IDPA gun choice

Guest celtic

I'm looking to get into IDPA and would like to here from the competitive shooters here....

I have a G19, G26, XDM .40, and PPS 9MM. I know it makes sense to use my primary carry gun (PPS), but I feel like I can best perform with my G19.

Also, can i modify the disconnect and trigger spring and still shoot in the SSP category?

Thanks for any input!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like I can best perform with my G19.

Also, can i modify the disconnect and trigger spring and still shoot in the SSP category?

Thanks for any input!

Answered your own question. Use what you can shoot better with! In IDPA you will see a lot of people use G34, none of them carry this gun(I do know of one person that does carry a G34). It is a game, treat it like that. Very rarely do people shoot what they carry(sorry to lump all IDPA shooters because there are those that do shoot what they carry). Have fun but most important, be safe!

Start with your second question. For Stock Service Pistol, from the rule book;

4. Internal action work may be used to enhance trigger pull as

long as safety is maintained (no visible external modifications

allowed).

No monkeying around with trigger disconnects. All safety features should be working.

There are people who want to use what they carry. And there are people who want to play the game. You will have to pick on which to be.

G19 will be fine. 20 yards is the most we usually shoot. Although on occasion targets out to 35 yards are found. Just ask Hognut.LOL! You might want a G17 or G34 for the longer barrel.

Just starting off--have fun and be safe. Shoot whatever pistol you want.(M&P is the best :2cents: )

Where about are you located?

Edited by Mechanic_X

Start with your second question. For Stock Service Pistol, from the rule book;

4. Internal action work may be used to enhance trigger pull as

long as safety is maintained (no visible external modifications

allowed).

No monkeying around with trigger disconnects. All safety features should be working.

There are people who want to use what they carry. And there are people who want to play the game. You will have to pick on which to be.

G19 will be fine. 20 yards is the most we usually shoot. Although on occasion targets out to 35 yards are found. Just ask Hognut.LOL! You might want a G17 or G34 for the longer barrel.

Just starting off--have fun and be safe. Shoot whatever pistol you want.(M&P is the best :2cents: )

Where about are you located?

I'm in Clarksville. I talked to Hognut about MCTS, but dickson is just too far of a drive unfortunately. I'm going to give rattlesnake ridge a shot, it's a bit closer for me. Thanks for your advice, I do forsee myself grabbing a 17 or 34 in the future!

I'm going to give rattlesnake ridge a shot, it's a bit closer for me.

We have many people from Clarksville that attend. People from KY and AL come to the matches. Good luck with Rattlesnake Ridge. I have been there once. I have shot many other clubs local events. I think you will be sadden if you want to be a better shooter by not giving MCTS an opportunity.

I am new to the IDPA. There are some great people involved with it, and it is fun just being around a bunch of like-minded folks. I don't pretend to think I'm going to be the next great shooter; but I do it to improve my 'personal best'. Don't worry about others, just try and do your best with which ever gun you choose to shoot on that day and have a good time. If you really get bit by the bug, then more power to you.

Edited by chances R

I am new to the IDPA. There are some great people involved with it, and it is fun just being around a bunch of like-minded folks. I don't pretend to think I'm going to be the next great shooter; but I do it to improve my 'personal best'. Don't worry about others, just try and do your best with which ever gun you choose to shot on that day and have a good time. If you really get bit by the bug, then more power to you.

CR hit it on the head. I've only done one IDPA and once my first time jitters settled down, I focused on my shooting and stopped worrying about how bad I sucked compared to everyone else. More importantly, NO ONE CARES - the "old timers" know who is new - they want you to have fun and come back out!!!