Glock vs 1911!

Sandman

timcalhoun; your list is competition shooters. Irrelevant to the premise of the thread.

Nice off topic post, though.

Thanks man,

I didn't think so, because I, like them, would choose something that would be more likely to help me survive. A faster more accurate gun does that. Point is there is no down side particularly with the hi-cap. Ease of stripping or cleaning doesn't enter the eqation for me. I'm going to be carrying it and only cleaning it when it's safe to do so, and a couple of extra parts is no biggie.

Edited by timcalhoun
  • Like 1

If it truly came down to these 2 choices and nothing else, I would take the 1911 as well. But that is the best of 2 bad choices, IMHO. Thankfully there are hundreds of other models to choose from.

If I had to pick one from my safe, probably would grab the ruger p89, its rugged, reliable, high cap, and no great loss if banged around. Trigger is as bad or worse than the glock, though, but the recoil and control factors are much, much better.

Based on the justifications to choose the 1911, logically means following that premise to conclusion and you would actually have to choose a revolver. ;) I'm grabbing whatever is laying around and I have. Competition shooters favor the 1911 for the trigger and 5" barrel. You can get that in other guns as well, they just don't look as good.

We know the 1911 has proven reliable through every conceivable fight around the world. But the reason it is still around and dominant is the superior interface (trigger). If you want hi cap get a 2011.......best of both worlds.

Top Shooters on the planet that prefer the 1911:

Rob Leatham

Dave Sevigny (Immediately switched when not working for glock)

Todd Jarrett

Shannon Smith

Travis Tomasie

Max Michael

Manny Bragg

Frank Garcia

Blake Miguez

Chris Tilley

JJ Racaza

KC Eusebio

Jessie Harrison (Same as Dave, immediately switched after leaving glock)

Julie Golosky

Shane Cooley (JR world Champ army AMU)

I could go on and on and on.......

Top Shooter that actually prefers a glock: Bob Vogel

We know it's reliable, we know it is a superior shooter, and if you want more capacity get a 2011. That is all. :pleased: Oh and it was born and bread in the good ole USA :usa:

Momma baked you right huh? :rofl:

Sorry, I'm just having fun.

What competitors use doesn't speak near as much as what people risk their life on. More people depend on Glock.

Momma baked you right huh? :rofl:

Sorry, I'm just having fun.

What competitors use doesn't speak near as much as what people risk their life on. More people depend on Glock.

Bred.......sorry.

More people voted for Obama too, that obviously didn't make him a good prez...... :rofl:

Added: I do believe that the glock is a better choice for police departments and most officers though.

Edited by timcalhoun

Dang. We are geting really into dark territory here. The way I read the question is one of personal choice. I would have to base that choice on my own capabilities. I've really come to like the 1911 after years of thinking it too hard to use and maintain. But that's just my opinion, not necessarly correct or incorrect. I shoot marginally better with the 1911 form than I do with most of the polymer framed guns, but not enough so that I'd call myself qualifed to render a decision designded to influences others to my way of thinking.

That being said, if I understand the basis of the question,that is what would I pick, based on personal knowledge and abilities. I'd have to go with the glock.

Man, that was really hard to say. I really like them both, but I think that the average person's skill level, and again, I say average, not some of us who eat, sleep, and breathe holding onto our guns, no matter the brand or caliber; the choice would almost certainly be with the glock.

It's just too easy to pick up and shoot. Not necessarily shoot well, but just grab and pull the trigger. And that is what I think would happen with the majority of "survivors" in any catastrophic situation that would see everyone running for a gun.

I tend to lean toward my Glocks, but I love my 2011's. In a TEOTWAWKI situation, I'll probably grab a wheel gun and a Glock.

Oh, and why does everyone use the "45 is the super bullet" arguement in the 1911 vs. Glock discussion? I'm pretty sure there is a 45 ACP Glock...

