There are drones in your future

Guest Lester Weevils

Wonder what would happen if a big foam/composite model plane happened to get accidentally sucked into the intake of a jet drone?

About the camera thing, I saw where there is a proposal by Memphis City Councilman Edmund Ford Jr., to charge Memphis residents and out of towners that come into the city 2 or 3 times a week, a vehicle inspection fee. He is proposing that traffic cameras be posted a long major roads leading into the city to catch license plate numbers for those that live outside the city limits. Here is the link.

http://www.knoxnews....inspection-fee/

Good, I F'in hate Memphis anyway. Funny how it's justified to tax the citizens for commuting to work where they earn money that they are taxed on, only to "ease the burden" on the local government for it's programs that the tax payers already pay for. Nothing but horesh*t.

• Like 1

Wonder what would happen if a big foam/composite model plane happened to get accidentally sucked into the intake of a jet drone?

Depends on the model plane and the jet it hits. Jet engines suck up single birds and keep on going. I work on the commercial equivalent of the engine in the Global Hawk. It typically takes several large birds to do enough damage to cause an immediate shut down. Jet drones also typically fly very high... 50,000 ft or higher. Typical R/C stuff won't get anywhere near that, and even it if could, you wouldn't be able to see it from the ground. Basically, a collision would do some damage, but it likely wouldn't bring the drone down immediately.

I am pretty sure that I have spotted drones on two separate occasions in Polk county.

Once near the Chillhowee glider port on 411 and once over a night football game at the PCHS. Both times I had passengers who also saw them. The only strange thing was they were able to change direction very quickly and also hover for a short period of time. Also for how close they were, they were very quite. Both times, they moved out very quickly once I pulled the vehicle off the road and started watching.

Edited by sigmtnman

Why are these drones needed? There are more than enough intrusions into our lives allready.

For right now, they're just there to push our buttons. In the not so distant future, it will be like Bladerunner or Minority Report. It already is kinda.

So am i actually to believe armed drones willl be circling Knox County in my life?

Unless you croak purt soon, I'll kinda be surprised if they won't.

Can't even guess at the potshots they would draw

Not so easy to even spot, let alone hit with conventional small arms. That's why they don't get shot down in mid east.

Perhaps whole new underground shooting sports industry will arise: mobile trailers with heat seeking .50BMG or larger synced with radar and infrared. 21st century big game hunting, can even do it from an urb.

- OS

• Like 1

look like oversize skeet to me.

How long will take for bubba to take a pull at it, or better yet, how long for bubba-popo to run it into something ?

I look forward to seeing the footage from that in the Tennessean.

PULL!!

Guest Lester Weevils

I think a home-made emp would do more damage to your own equipment and home and car and so on than it would the plane. Bubba would be in for a shock --- literally--- and if wearing metal, well, you know what happens if you wear metal in an MRI machine??

Thanks Jonnin. Yep any EMP device would need to be very directional to use as a "beam gun". Sounds like you keep up with military tech. Vaguely recall something about the USA purportedly using "tactical EMP" gadgets to knock out parts of the Iraq comm system early in the war. Maybe those (if they existed) are more like an omni-directional non-nuclear "emp bomb" than a ray gun?

Gets me wondering about stuff am not any way bright enough to discuss. An EMP is a "pulse". One stupid simple way to make a non-nuclear EMP is to discharge a capacitor bank very quickly. That seems approaching a "dirac spike" in fourier transform terms. The heisenberg uncertainty principle as it applies to fourier transforms-- An event very localized in time can't be localized in frequency or space. An event very localized in space or frequency can't be precisely localized in time. So maybe it would be difficult to focus a properly-brief single pulse into a beam? Maybe a highly resonant RLC resonant antenna could turn it into something directional? Rather than a single pulse, a decaying resonant high-amplitude high-frequency oscillation? Something like that might be more easily formed into a "beam"? But by stretching the pulse into a longer-duration oscillation, the peak EMF would be reduced, so such a stretched pulse would need even more power to have any effect...

I am thinking about doing some research on arming a low end r/c plane with maybe a 20 guage tube gun maybe two. I have a couple of old rc airplane kits in the attick from my childhood, I just might look into how high I will have to be to recover after recoil stops forward motion. I haven't played with rc stuff in a long time. Of course this is something you can't work on in the park, and a last ditch self defense weapon. I see many ways this can be dangerous. Did the FAA stipulate in this bill that the drones couldn't be armed? worst nightmare is armed UAV's flying around the country.

Any such would most likely be highly illegal, but air-to-air rockets don't have recoil like guns do...

Depends on the model plane and the jet it hits. Jet engines suck up single birds and keep on going. I work on the commercial equivalent of the engine in the Global Hawk. It typically takes several large birds to do enough damage to cause an immediate shut down. Jet drones also typically fly very high... 50,000 ft or higher. Typical R/C stuff won't get anywhere near that, and even it if could, you wouldn't be able to see it from the ground. Basically, a collision would do some damage, but it likely wouldn't bring the drone down immediately.

Thanks peejman. Admittedly it is not only illegal but highly improbable that bubba could take down a big drone. But the kid in me considers science fiction remote possibilities. If a 4 foot long styrofoam plane happened to have a 4 foot long steel or titanium rod or i-beam embedded in the core-- Wonder if a jet turbine would have more trouble digesting that?

I like my Roombas though they are dumber than a cockroach. The easiest way to shut down a roomba is to let it eat a few inches of string. When I was tuning pianos-- A quarter pound reel of piano wire, you have to be careful cutting off a piece. If you let it get away from you it will "explosively unroll" all over the place. Have noticed the same thing with 25 foot reels of electrical fish wire. Wonder how well a fancy turbine jet or even a prop-drive, would tolerate a big mess of steel wire?

I am pretty sure that I have spotted drones on two separate occasions in Polk county.

Once near the Chillhowee glider port on 411 and once over a night football game at the PCHS. Both times I had passengers who also saw them. The only strange thing was they were able to change direction very quickly and also hover for a short period of time. Also for how close they were, they were very quite. Both times, they moved out very quickly once I pulled the vehicle off the road and started watching.

Did they have running lights? Any cues as to size or distance? There is a neat class of electric R/C planes that are called "3-D" planes. They are incredibly lightweight with very strong motors. They can hover indefinitely just as easy as fly in a straight line. Just thinking, in the dark maybe a small high-performance R/C plane could give the visual impression of what you report?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 6.8 AR

I'm outraged just like the judge.

Putting tear gas and rubber bullets in one is first generation. Second would be filled with nerve gas and

a machine gun. Carry it forward to the day of the Hunger Games.