Long Term $2 Bill "Supportcot"

Can someone please explain to me the significance with $2 bills and gun owners?

"2nd" amendment. I don't get it either but if it makes people happy....

Me, I'm not about to go the bank asking for obscure bills to then impress some idgit coffee pourer or anyone else, all the while trying to explain the usage of nonsensical, but totally legal, currency.

Can someone please explain to me the significance with $2 bills and gun owners?

Just the fact that they are so little used, it would identity a group that chose to use it, as far as I know. Somebody thought of it for the Starbucks thing, dunno if that was national or local, though. Think it identified with 2A also, was idea.

You'd need a nationwide campaign to get it rolling though. And again, if they don't make them any more, wouldn't take long before not everyone could get them.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest lostpass

The two dollar bill is still printed and in circulation. I used to ask for them at the bank just cause they freaked people out a little. Now I ask for golden dollars, you can really get some looks when you drop the golden dollars.

Never got around to trying it but I'd love to give a bunch of golden dollars to someone heading to a strip club. I can just imagine how peeved he and the strippers would be.

Has anybody ever seen $1 bills marked with a Where's George stamp? They usually say something like "www.wheresgeorge.com currency tracking program", and the words are formed in a circle around the seal. If something like this were done to mark the $2 bill with some pro 2nd amendment phrase, it might be worthwhile. Otherwise people would just go "Huh, a $2 bill, neat"

• Moderators
Has anybody ever seen $1 bills marked with a Where's George stamp? They usually say something like "www.wheresgeorge.com currency tracking program", and the words are formed in a circle around the seal. If something like this were done to mark the $2 bill with some pro 2nd amendment phrase, it might be worthwhile. Otherwise people would just go "Huh, a $2 bill, neat"

I really really like this idea.

That has potential. Otherwise it would be like Garufa said, you would have to explain it. So we have a person paying with obscure bills, rambling on about how the "2" represents the 2nd Amendment to someone who likely thinks that is the one where the govt has the power to give us the right to have a warrant when they search our houses for Prohibition. Or is that the one where the press has freedom to speak? And didn't Lincoln come up with that when he crossed the Mississippi in our war with Canada over Mexico in 1492?

• Like 1

That has potential. Otherwise it would be like Garufa said, you would have to explain it. So we have a person paying with obscure bills, rambling on about how the "2" represents the 2nd Amendment to someone who likely thinks that is the one where the govt has the power to give us the right to have a warrant when they search our houses for Prohibition. Or is that the one where the press has freedom to speak? And didn't Lincoln come up with that when he crossed the Mississippi in our war with Canada over Mexico in 1492?

Hah! Good point, though. Honestly, I am not sure the clerks who would be running the registers, taking the payment, etc. would even notice or pay much attention. If they did, it would probably not make much of an impact. The people who set corporate policy and who would be the 'target audience' for such a campaign likely never even see the actual cash that goes into the till. They'll never know if a customer paid with a $2 bill or a handful of half dollar pieces. Instead, they deal with electronic numbers in corporate bank accounts. To me, it seems like a lot of effort to go to for a message that isn't likely to reach the intended audience.

Also, as for stamping some kind of slogan onto the $2 bills, isn't it illegal to alter or deface currency? I know people do it all the time but to do so as part of a campaign where the goal is to promote the participants as law-abiding citizens who carry firearms would probably leave the campaign open to all sorts of (legitimate, if nit-picky) attacks from the opposition. Would make us look a bit silly, too.

Just as an aside, part of the reason $2 aren't more popular is that they were once (still are, by some folks, I guess) considered to be bad luck (I am not sure of the reason.) Apparently, it was once fairly common practice among the public to tear the corners off of $2 because that was believed, for some reason, to cancel out the 'bad luck' effects.

Edited by JAB

Hah! Good point, though. Honestly, I am not sure the clerks who would be running the registers, taking the payment, etc. would even notice or pay much attention. If they did, it would probably not make much of an impact. The people who set corporate policy and who would be the 'target audience' for such a campaign likely never even see the actual cash that goes into the till. They'll never know if a customer paid with a $2 bill or a handful of half dollar pieces. Instead, they deal with electronic numbers in corporate bank accounts. To me, it seems like a lot of effort to go to for a message that isn't likely to reach the intended audience.

Also, as for stamping some kind of slogan onto the $2 bills, isn't it illegal to alter or deface currency? I know people do it all the time but to do so as part of a campaign where the goal is to promote the participants as law-abiding citizens who carry firearms would probably leave the campaign open to all sorts of (legitimate, if nit-picky) attacks from the opposition. Would make us look a bit silly, too.

Just as an aside, part of the reason $2 aren't more popular is that they were once (still are, by some folks, I guess) considered to be bad luck (I am not sure of the reason.) Apparently, it was once fairly common practice among the public to tear the corners off of $2 because that was believed, for some reason, to cancel out the 'bad luck' effects.

I always heard that the Fifty Dollar bill was suppose to be bad luck too. But you can't prove it by me.

I think the law says its illegal if you deface a bill with the intent to make it unusable, or alter it's value. A slogan or picture in an inconspicuous area would probably not break that law.

That said, I don't know how effective it would be either. I mean really, how often have you received a $2 bill in change. So, you would get the bills from the bank, mark them, use them at the store, where the clerk doesn't have time to look at it, and probably puts it under the till because there is no slot in the register for the $2 bill, then the bills get bagged up and sent right back to the bank. The bank may reissue it to someone who requests it, or they may see the markings and send it back to the reserve to be destroyed. Regardless, it's not going to get much circulation.

• 4 weeks later...

Having a $2 just means you bought a ticket for the Bill Goodman Gun Show. The ticket booth gives you change for your $8 ticket with a $2.

That's the only ones I've ran across lately. I just take 'em home & give 'em to the

Grandboys for a novelty.