Doomsday preppers false sense of security

A couple of questions on your plan.

Do you own the land you are planning to hunt?

Are you already living on that land?

Reason I ask is there are plenty of people who plan on bugging out and I wonder where. Most of them say they plan to head to the hills which is a huge problem because there are already people in those hills. And those people are going to defend their location or at least I know I will. And don't expect others to openly welcome a large group of people. I know I won;t welcome anyone unless they bring a significant skill to the group and honestly I can't imagine what that skill might be that isn't already covered.

It takes a lot of land to support a person year around. An acre or two isn't going to cut it. It will likely take 10's of acres per person.

Dolomite

That's a good point on people already located where many talk of going. I know a few guys who's whole plan is to try and jump in with others who are more prepared and they really don't have anything to bring to the table.

A couple of questions on your plan.

Do you own the land you are planning to hunt?

Are you already living on that land?

Reason I ask is there are plenty of people who plan on bugging out and I wonder where. Most of them say they plan to head to the hills which is a huge problem because there are already people in those hills. And those people are going to defend their location or at least I know I will. And don't expect others to openly welcome a large group of people. I know I won;t welcome anyone unless they bring a significant skill to the group and honestly I can't imagine what that skill might be that isn't already covered.

It takes a lot of land to support a person year around. An acre or two isn't going to cut it. It will likely take 10's of acres per person.

Dolomite

Well, I have a couple plans. My wife and I live right next to Smoky Mountain National Park. It is literally right outside our front door. So, that land is not owned by anyone other than the government and it is a pretty big place. Also, I definitely do not plan on intruding on other peoples domains unless I am invited. If someone tells me not to be on their land I will have no issues leaving. You're right, many folks will band together and not allow outsiders. That is fine too. I wouldn't want useless people in my group either because all they do is consume resources and drag the group down. The area I live in is a pretty tight community out in the country, so the whole group thing shouldn't be an issue. Also, I believe I have plenty to bring to the table. I can hunt, fish, and build things out of just about anything. I am also an engineer, so I tend to figure things out quickly. I also spent 10 years in the military in various units where I learned survival, advanced medical skills, and how to neutralize threats. I don't know of too many regular folks out there that have had the same training that I have had over the years.

If it does hit the fan and we see it coming soon enough we will likely head back out to southern Missouri where our folks live. They have plenty of land and we also know every farmer in the area extremely well. They are very close family friends. My wife's family also owns a very large farm. Game is plentyful and the people population isn't near as high as it is here close to the east coast. That means more food for less people and a smaller chance of confrontation. I have stored enough gasoline to get us out there and we can pack up our supplies too. Which, like I said, if we see it coming we'll still be able to fill up on the way anyway and save the gas we have on hand. Our routes are already preplanned to avoid Nashville, which is the only major city on the route. If we can get home we will definitely be doing that instead of staying here in east Tennessee. We have a plan for here, but I have the feeling that I'm not the only person with Smoky Mountain National Park in mind. So that plan is just more of a contingency than anything.

As far as having the skills covered goes, you will need at least a couple other folks in your group that have the same range of skills as you. If for some reason you become immobilized for a long period of time you will all of a sudden become that person that's the fifth wheel. Having at least a few "useful" folks around will definitely pay off. Not to mention the fact that you WILL need security. A one person combat team never gets very far. Remember what the military teaches...there is no "I" in team. If you have a large slice of land full of game you will likely need to defend it at some point.

I know you're a military guy, so I am likely preaching to the choir on this one. But I guess I'm in a talkative mood. I wish you the best and I hope we don't ever have to put these plans into motion. But it's good to be prepared regardless.

Edit: I just re-read my earlier post and it sounded like a pretty crappy plan, which is why I am guessing you asked those questions. I was a bit lazy and didn't explain it very well. I mentioned the whole community thing because I think that should be a part of everyones plan. It is very necessary. Not saying that you should be "dependent" on them, but there are inherent advantages. i hope my post above cleared it up a bit, lol.

Edited by Seabeejason
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest HvyMtl

Um. About the legalities thing. The couple driving the 18 wheeler, well, they have a serious problem. It is ILLEGAL to carry firearms in a Commerical Vehicle... Federal Law. Cannot carry, even with a carry permit in a Commercial Vehicle. Why is Nat Geo not checking the laws before they show people breaking them?

Um. About the legalities thing. The couple driving the 18 wheeler, well, they have a serious problem. It is ILLEGAL to carry firearms in a Commerical Vehicle... Federal Law. Cannot carry, even with a carry permit in a Commercial Vehicle. Why is Nat Geo not checking the laws before they show people breaking them?

That's because it has a sign on the doors NOT FOR HIRE witch I think it does make it legal

Actually, that is NOT a federal law (although most carriers have their own rules against it). And currently, the only state which specifically prohibits the carrying of firearms in a Commercial Motor Vehicle is Illinois.

Hmm. My CDL State Instructor informs me otherwise... Gonna have to check.

By all means trust but verify. But I can save you the time because, as a truck driver for well over twenty years who was grandfathered in when the CDL was instituted, I've already done the research and I can tell you that, not only is your "CDL State Instructor" giving false information, but also - as I already stated - there is no federal law banning firearms in CMVs and, currently, the only state which specifically prohibits the carrying of firearms in a Commercial Motor Vehicle is Illinois.

Happy trails!

Guest HvyMtl

Ah, thanks, gonna check. And verify. Odd this guy would say no, as he is a competition shooter, and loves old western style firearms.

Hmm. My CDL State Instructor informs me otherwise... Gonna have to check.

Just search FMCSA manual online. That's your federal laws re commercial trucking.

I have a CDL and assure you as have the others, there is no federal law about personal possession of arms in commercial vehicles, only some about carrying guns/ammo as cargo.

A commercial driver simply faces same state laws as anyone else in whatever state he finds himself as far as firearm possession.

- OS

Guest A10thunderbolt

My CDL instructors informed me it was illegal as well. I am glad its not, I would hate to drive a truck again but that's my backup job plan.

Doesn't help much. Ignoramus is quoting Safe Passage provision of Gun Owners Protection Act of 1986, and makes a very poor interpretation of it to boot. Doesn't even mention the further legalities of having a carry permit and the resultant reciprocity in various states.

- OS

You're right, of course. Sorry. But it does at least establish a basis, even if it doesn't cover the most relevant areas. ('Course I guess that's like a road map that doesn't bother to actually show the roads.) Bad Timestepper! :(