permit status delivered to LEO's

Guest Liberty Seeker

Guest Liberty Seeker

Back when I took the course to get my HCP about 6 years ago, we were told that even though they were using the same number as your DL, the information regarding permits wouldn't just be given out when stopped by a LEO. I kind of figured that was BS, and when I was stopped last fall at the end of the encounter the officer asked if I had a weapon on my motorcycle. I told him that I did not, but that I had one on my person, to which he responded okay, have a nice day. I figure the only way he could have known is when he ran my DL to check for wants/warrants that information was transmitted back to him. I don't care that they are informed, I actually would prefer it to having to inform them, I just wonder why we were told that. Any LEO's on here that can confirm you get that information when you run a DL?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when a police officer runs you DL or even your tag number of your vehicle the dispatcher has access to pull your carry permit status, and at times they will tell the officer even before he makes contact with you... thus the reason, IMHO, its best to let them know up front that your carrying. You dont have to, but it might make the stop more pleasant.

How can the dispatcher know that the driver has a carry permit? I could be driving my mothers car. She doesn't have a permit. I could be in a company car, the company doesn't have a permit.

The registered owner might come up but then they would have to run that information to find out what the DL number was. My tags are not tied to my drivers license only my name. There are many people in this city alone that have the same name as I do.

They do have access to the D/L info once I hand it to them. Then they can run it on their computers in their cars and find out all of the information.

Guest Liberty Seeker

The stop was pleasant enough, and I was sent on my way with a warning. I never made any sudden moves or said or did anything to alarm the two officers who had stopped me. I showed them the same respect I expected, and they replied in kind. I know it doesn't go as well for all, but I have always been treated well in any dealings with LEO's.

Guest Liberty Seeker

If they run the tag, and it is your car, they can probably match name and address to get the information, since you are supposed to keep that information current.

Guest nitrous_mike

I listen to a "scanner" at home and at work and they do know if you have a permit by running your DL. Here they will tell the officer of the restrictions, warrants, gun permit, age, gender, race, height , and any other file notes that may be attached to your name/DL #.

As a former dispatcher I can confirm that your HCP and DL are the same thing as for as TIES (Tennessee Information Enforcement System) is concerned. They are a division of the TBI and are the one responsible for maintaining the states database on DLs, Car registration, Boat registration, etc...and the states link to the nationwide NCIC system.

When your DL is run it come back with your name, address and all that information and one of the fields is simply Gun Permit and it has a Y or N.

This was discussed in another thread.....a dispatcher can take information (name, address) from your license plate and do a name search for a DL that matches that name and know if the registered owner of that car has a HCP. But as Brian said that doesn't necessarily mean the driver is armed, because it may not be his car or he may not be carrying that day for whatever reason.

yea, but usually the owner of said vehicle is usually driving it, I'd say about 70% of the time. And not every agency does it. But a good dispatcher running several officers will "get ahead" of themselves sometimes and get the information for you so you will have it when you ask... and not have to wait. If HCP comes up, sometimes they will tell you before you even ask.

Guest GLOCKGUY
Apparently, this is depending on the computer system and the department.

Doesn't matter. Just inform them. Chances are you will get better treatment if you have a permit.

this is very true