Internal Laser Signts for Glock?

RobertNashville

Hello folks,

Anyone here have personal experience with an internal laser sight for their glock handgun?

I'm considering goign this route for my carry gun since it doesn'e reauire a different holster option but I'm wondering about problems (proper cycling of the firearm, etc).

Any personal experience, info or even informerd opions welcome. :)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I have no first hand experience with the guide rod lasers, I have been told that after 100-200 rounds, the carbon buildup on the lens can effect the focus of the dot. Could be an intarwebz rumour, but seeing what the end of my stock guide rod looks like after a range session, I can see how it could happen.

Mac

While I have no first hand experience with the guide rod lasers, I have been told that after 100-200 rounds, the carbon buildup on the lens can effect the focus of the dot. Could be an intarwebz rumour, but seeing what the end of my stock guide rod looks like after a range session, I can see how it could happen.

Mac

I wonder, wouldn't normal cleaning take care of that or would cleaning such a laser require something special?

I suppose what I'm looking for is a supplement to my aging eyes :) it doesn't have to be an internal laser or any type of laser for that matter; just looking for some "help" with fast target acauisition. I keep a weapon mounted light with a laser on two of my Glocks when neither is in a holster but of course; that doesn't work when I'm carrying...maybe I just need to buy yet another holster that will accept my WML & L combo.

Maybe I need to just do the CT Lasergrips for my Glock 31...not exactly what I was looking for but I think they would do the job without the potential downfalls!

Edited by RobertNashville

I used one (still have a brand spakin new one in the ole gun box...$300 bucks well spent, eh) in one of my XDs a few years ago. It worked well with zero problems with gun reliability.

The laser itself, though, needs attention to retain reliability.

Oil and crud can work its way into the battery compartment. If you do not keep the batteries and battery compartment clean, the laser can fail. This is easily avoided by using grease instead of oil in the gun as grease doesn't travel.

As mentioned above, carbon can accumulate on the lens and cause the laser to become difficult to see. The buildup can be easily wiped off with your shirttail, though.

I wonder, wouldn't normal cleaning take care of that or would cleaning such a laser require something special?

I suppose what I'm looking for is a supplement to my aging eyes :) it doesn't have to be an internal laser or any type of laser for that matter; just looking for some "help" with fast target acauisition. I keep a weapon mounted light with a laser on two of my Glocks when neither is in a holster but of course; that doesn't work when I'm carrying...maybe I just need to buy yet another holster that will accept my WML & L combo.

Maybe I need to just do the CT Lasergrips for my Glock 31...not exactly what I was looking for but I think they would do the job without the potential downfalls!

Decent cleaning and maintenance should keep it from happening, I should think.

I bought a used 1911 with laser grips. When you depressed the button, the pattern looked like one of those "square bar code patterns" you scan with your cell phone. Took a couple of hours of cleaning with a toothpick, Q-tip, Windex, Hoppes, and basically anything I could find. Come to find out, whoever owned it in the past somehow got gun oil on the lens, and it took FOREVER to get it off instead of just smudging it from one spot to the other. I can only assume the lens on the guide rod would be similar to the lens on the CT grips.

A little care goes a long way.

Mac

Edited by McAllyn

My Dept. recently installed the Lasermax guide rod laser in our Glock 22s. Haven't heard of any issues yet.

I had one in a Glock 22 I had a few yrs ago. Worked OK as long as you don't use a nylon holster. It kept

pushing the switch ON & running down the battery. I used the nylon holster between the var seat & console.

A good leather or kydex holster will fix that issue.

Go for it.

I had a Lasermax in a Glock 32. I had it for about 4 years but fire less than a box of rounds with it in. It worked good without any problems. I didn't target practice much with it because .357 sig rounds are hard on factory springs and didn't want to wear the lasermax spring out. I kept it in for home defense for fast acquisition under stress, especially at night when sights are harder to see. Plus, having a laser on an intruder might make them second guess and attack. If it's used as intended for, self defense, and not just to target shoot without having to aim down the sights than IMO it's worth it. Plus it is kinda bad azz having a laser beam coming out of the front of your pistol!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks,

I just though I'd pop back in and let you know that after giving it some thought I decided to put on a set of CT Laser Grips. I pick them up Friday afternoon and installed them Friday night.

I haven't had a chance to get the gun to the range with them but so far, I like them. My only complaint, and it's a small one, is that I'll have to alter my finger placement slightly when I rack the slide because before now, I'd let my fingers sort of wrap around the slide...doing that now doesn't work as the laser is in the way of my fingers! However, it's nothing a little repetition won't cure.