New to Reloading: Which caliber to start out reloading?

Guest canebreaker

Lester, recheck if I'm wrong. 9m jacketed bullets are .355. Lead bullets are .356.

Most 38 and 357 jacketed bullets are .357 and lead are .358.

If wanting to use a .357 lead bullet in a 9m, I would first run it through the .358 sizer then the .356 sizer.

Make the job a bit easier, less work on the .356 sizer, but double work.

I do that with my 358-120-RN mold bullets.

Without editing my last post. Give me a list of ranges in the chattanooga area. I like well lite indoor with lots of room or outdoor ranges the best.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

Lester, recheck if I'm wrong. 9m jacketed bullets are .355. Lead bullets are .356.

Most 38 and 357 jacketed bullets are .357 and lead are .358.

If wanting to use a .357 lead bullet in a 9m, I would first run it through the .358 sizer then the .356 sizer.

Make the job a bit easier, less work on the .356 sizer, but double work.

I do that with my 358-120-RN mold bullets.

Without editing my last post. Give me a list of ranges in the chattanooga area. I like well lite indoor with lots of room or outdoor ranges the best.

Thanks canebreaker

That sounds reasonable as far as I know, but I don't know anything practical (or impractical) about resizing bullets. I keep meaning to try some lead bullets, but so far never loaded anythig but jacketed, semi-jacketed, or plated soft lead. But those missouri lead bullets look pretty good.

For curiosity, is it possible to resize jacketed bullets a thousandth or two? Or does that make the jackets too loose or whatever?

Think I recall that there are at least four chatt area indoor ranges, but haven't been to an indoor range in years. Can recall three (think it is still accurate)-- Shooters Depot, Sportsmans Supply, and Carters Shooting Supply and Range. Only one I went to was Sportsmans Supply, which is OK as far as I can tell. It is lit bright enough to use, but my old eyes prefer "landing light bright" "daylight bright" and it isn't that bright. Ventilation and climate control seemed fine when I was there. Dunno if any of them are daylight bright. Maybe typical users would rather the lighting be somewhat subdued? Dunno.

Guest canebreaker

Thanks for the reply Lester.

I thank you could do damage to a sizing die on a jacketed bullet, say a couple of K or more. I'd back off of that idea.

The indoor ranges at Memphis (3) are dark small cubes. Area painted black or gray, dim lite. Feels like a dungeen, I don't like it.

I want daylight bright, screen or plex between stalls. More than enough room for 2.

We had a nice one in southaven, 5 lanes, but the owners were eating each others lunch so to speak, so they closed. Dang!

I'd like to open one, but retirement income has it's limits. I like to fish and travel, so would have to hire someone honest. Income

would come from shooters, sales and recycling. So a person would have to wait for some of the income.

Guest Lester Weevils

Hi canebreaker

Yes I like shooting in the sunshine. Was wondering that if it is true that indoor range lighting tends to be subdued-- Perhaps people prefer it a little dim to better practice under defense conditions? Or maybe a "set and setting" mood thing?

Haven't been in music studios lately. In years past the better ones might have been capable of being turned up real bright, but by default were set fairly dim. Not tripping-over-cables dim, but not as bright as old eyes might like. I figured maybe typical folks liked recording in a dimmer environment, rather than operating-table bright. Dunno. Or maybe it hides the dust, spiders and rats better! :)

Guest canebreaker

Possible the dim lite hides the cleanup duty. Mostly men in the place that want to sit around. And the around shows.

Dang get off your f-- a-- and get busy. Do some work to this place. Make it family friendly is what I'm asking. Not the black hole at the end of the block.

I joined an outdoor club the other day. It's at Como, MS. It needs some work but it's good for now. I can take up to 4 guest at a time. If you're in the area, PM me and we'll shoot.

Guest Lester Weevils

Possible the dim lite hides the cleanup duty. Mostly men in the place that want to sit around. And the around shows.

When younger I would sometimes joke about a joint "lit up brighter than a morrison's cafeteria", but nowadays sometimes I think morrison's could use more light. :)

Haven't been in a Krystal in the wee hours lately. If they remain as bright as in yesteryear, maybe an indoor range "lit up brighter than a Krystal at 3am". :)