Mac

Are we talking a meltdown or a target shooting competetion? If I'm drilling paper I'll take the 1911 everytime, it's just a joy to shoot. If I'm going up against God knows what and who I'm taking my Glock. I know my Glock is going to work. It will not be finicky. I don't need to drive nails with it, I need it to be battle accurate. The Glock would have to take a crap ton of ammo before it got too dirty to run and would even need to be torn down and cleaned out. Yall go ahead and trust your lives to a 1911, when the SHTF and your 1911 breaks me and my Glock are coming to take your stuff :yuck:

OK let’s break this down a bit and simplify the chest beating. An author can and will write anything they want in a novel of their own creation. Much of the survivalist fiction goes back to the heyday of the 1970’s where Mel Tappan drove the train on what was commonly accepted in survivalist firearms. Tappan was very knowledgeable on practical guns and unfortunately died far too young.

I’ve not read the book in question here and doubt that I will for that matter but bear this in mind, there are people who have never owned and shot any Glock pistols. Other’s simply don’t like the trigger or gripe ergonomics on them and prefer the 1911 instead. What you or I would choose is irrelevant to such people so the handgun selection is a non-issue. Deal with it as that and move on.

The Remington 870 is preferred by many people due to it’s (up until recently) all steel and wood construction and robust reliability. If you think otherwise and that you’re Mossberg 500 etc. is every bit its equal then take a Gunsite or its equivalent tactical shotgun course with a stock domestic shotgun and get back with me on it. FWIW I prefer the Mossberg 500 and 590 for their tang safety and superior barrels but was grateful for the forethought of taking an old 870 with me.

The AR 15 is basically still the current rifle of the US Military so we’ll leave that selection to rest, but the H&K 91 is another story. At one time it was among the most readily available 7.62x51 paramilitary semi auto rifles available. It was also more long term robust than the M1A, even if it does have a crappy trigger. People loved it in the 1970’s-1990’s. Some still do, if you’ve ever done any distance shooting with one set up with a scope you’ll be amazed.

Opinions are like belly buttons, we all have them, just keep in mind all of them are different. Don’t get caught up in debates or flights of artistic fancy. People who most often survive disasters rarely do so because of preparedness. Instead luck, karma or a mindset that allows them to cope with what they’re facing is what gets them through. Learn what you need to know but keep a flexible and adaptive mind as well.

I now own 3 glocks my self and the wife has 2 of her own. i also own a springfield 1911 and not a bad gun but i have to say ill stick to my glocks! can a 1911 with stand a any continental element you throw at it?

OK let’s break this down a bit and simplify the chest beating. An author can and will write anything they want in a novel of their own creation. Much of the survivalist fiction goes back to the heyday of the 1970’s where Mel Tappan drove the train on what was commonly accepted in survivalist firearms. Tappan was very knowledgeable on practical guns and unfortunately died far too young.

I’ve not read the book in question here and doubt that I will for that matter but bear this in mind, there are people who have never owned and shot any Glock pistols. Other’s simply don’t like the trigger or gripe ergonomics on them and prefer the 1911 instead. What you or I would choose is irrelevant to such people so the handgun selection is a non-issue. Deal with it as that and move on.

The Remington 870 is preferred by many people due to it’s (up until recently) all steel and wood construction and robust reliability. If you think otherwise and that you’re Mossberg 500 etc. is every bit its equal then take a Gunsite or its equivalent tactical shotgun course with a stock domestic shotgun and get back with me on it. FWIW I prefer the Mossberg 500 and 590 for their tang safety and superior barrels but was grateful for the forethought of taking an old 870 with me.

The AR 15 is basically still the current rifle of the US Military so we’ll leave that selection to rest, but the H&K 91 is another story. At one time it was among the most readily available 7.62x51 paramilitary semi auto rifles available. It was also more long term robust than the M1A, even if it does have a crappy trigger. People loved it in the 1970’s-1990’s. Some still do, if you’ve ever done any distance shooting with one set up with a scope you’ll be amazed.

