Colt Trooper MK III .357 problem

Guest mikedwood

Guest mikedwood

A friend of mine has a Colt Trooper MK III .357 and when you pull the trigger sometimes the cylinder rotates but the hammer doesn't cock. Sometimes it works fine but it will rarely cycle all 6 without the problem.

Anyone know much aboutrevolvers? It's a good one and he likes it but this problem is a bad one.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mikedwood

Thank you for the reply Rabbi and I think you were right. I guess we will start taking revolvers apart and cleaning them 1st. I have always been scared of taking revolvers apart.

I found a schematic at Stevespages.com and emailed it to him last night and he took it completely apart this morning and cleaned and polished the insides. He said it was super gummed up in there. I bet it was 20 years between cleanings. It works like a new one now I mean it's 100% perfect operationally. We ran 125 rounds through it at Gunny's today and not a problem at all.

It's not my style of gun but it feels great and is a great shooter. The sites are huge and accurate, shoots straight and hardly any recoil using the .38 ammo that felt like it was blowing my arm off with my stubbie. Shot a few .357 with it and other than twice the sound and a little more kick, not so bad.

Smiths there isnt that much to them. Colt's are tricky. There are fewer parts so each part does more. Get one out of adjustment and you'll have the devil's own time getting it right. That's why I said just hose the insides.

Generally if something isnt consistent, then it is fouling of some sort or other.

• 1 month later...