GLOCK 33 FOR CARRY - HOW TO REDUCE RECOIL

I really like the ballistics of the 357 Sig and its accuracy. I like the G33 size and would like to use as a carry gun. How can the recoil be reduced to a little more pleasant experience? SS recoil rod with heavier springs, or what? I have the Sig P239 but do not like the weight and magazine capacity.

Your experience with the G33 would be appreciated.

thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry a G32 and have for yrs, I feel there is no problem with it for me, I am considering going to a G33 also. 1st I carried a Colt gen officers 1911 for yrs, then a G19 until I finally found my 2nd gen G32 which took 3 yrs to find it. There is a shop here that has 2 33's instock for $399 each, used but like new in original boxes etc.

to reduce recoil I'd say shoot it a lot if you have access to cheap bulk .357 Sig. The more you shoot it the easier the recoil will be. Otherwise get a Glock 26 and carry +p ammo. I love the baby Glocks as a summer carry gun. I sold my OD Green 26 and I'm waiting for a 4th Gen 27 to be shipped to my FFL.

Edited by JReedEsq

you can get a glock ported, our 17 came that way from the factory (17C because of the port). Stronger springs... may not be a good idea. Glocks are already sprung hard, for +P ammo (starter loads for 9mm won't cycle them, had to use 75% of max load for reliable function!!). You can try a wrap around grip, if your hands are not too small for it, that can really help as well.

In the end, though, glocks recoil hard. No weight and grip angle make recoil excessive compared to other guns in the same size and caliber. You could add weights to it, but that would probably annoy you since you didnt like the heavier sig. You could try the stouter springs but it may jam on cheap ammo, forcing you to feed it ONLY +P which is usually expensive.

Those are the only things I can think of to do to it.

. Glocks are already sprung hard, for +P ammo (starter loads for 9mm won't cycle them, had to use 75% of max load for reliable function!!).

Explain this?? Are you saying you had to use something else besides your basic 115gr 9mm load just to be able to cycle your G17C??

If so, that makes no sense. I have a 19C and have used everything under the sun and it's eaten it with no issues, didn't matter if it was a sub sonic load, a +p+ nor did it matter the grain used.

Jonnin, I'm not doubting your experience that your Glock won't cycle light loads, but that has definitely not been my experience.

I've owned the Glock 9mm in every size and each one of them has worked with every ammo I've tried. That includes NATO, +p, and the weakest Remmington UMC. I've used 115 grain up to 147 grain and a variety of hollow points. I also own a Glock 22 (.40) and the only issues I've had with it are when I used a tactical light combined with an older magazine. This is a publicized issue with a known solution which is to only use the newer magazines if you put a tactical light on a .40. As for recoil, I don't find any of the 9mm models to be harsh. The 26 is "jumpy", I'd say just because the short barrel gives it more muzzle rise than the Glock 19 or 17, but nothing unpleasant. For someone who's recoil shy, I'd definitely stick with 9mm in any small carry gun.

Edited by JReedEsq

Explain this?? Are you saying you had to use something else besides your basic 115gr 9mm load just to be able to cycle your G17C??

If so, that makes no sense. I have a 19C and have used everything under the sun and it's eaten it with no issues, didn't matter if it was a sub sonic load, a +p+ nor did it matter the grain used.

I reload. I made some light target loads that were just a little over the published starter loads. They cycled my beretta 92, my ruger p85, and other guns. The glock jammed every single time. It took 2 tries of increasing the load by 1/2 a grain each before they cycled the glock reliably. The first 1/2 grain cycled some and jammed some.

I have not seen a glock fail on any factory ammo.

Others seem to be getting light stuff to work, so maybe is a non issue, try the stout springs & see if they work. Springs are cheap, and they work or not its easy to put the old one back in.

Edited by Jonnin
Guest infinity40

Buy a calibration kit of springs from Wolf or somewhere reputable. Start with the heavier springs and work your way down to what feels good to you and still cycles reliably. Shoot the load you plan to shoot while doing this calibration process. 10 rounds on each spring is not enough. Shoot a lot on each spring.

Heavier springs cause other issues, namely failure to cycle the slide due to your hand/wrist/arm taking some of the recoil your gun needs to be using to cycle the slide. Some people call it limp wristing and it's usually due to a heavy spring weight. As you move down in spring weight the felt recoil of the gun will change, from big and stiff feeling to a harsher, more sharp felt recoil as the slide hits it's stops harder. Somewhere in there is probably a spot that will work for you. Pick the spring weight that works best. It may not actually be less recoil but it will be the one that feels the best to you.

If you don't find it, try another round of stiffer and softer springs. You will not eliminate recoil, but this method at least gives you a chance to minimize it and fit it to your body and shooting style.

Edited by infinity40
Guest infinity40

LOL, then start tweaking your load, to fine tune it even more. Bullseye shoots softer in my 9's than anything else I tried, but it IS NASTY!

I finally found a used G33 on Gun Broker at a some-what reasonal price, if it weren't for shipping. My FFl should receive next week. The G33 has dual springs, how do you replace springs on recoil rod? The rod does not appear to come apart on my G26. On by G36, I order dual springs contained on ss guide rod at 19#, 2# heavier than standard. This helped recoil on the G36.

• 2 weeks later...

You picked a little gun and a pretty big caliber. Recoil is now a way of life. I went from full sized 1911s and Glocks to a .38 Spec +P Airweight. I wanted more concealibility and I now have accepted the bone jarring and wrist snapping price! I practice with light loads but that is an option that the revolver gives that you will not have as a luxury in a semiauto. Nasty recoil is the price of being able to be sneaky! I also wear a glove when shooting at the range, Still hurts but just not as much.

Edited by wjh2657

I added a SS guiderod and pearce grips to mags on my G33, seems to have helped some. Guess I'll just have

to shoot more and adjust. I sure do like the 357 Sig ballastics. Now to find a good holster for daily carry.