FTE

Guest RangeDS

Guest RangeDS

Now with +1000 round through my XD sub I've had a few (four) FTE. Most of the rounds are store bought reloads (couple of different brands) for purposes of shooting at the indoor range.

For a while I've thought that's unacceptable and have the expectation it should never happen. Then I heard someone wisely overstate the obvious by saying that its man-made. Referring to the gun. And thus it's bound to not work correctly at some point. I think I agree. However, what about the ammo? ...it too, being man-made is going to fail.

So is it the guns fault or the ammo? I tend to think probably the ammo because the gun is much more a constant shot to shot. Other than ware, its the same.

Curious to know your experience and would like your perspective on what to expect....FTE and FTF per 1,000 rounds.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically, I would think its the ammo. Depends a lot on what you're shooting out of it and whether or not you visually inspect each round. I used to have a Glock and I had several stove pipes (maybe 10) over the course of about 1000 rounds. Pissed me off everytime because its a "glock." It wasn't because the gun wasn't "cleaned." I damn nearly sterilize my guns after I shoot them and use either Rem Oil and/or grease. It can also be a number of other things such as limpwristing, over/under oiled, types of ammo, etc.

probably can find much more detail and info over at XDTalk. to provide better insight, we could use some more info from you.

I have an XD9 Service with about 600~700 rounds through it. Only 2 FTejects. that happened during the first 200 rounds and due to my limp-wristing.

I never use reloads, but from what I have read, that would probably be the first source for the failure. Could be any number of other things?

Guest drewmsmith

99.6% chance of a gun working properly is pretty good. With that said, I've had 0 failures or malfunctions with my CZ after around 1500 rounds or more.

Its most likely the ammo. If it were the gun, you would see it happen more often. Its hard to imagine a gun defect where it randomly jams less than 1/2 of 1% of the time. Its easy to imagine that 1/2 of 1% of someone else's (CHEAP PLINKER) reloaded ammo had a 3/4 powder charge error or something.

Edited by Jonnin

I would try to replicate it with the ammo used that day, and then again with store bought Winchester, Federal, etc. if you can narrow it down to the ammo, you've solved the problem. If the ammo isn't loaded to the right specs, it may be short cycling, not allowing the shell enough time to clear the slide.

Now with +1000 round through my XD sub I've had a few (four) FTE. Most of the rounds are store bought reloads (couple of different brands) for purposes of shooting at the indoor range.

For a while I've thought that's unacceptable and have the expectation it should never happen. Then I heard someone wisely overstate the obvious by saying that its man-made. Referring to the gun. And thus it's bound to not work correctly at some point. I think I agree. However, what about the ammo? ...it too, being man-made is going to fail.

So is it the guns fault or the ammo? I tend to think probably the ammo because the gun is much more a constant shot to shot. Other than ware, its the same.

Curious to know your experience and would like your perspective on what to expect....FTE and FTF per 1,000 rounds.

The only FTEs in any of my pistols have happened while using reloads I've purchased. Factory and personnal reloads have been reliable. Since I stopped purchasing reloaded ammo I've had no failures.

Edited by tnhawk