Considering new carry pistol: discussion of a difficult choice...

molonlabetn

Guest rufusgooch

I carry a Beretta 9000/40. Great gun. But the new PX4 in a 40 is the gu to have. Muzzle volecity and knock down. Many law enforcement offices are changing from 9mm to 40 s&W. The perfect slot from a 45 to a 9mm

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looked at the USP45... didn't care for the grip especially, nor the location of the safety/decocker. I might consider an LEM model, and I do like the feel of the USP45 Compact grip. Still, I am pretty much narrowed down to the DW 1911 CBOB 10mm or a SIG P220 SAS Carry... and based on what I'll be using it for, I'm thinking that I'd like to carry a 1911 again more than I'd like to carry a Sig again.

Guest sling

I've always found the full size USP a tad big as well. However, i'm not a .45 guy...never have been. I love my USPc 9mm. It disappears under a tshirt, its ultra reliable, and i can shoot better with it than any Sig or 1911. It's the pistol for me.

You'll find something. :D

Guest Law of Thirds

You could always split the difference and go with a Sig 1911 although to tell the truth, I'd rather have the DW 1911.

I have a real problem with the position of the decocker and slide release on the sigs as a lefty and a weak hand only situation might be something to think about with a carry gun.

Guest HexHead
I carry a Beretta 9000/40. Great gun. But the new PX4 in a 40 is the gu to have. Muzzle volecity and knock down. Many law enforcement offices are changing from 9mm to 40 s&W. The perfect slot from a 45 to a 9mm

I had a Beretta 9000 in .40 and hated it. I was all over the silhouette with it. Bought a Browning Hi Power (9mm) and took them both to the range. Again, I was all over with the .40 and all my shots were in the 9 ring or better with the BHP. A couple of weeks later when the next Goodman show rolled into town I traded my 9000 for a 2nd Hi Power.

I'm equally as accurate with the .45 in my 1911s. I just never bonded with the snap of the .40

Eddie, I think I've already discussed my love of the D-Dub CBOB with you. That's my pick, and I think getting it in 10MM is the choice I would make myself. I've shot the CBOB in.45 and it was great. I only shot 2 mags worth, but they were flawless and went where I was pointing. The only other 1911 I've shot that I was more accurate with was Disney's Kimber, but I think there's something about that one particular gun that makes it so great, so that doesn't count!

GO DW!!

Oh, you also need to buy it so I can shoot it!

I can afford to go to a pistol which is a bit larger for occassional carry. So, I'm thinking about a .45acp handgun along the lines of a Sig P220 Carry, an XD-45, or one of the new FNP-45s... but part of me leans heavily towards a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander in 10mm or .45acp.

Well since your rolling in the dough,why not appease the gun gods and get them all :koolaid:

I've been hearing some horror stories recently about P220 reliability... not sure how I feel about that.

You're joking, right?

There are no horror stories about 220s, except from die hard 1911 fans who cant stand the idea of a .45acp being totally reliable.

Only issue I ever heard of was with the P220 stainless and some of the slides had cracking issues.

It's a manufactured item. Anything made by man is subject to problems.

No, seriously, it seems that the newer P220s are having extractor problems here and there which are taking multiple trips back to the factory to fix.

Translation: One guy had this problem and posted it to every internet forum he was on.

The newer P220s use an external extractor, which is pretty simple to get right. I would have to see this first hand to take it seriously.

• Administrator

You know that I liked my P220 Carry SAO. You also know that I traded it off. Why? Too bulky given that there are plenty of other options for a reliable .45ACP in packages slightly smaller and more concealable.

I carried the P220 Carry SAO once and that was for 9+ hours in a VM2 holster. It was nowhere near as comfortable to carry as my HK P2000 or my 1911.

What about the HK 45C? Or the forthcoming M&P 45c? Those two really float my boat lately.

• Administrator
I had a dream last night that I was shooting a Dan Wesson CBOB...

Did you hear a voice from a burning bush at any time during this dream? It's clearly a John Moses Browning sort of thing happening here if you did. :D

Guest GT_Rat
You know that I liked my P220 Carry SAO. You also know that I traded it off. Why? Too bulky given that there are plenty of other options for a reliable .45ACP in packages slightly smaller and more concealable.

I carried the P220 Carry SAO once and that was for 9+ hours in a VM2 holster. It was nowhere near as comfortable to carry as my HK P2000 or my 1911.

What about the HK 45C? Or the forthcoming M&P 45c? Those two really float my boat lately.

The HK .45C gives me a woody. I've thought about trading my USP towards it.

• Administrator
The HK .45C gives me a woody. I've thought about trading my USP towards it.

Supposedly my brother is working on getting one of them to replace his Wilson Combat 1911. I'm going to have to shoot his a few times once he does. :D