it to.

I'll have to check on the engraving.

I haven't heard anything about any engraving work on these. Only thing I've seen is the option for the damascus slide.

• Admin Team

I've got the first one they sold to the public. Picked it up the day of the great flood back in 2010. Jeff does great work, and you get a truly custom gun at a great price.

I've got a couple thousand rounds through my commander-sized bobtail with no issues whatsoever. It shoots at least as well as any of the high end 1911s I've owned or shot.

If you're going to sell it later, I'd probably buy the Wilson or Nighthawk. If you're going to shoot it, enjoy it and pass it down, I'd go with the hero.

Edited by MacGyver
  • 10 months later...
Guest NashVegasKid

If you want a $3000 to $3500 custom gun for much less than the "famous" builders can do it for (and in a MUCH shorter period of time), The Hero-1911 is an awesome weapon. Mine is a work of art and far more accurate than I am capable of making it perform.  Jeff Mesiter is a master gunsmith and a true gentleman. 'Nuf said.