Traveling out of the state with HCP

Guest Coolboarder8913

Guest Coolboarder8913

I am new to the carry world and was told I have to inform each state I will be traveling through that I will be passing through with a carry permit. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no requirement to inform each state ahead of time (at least as far as I know). Check to make sure each state you enter has a reciprocal agreement with TN. You can do this by checking the TN website http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.shtml and the visiting state's website. Each state has different laws and you have to abide the particular state that you are in. For example, just because TN does not require you to inform an officer if pulled over, the other state might (Ohio).

There are a couple of sites that have each state's particulars listed, but verify their info for accuracy yourself.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

http://opencarry.org/maps.html

Guest bkelm18

There is no requirement to inform each state ahead of time (at least as far as I know). Check to make sure each state you enter has a reciprocal agreement with TN. You can do this by checking the TN website http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.shtml and the visiting state's website. Each state has different laws and you have to abide the particular state that you are in. For example, just because TN does not require you to inform an officer if pulled over, the other state might (Ohio).

There are a couple of sites that have each state's particulars listed, but verify their info for accuracy yourself.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

http://opencarry.org/maps.html

There does not need to be a reciprocity agreement between the states for you to carry there. All you need to make sure is that the state acknowledges the Tennessee permit. Go to handgunlaw.us to see which states recognizes our permit. Then read up on those states' firearm laws to see what is required and what is not. Really simple. But to answer the original question you do not need to inform them that you will be traveling with a firearm. If the state you're traveling to or through does not recognize our permit, simply travel with it like you would have done prior to getting your permit: ammo and gun as separate as possible.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest Grubbah

In my HCP class I was told I could travel through states like ill, and such with my firearm as long as I am not staying in the state. But then others told me that there might be stipulations, the nra site has a good page explaining nationwide laws

Its my understanding that when traveling in states like il that do not recognise the TN license, you have to abide by their laws for transporting the weapon (just like you would here prior to getting your HCP). Meaning, unloaded, in its case, not readily accessible, and separate from ammo.

Its my understanding that when traveling in states like il that do not recognise the TN license, you have to abide by their laws for transporting the weapon (just like you would here prior to getting your HCP). Meaning, unloaded, in its case, not readily accessible, and separate from ammo.

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 926A Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Firearm Owners Protection Act, 1986

I am new to the carry world and was told I have to inform each state I will be traveling through that I will be passing through with a carry permit. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

'Tain't so. I've been carrying for 11 years, have been to California, Michigan, WV, Florida, never was required to notify anyone of anything.

Guest bkelm18

Be mindful that when carrying in states that do have reciprocity with TN, you must abide by their carry restrictions. Also, a good idea to have print outs of the reciprocity agreements with you, because more than a few LEO's may not be aware of them.

You have to abide by their laws regardless.

Be mindful that when carrying in states that do have reciprocity with TN, you must abide by their carry restrictions. Also, a good idea to have print outs of the reciprocity agreements with you, because more than a few LEO's may not be aware of them.

Reciprocity doesn't matter in the least as far a being able to carry in another state, only whether the state recognizes TN permit.

Only about half the states in which you can carry with a TN permit have actual reciprocity agreement with TN.

- OS

"You have to abide by their laws regardless."

Of course.....merely pointing out to OP who is brand new to concealed carry that the laws he recently learned pertaining to carrying here don't necessarily apply elsewhere, and to do his homework beforehand. And yes, there are many state who recognize TN permits without a formal reciprocity agreeement.

I usually check the other states laws before traveling, as changes may have been made since previous trips.

I usually check the other states laws before traveling, as changes may have been made since previous trips.

Yep...always a good idea. There is an update page on handgunlaw.us You can enter your email and you will get a message everytime info is updated.