Suppressor, Can, Silencer!!!!!!!

To start with I have Tapatalk on an iPhone so bare with me if this has been covered here recently, I can't find the search section. Anyway, I'm (seriously) thinking of putting a can on my new AR, problem is I don't have enough experience with these things to know anything about them. I have seen some online for $700+. Is this normal? Plus tax stamp.

Are there local gunsmiths who will make them cheaper, I know cheaper isn't always better. I wasnt going to keep it suppressed all the time just while hunting in well populated locations and various other situations. So I was thinking of doing it the quick attach way.

Am I wrong? Please help me decide on the right route to take.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow I knew you would be the first to post a reply!! Good on ya buddy!! Very well written and informative post. Ok the QD is out then, I actually thought you have to use a wrench to "cinch" it down, didn't know you just tighten it with your hand.

I knew it wouldn't be the Hollywood sound of let say someone "spitting" but the quiteness of a can would benefit me in a couple of ways. Hey maybe it's just the cool factor creeping up on me, idk.

I have a post in the hunting section explaining that I work at a FD and we have a airport that we have a station at. The airport director has told us that he wants the coyotes killed because they are interfering with the planes coming in and out of the airfields. So that's another reason.

I do have a lathe, and some skills, less than a hundred bucks sounds fantastic to me for a can. I will do some more research in the meantime, will you write me a detailed description on how to make my own, I prefer step by step, lol. I'm kidding or not you choose.

BluewaterTacticalDefense

I'll PM you my number.

I will not post directions in an open forum. It is better to keep things like this out of the public eye because it is heavily regulated as well as dangerous if done wrong. I do not want people to attempt to make one without the proper research and authorization. Doing so can result in a stint in the FPMITAP.

By posting it the directions it can also be construed as condoning breaking the law which is against the forum rules.

Dolomite

I don't know about yall but I have been really disappointed in SilencerResearch. He seldom, if ever puts up reviews anymore. I think Bryon with majormalfunction has the best site right now. Plus its free! Check it out: http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/forum.php

He also beats nearly everyone on prices. I buy my stuff from him and have been very satisfied.

You have gotten great advice about buying (or building) your first can. I went with a 5.56 can as my first and wish I would have started with 22lr. No matter what you decide you have already made a great choice by deciding to get one!

Hmm, I smell a new project, lol.

I have been considering a 22 and/or 223 suppressor for a couple months now, but didn't like the price tag. The $200 stamp is a given, but the actual price of the can is what has kept me from taking the plunge. I have most of the tools, lathe and skill to do it, but I didn't realize it was legal to build your own. Cool thread...

Guest Lester Weevils

I'm mechanically dumb but got a minilathe for making custom telescope parts and the minilathe works fine for that. Except big telescope parts.

People who know about such things advise that if you have room to put it and a way to transport it, many usa machine shops have gone belly up and you can sometimes buy monster old-but-indestructible high-quality made-in-usa lathes and mills for chickenfeed. Sometimes free if you will haul em off. Those stories I've heard came from fellas living in usa rust belts, and I believe the stories because they post pictures of their monster lathes they got "nearly free", but maybe it is true in TN as well. Never checked.

The issue is that a small lathe is heavy enough you need help toting it unless you are The Incredible Hulk. A mid-sized chinese lathe is about like moving a gun safe. And I don't even want to think what you would be in for, moving a big un without a forklift. I saw a web page of pictures showing a fella moving a mere 1000 pound mid-size chinese lathe into his shop without a forklift, and it didn't look like any fun at all.

So at the moment a minilathe is all I have room for. Most folks might want to put a big un (or even middle-sized) in a fork-lift accessible location. You guys with un-used double-wide garages or big barns on flat land and easy drive-up access, are in a better situation to consider a fuller range of options.

I prefer to buy heavy stuff local so it doesn't cost a fortune in shipping if there is something wrong and it has to go back. So bought the minilathe from Harbor Freight. Several companies sell the same thing with better features and better quality control, if you don't mind ordering truck freight.

However, harbor frieght's selection of lathe accessories is sparse and they don't typically even keep the full inventory in my local store. AFAIK Little Machine Shop is the bestest place to buy everything except the minilathe itself (and they also sell "better" versions of the minilathe if you don't mind truck freight)--

http://littlemachineshop.com/

And here are convenient places to get material, if you don't happen to have a good industrial metal supplier locally. Problem with many local industrial suppliers (in many fields) is that they don't suffer fools gladly and often do not welcome some fool who doesn't know what he's doing, wasting a bunch of their time buying less than $100 of product.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

A suppressor sounds like a fun project.