Saw a spider... can't sleep now

strickj

Saw a big black and white spotted spider in the bedroom just before laying down around 1am. Decided to google it to see what the risk was for leaving him be (lost him behind the dresser while trying to smash). The searching through dozens of spider pics did nothing but make my squeamishing squeamisher.

It's now rounding 4:30 and I can't let myself close my eyes.

:wall:

Dont worry, the black and white spotted spider can only jump several feet. They are attracted to moist areas like mouths, ears and nasal cavities of animals only. So you should be ok.

I seem to recall reading that they're also attracted to metal. Particularly metal with gun oil/lubricant residue. Since I'm not afraid of spiders (especially when I'm well armed!), I respectfully suggest that for your own safety you immediately package all your guns and send them to my address. Out of the kindness of my own heart I will selflessly take on the risks and absolve you from all further issues involving black and white spotted spiders.

No thanks necessary, I'm just that kind of guy! :hat:

Edited by Timestepper

I don't generally mind spiders as long as they're the harmless variety. The black widow spiders that I have to periodically eradicate from my basement freak me out though.

I'd seriously consider turning an army of giant tarantulas loose down there if they'd keep the venomous spiders away.

I've seen so many black widows They don't bother me anymore. Brown recluse spiders (Sp?) Freak me out though.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

You don't want to come to my house. I can find Brown recluse by the hundreds.

I have my house sprayed at least once a month to keep them pushed up in the wall & attic.

I think we should as David for a Spider extermination subforum!! :)

Guest Lester Weevils

Spidey's bother me not in the least except brown recluse, and I'll pay closer attention before sticking my hand in somewhere that might have a black widow.

If my house was full of brown recluse, dang would probably just move.

Never been bit by a brown recluse. Dunno even if I've ever seen a brown recluse. Web articles say the bites are rarely severe. But then they go on to show numerous pictures of the severe exceptions, showing giant nasty non-healing holes rotted into people's flesh. Gahh.

I keep the wader boots in the basement. I always check in the wader boots before I put my feet in.

Spidey's bother me not in the least except brown recluse, and I'll pay closer attention before sticking my hand in somewhere that might have a black widow.

If my house was full of brown recluse, dang would probably just move.

Never been bit by a brown recluse. Dunno even if I've ever seen a brown recluse. Web articles say the bites are rarely severe. But then they go on to show numerous pictures of the severe exceptions, showing giant nasty non-healing holes rotted into people's flesh. Gahh.

I keep the wader boots in the basement. I always check in the wader boots before I put my feet in.

Friend of mine got bitten on his shoulder and even with medical attention it ate a hole straight through to his back the size of a quarter. Not fun at all.

I'm man enough to admit that I scream like a little girl when I see a spider. I'm also man enough to admit that I slept on the couch last night.

And I didn't spend more then 5 minutes checking the compartments of the couch with a flashlight.

^^ True story

I'm man enough to admit that I scream like a little girl when I see a spider. I'm also man enough to admit that I slept on the couch last night.

And I didn't spend more then 5 minutes checking the compartments of the couch with a flashlight.

^^ True story

Can't blame you for that. I hate the things.

Just looking at the big close up photos in this thread FREAK ME OUT. I can watch a zombie movie no problem, but I can't look those spiders (above) in the eyeS. Creepy they are!

I am the mighty bug-killing, wasp-spraying warrior in our house . . . except for a big spider. When I start screaming like a little girl, my wife squishes it with a rolled up newspaper and flushes it down the toilet. I stand there, wiping away tears from my eyes and throwing up a little in my mouth. It's not so much big spiders, as big spider guts, eeeeeeeck!

Shelob the Spider from the Lord of the Rings. Stab it with a sword.

That's ok, I hate spiders too, but...

Was installing a new toilet in my 8 year old house this morning, second floor. Pulled old toilet off flange, was cleaning up wax seal to install new one. Saw what appeared to be a hair clog down in drain pipe. Used long screwdriver to grab it and pull it out. Looks like a snake skin! 8 year old house! Second floor! We're moving!!!

That's ok, I hate spiders too, but...

Was installing a new toilet in my 8 year old house this morning, second floor. Pulled old toilet off flange, was cleaning up wax seal to install new one. Saw what appeared to be a hair clog down in drain pipe. Used long screwdriver to grab it and pull it out. Looks like a snake skin! 8 year old house! Second floor! We're moving!!!

What, and leave all the spider eating snakes behind? I'm tickled to have snakes under our house - cuts down on the mice and other undesirables! :D

What, and leave all the spider eating snakes behind? I'm tickled to have snakes under our house - cuts down on the mice and other undesirables! :D

I'm never coming to your house. I can deal with spiders. Snakes on the other hand are evil and I will kill any I see, even stop in the road to do a burn out on one it I see it in the road.