Opinions are like belly buttons, we all have them, just keep in mind all of them are different. Don’t get caught up in debates or flights of artistic fancy. People who most often survive disasters rarely do so because of preparedness. Instead luck, karma or a mindset that allows them to cope with what they’re facing is what gets them through. Learn what you need to know but keep a flexible and adaptive mind as well.

It's a hypothetical question. So far I think the thread has been fine with no name calling and some people examining what they have for their own survival. This is a light hearted thread. I'm not asking which gun is better, I'm asking which is better in a survival only situation (which one would you outfit a group with).

Based on the justifications to choose the 1911, logically means following that premise to conclusion and you would actually have to choose a revolver. ;) I'm grabbing whatever is laying around and I have. Competition shooters favor the 1911 for the trigger and 5" barrel. You can get that in other guns as well, they just don't look as good.

Or they prefer the 1911 because one of the 3 stages is specified as "you shall shoot a 1911". A good revolver has as good a trigger out of the box, and as good a barrel and accuracy. For 1/5 the cost or less.

As far as the choice of weapons in the book, they had to choose a handgun that would fit more hands, including women's smaller hands. The 1911 is better in that regard. I remember reading the shareware version online in the mid-90s, I think. Probably was written even earlier. The Glock wasn't as popular then as it is now.

Concerning parts availability, I don't think I've ever bought a 1911 part that didn't need hand fitting. Not so with the Glock.

I would choose the Glock because of rust resistance, availability of parts right now and capacity. I carried a stainless 1911 for years that would routinely get rust spots from being against my sweaty self.

The HK 91 still makes no sense to me. A hard-kicking (from what I've heard), recoil operated rifle that destroys valuable brass? I'll take an M14/M1A, thank you.

Will

Clod Stomper,

Good summation on the 1911 and hand size. Of the Colt 1911 pistol's I've owned all ran 100% with ball ammunition and good magazines, cast bullets and hollow points were another story.

You are also 100% correct regarding the H&K 91 being a hard recoiling rifle, the M1A isn't bad at all. The semi auto BM 59 or M11/2 Garand (converted to 7.62x51 using M14 Magazines) and the FN FAL were also much in demand during the mid 1970 through late 1980's. I've owned the H&K 91, semi auto BM-59 (parts gun and junk) and M1A but not the FN FAL.

A Glock 17 with four or five magazines and a spare parts kit is a good common sense addition to an emergency kit for most of us. That said though in the end its really what you have avaliable to you if you really need it. Let's hope none of us see such a worst possible civil disaster.

If you're really talking SHTF for $600 or so you can have a Glock with conversion barrel that'll fire either the .40 or 9mm, whichever is at hand. (If you really wanted to fudge it you could still be under $900 and throw in a .22 rimfire conversion...all for less than many 1911's alone) Also, if the situation were bad enough that maintenance was iffy, even such rudimetary things as lubrication, then I'd much prefer a Glock.

I've got a 1911 and a Sig Elite and prefer "shooting" either to my Glocks. For the scenario presented it'd be a Glock.

I own a G17 and recently aquired a Springfield TRP. IMHO, two of the best fighting pistols on the planet. If I had to choose one for a self defense shootout, I'm taking the TRP.

But that is not the question of the OP, so for survival, I would take the G17. I have Sub2K that takes the G17 mags so it makes it a heck of a survival combo.

Edited by Rebels010

I typically dont like 1911's, I just cant shoot with them at all...doesnt matter if its a $400 Rock Island or a $3,000 NightHawk Ive shot them all and cant hold any consistent groups. I can pick up pretty much Glock,Sig,HK,CZ and shoot great with it,I just cant with 1911's. I DO LOVE the feel of a 1911 thats why I have owned several in the past even though I cant shoot with them.

In this situation the reason I would take the Glock over any other handgun I own is that, they have been put through the ringer time and time again and keep on ticking,they are the AK47 of the handgun world and then some imo. I would much rather shoot my HK USP Tac,CZ 75 TS,or MK 23 Socom than the Glock but for shtf the Glock is the one I would make sure to take with me.

Edited by ~48_South~